Alpha Video Training

Thread: Do I make a new table?

Elsie Beall

Default Do I make a new table?

Hi there.

I'm building a database for someone that will contain customer and billing info. They have previously been using books to keep track of their info, and once the DB is complete, will want to enter all of their archives as well.

Should I create a separate form to enter the archived info that is tied to a separate table? Perhaps new tables for each archived year.

I've never used sets yet. Is that going to be a big project? If I use new tables for the archive info, I would still like to be able to use all of my current forms, reports and queries to manipulate the data.

Am I biting off more than I can chew here? The A5 manual is great for giving me really good definitions of the functions and I think in theory this can be done exactly the way I want it, but I'm having a really hard time with the syntax of my expressions etc.

Any help is most appreciated! Thanks!
    Elsie

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default RE: Do I make a new table?

I don't think you are biting off more than you can chew because you are asking all the right questions up front.

If I was going to do this, I would put a "Fiscal year" field in the table and whenever I needed particular info, I could use a filtered index or a query to find the year data. If you use separate tables for each year, your user will have to do a lot of setting up at each year end and it will make your job harder.

Elsie Beall

Default RE: Do I make a new table?

Thanks for the help.

Sometimes the easiest answer is the one you pass over just because it seems too easy!!