Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sales Tax Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax Report

I am trying to create a Sales Tax report and having difficulty. First, I created a data base which lists Date of transaction, Net Sales, Sales Tax, County (there are many Counties in NY to keep track of, and return net sales and Sales Tax returned). Every quarter I need to prepare a report on the sales taxes collected.

The report needs to look for records between month/01/2001 and month/01/2001 (3 months) and summarize the totals for net sales, sales tax, return net sales and returned sales tax by county.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Sales Tax Report

Jules:
    2 ways that I know might work.
    Method 1- In the transaction Table put fields for the following
    County code
    county name
    county tax rate.
    city code
    city name
    city tax rate

Create a county table with the fields
    County code
    county name
    county tax rate

Create a city table with the fields
    city code
    city name
    city tax rate
    All updates to the tax rates will be done in one of these tables.

When you enter records into the transaction table, you can do look ups on the county code and city code and fill in the names and rates.
    That way you will get the proper rate in the transaction table when the record is entered.
    Then you could just do reports from the transaction table.

Method 2
    Create the same fields in the transaction table
    Create the county and city tables
    add effective dates(to and from ) to both the county and city tables.
    Then you could use the post operation to look up the correct rates for the dates needed.
    Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Jules:
      If the rates change in the middle of the quarter
      (jan and Feb has a tax rate of .03)
      March increases to .035)
      You need the ability to calculate the correct rates for a period of time.
      Either method should work.
      Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Thanks Charlie,

However, I only have the fields mentioned because that is all that I need: County & rate (this is the only sales tax collecting authority). Then I have the net sales total and the sales tax fields for which I enter data for any day (date field) that I collect the taxes. The only other fields pertain to any returns of merchandise I enter, so I have a field for returns: one for sales total and sales tax with the date and county and rate for that record.

How would this affect what you suggested?

Jules

Comment

Jules:

Why dont you zip up your app and either post it on the board or send it to me so I can look at what you have.
          I do this all the time in our payroll app.
          In Indiana every county has a different tax rate depending on whether the person is a resident of Indiana or not.
          Ohio has school districts based on where the person lives and city tax based on where the job is.
          Charlie Crimmel

I still think you could have a county table with the county code, name and rate.
          County code
          county name
          county tax rate.

Create a county table with the fields
          County code
          county name
          county tax rate

All updates to the tax rates will be done in the county table.

When you enter records into the transaction table, you can do look ups on the county code and fill in the names and rates.
          That way you will get the proper rate in the transaction table when the record is entered.
          Then you could just do reports from the transaction table.

Comment

Jules,
            It sounds to me like you are collecting a single record for each sale transaction whether a sale or a return with a date. It is a simple matter within Alpha's report creation to create ask variables fromdate and todate and select records that fall within that date range. It is also simple to create summary calculated fields to add them up using the drag and drop expression genie. Then in the report parameters you could specify no detail section so that just the totals print out.
            John

Comment

Jules, We've been around the block several times calculating and reporting sales tax. A couple of questions first.
              1. Do you calculate on an accrual or cash basis or both? Not all states calculate the same way.
              2. If you calculate on a cash basis do you recieve payments for a charge in full or do you break it up into indvidual deposits on a charge?
              3. When you create a bill, are all of the charges taxable or can some be exempt?
              4. Do you have any customers that are always tax exempt customers included in the totals?
              5. Do you give the user the option to calculte the sales tax on an accural or cash basis?
              6. Do the reports you need have to have all the figures required to fill out a Sales Tax coupon?

If you can answer these questions I may be able share some of our sales tax nightmares and their solutions!
              Jeff

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by cash versus accrual: I collect the tax and pay the state every 3 months. I have a convuluted accounting system: I have been using One Write Plus (OWP) DOS version for years because they have a tracking system you can set up that can be applied to Sales Taxes. However, I just got a new computer with Windows XP and DOS programs are just not right for this system. I have tried almost all the other off the shelf accounting systems, including the OWP windows system but none have an ability to track numerous sales tax rates.

On my charges and invoices sales tax is broken down: subtotal for merchandise+sales tax=total amount. Some can be exempt but when I enter the data in the data base I created specifically for sales taxes, I have already taken this into account.

4. no
                5. no
                6. no, I can always do some manual work but I do need to get the totals for each tax rate for the 3 month period.

Thanks for your help,

Jules

Comment

Jules,

Accrual reporting means that the full taxable amount of an invoice is reportable at the time the invoice or charge is created, even if you have not received payment yet.

Cash reporting means that you are only responsible for sales tax on actual amount of cash received during the tax period.

In other words if you invoice something for $1000 and only recieve $500 on the invoice during the period, using accrual reporting you must still report $1000 and make payment on that amount. If you don't ever get the balance you have to file and adjustment at the end of the year. Using Cash reporting you would only have to report $500 and pay the tax collected on $500.

Accrual reporting is much easier to track as you don't have to deal with partial payments on charges but I believe some states still allow cash reporting. Most like cash reporting as you don't have to front the tax until you get it from the customer.
                  Jeff

Comment

I am a retail business so we book money as it is received. 95% of our sales are credit card, check or cash.

I hope I conveyed what I am trying to do correctly. I am trying to create this system so I can obtain a Windows based upgrade for my OWP accounting system. Since I know it can't track sales tax the way I need, I created the little data base with the fields mentioned in A5 so I could enter data about the sales taxes collected and get a report I could use when I filled out the State form quarterly.

Jules

Comment

Jules:
                      If you zip up your application so we can look at your tables and forms, I am sure that some one could help and send it back to you.
                      We are not interested in the data, just the forms layout and the formula being used in calculated fields.
                      That way we can better understand what you need.
                      Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Working...
                      X