Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

auto advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto advance

Hi Phorum,

I have a data entry form on a one-to-many set, with an embedded browse
    of the child table. The last field for each record in the child is a
    calculated field. When I press enter for the calc field to be entered
    I would like the first field of the next record entered automatically,
    in other words, the value is already there, I am just trying to save a
    key press for the user. I usually do this in field rules for non-calc
    fields, but how can it be done on a calc field?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    efs

RE: auto advance

efs,

It sounds to me like you want a specific field of a new record automatically filled in after completing the calculated field of the last record. If so, is the data you want entered into the field of the new record dependent on the data in the calculated field of the lasst record?

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken,

Yes, it is the same field and data that is entered earlier in the PO,
      so it is ready and waiting for enter or tab. In other fields that are
      not calc fields, sys_send_keys does it easily.

Thank you for reading,
      efs

Comment

efs,

What do you mean by, 'it is the same field'?
        What is and where is, what do you mean by the 'PO'?
        What do you mean by, 'so it is ready and waiting for enter or tab'?
        Does what easily? 'In other fields that are not calc fields, sys_send_keys does it easily.'

You description of what's happening needs clarification.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken,

I will try to be more specific, my earlier description left a lot to
          imagination. The application crates purchase orders (POs) for a food
          broker. It has a one-to-many set of orders to products and orders to
          po_items, as well as tables of clients, products,and ship_to addresses.
          The create order form is based on the set. The first entry into the
          form when starting a PO is the PO number. Then the clients, supplier
          and ship_to info is selected and filled in with popup lookup tables.
          The embedded browse beneath the above header is based upon po_items
          and needs to be linked to the header by a unique field, this field is
          po_num which is entered earlier in the header and hence fills in
          automatically into the embedded browse. Being the first field in the
          embedded browse, and always being correct, I would like it to be
          skipped over (but entered)automatically. The first record in the
          embedded browse does that now, since the last entry in the header is
          an address field and I have an event field rule on that of "sys_send_
          keys("{enter}"). However the last entry of each record in the embedded
          browse is a calculated field (extended Cost of "quantity*
          (price-discount). Now when the enter key is pressed to conclude each
          record in the embedded browse, I would like to make the first field of
          the ensuing record (po_num_)be automatically entered just like the
          first record. I hope this clears up the picture.

Thank you for listening,
          efs

Comment

efs,

I'm still fuzzy on what you want but this is my interpretation....

�The first entry into the form when starting a PO is the PO number.� Is this generated automatically or manually?

�Being the first field in the embedded browse, and always being correct, I would like it to be skipped over (but entered)automatically.� In the field rules, select the Data Entry tab and go to the bottom of the screen. In the Skip box, enter, .t. This will allow for the skip. I don�t know what you mean by �(but entered)automatically� if data in this field is entered in the header.

�I would like to make the first field of the ensuing record (po_num_)be automatically entered just like the first record. I hope this clears up the picture.� Why not use the auto increment feature?

kenn

Comment

Hi Ken,

The PO number on the header comes from the customer, not generated by
              the user, and it is the same number in the embedded browse allowing it
              to become the linking field for the set.

efs

Comment

One potential to avoid is creating a situation preventing you from arriving at the field - like you want to change the value, but your "rule" won't let you arrive.

If the first field in the browse is the po, it should be easy:

If I understand:
                You have an existing customer as the record in the parent table of the set, probably the top half of the form.

You have a child I'll call [purchases] in an embedded browse, probably on the bottom half of the form.

You are entering multiple orders for that customer, in the embedded browse, and all orders are using the same "purchase order number." Therefore, each new order should have the same PO.

I can think of more than one way to do this, but here is one:

Say the name of the form is "Orders".

on the orders form, put a global variable "vPONumber" �at the top of the form, the big �V�

go to field rules for the "purchases" table, and at the
                CanSaveRecord event for the table, (at the very top of field rules,) put:
                if is_object(":orders") 'if we are using that form
                ---t=table.get("orders")
                ---var->vPONumber=t.purchaseorder
                end if

OnEnterRecord event
                if is_object(":orders") 'if we are using that form; also be sure to use the colon
                ---t=table.get("orders")
                ---t.purchaseorder=var->vPONumber
                ---:orders:browse1.nextfieldnameonbrowse.activate() 'this achieves the "skip this field" effect
                end if

this immediately refreshes the browse. You could also use this for the date, too.

Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

Hi,

let me explain more. It is a food broker that uses the application.
                  He receives orders from a customer (who supplies the PO number)by fax
                  and then fills out the PO form and faxes it to the supplier. The
                  header of the form has name address etc of the supplier to which the
                  PO goes to, the bill to name addy etc, and the ship to name addy etc.

The bottom is an embedded browse whose first field is PO number, so it
                  can be used as a link for the set. Following is qty, stock_num,
                  description, price, discount, and finally the extended cost of qty*(price-discount) as the last field of the record.

The last field filled in before the first field of the first record of
                  the browse is a standard character field and it was easy to put
                  sys_send_keys("{enter}") in the onit event to click PO number into the
                  table.

Nowwwwwwww, here is what I want to do, since the last field of
                  each record in the embedded browse is a calc field, I have not found
                  the equivalent of sys_send_keys (to add tab or enter)for the PO number
                  in the first field of the next record. At present the user must hit
                  tab or enter before she can enter the qty. This thing is working very
                  well, I am just trying to save her a key punch. Whewwwwwwwww !

efs

Comment

if PO is the linking field for the child to the parent, then the parent has a PO field, too. So, don't put the po on the browse! - since it will always be the same as the parent!
                    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

Hi Martin,

It seems to me that if the PO number is not in the child, I'll get all
                      of the products from all of the records that are in the PO_items table
                      for what ever other field is used for linking. Am I in left field?

efs

Comment

Martin is not saying don't have it be a part of the child record. He is saying you don't have to include it on the browse since Alpha automatically fills in the field according to your set definition. If its not showing on the browse, you don't have to skip it.

Comment

OOPS, why didn't I recognize that. Thank you.

efs

Comment

Working...
                          X