Alpha Video Training

Thread: I require some help on spreadsheet link to Alpha 5

Ilesh Mistry

Default I require some help on spreadsheet link to Alpha 5

Hello

I have currently got an action plan, which has a list of all 'actions' completed or not. The 'actions' are also numbered, so therefore there is an 'action number'. The actions also have the person/people who it was done by. Also there is a 'target date' and 'accomplished date' and another date field to say what date it was recorded. So i have the following fields : - Action_no, Action (probably a memo), Done_by, Target_date, Accomplished_date and Date_of_meeting_notes. Now with these titles I require to know what software i can do them in, like Excel or something else. This is so I can link it to Alpha 5.
    I have it currently done in a Word table, but as the table gets larger and larger it would become much harder to retrieve, for example, all actions that have not been accomplished, or all actions done after a date specified etc... These therefore can't be done in Word.

I hope someone can assist me with this problem I have.
    Cheers
    Ilesh

Ilesh Mistry

Default RE: I require some help on spreadsheet link to Alp

Just something extra to thing about, if I do it in Excel then would the memo come out ok?
    Cheers
    Ilesh

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Why not do it all in Alpha rather than doing your entry outside of Alpha, then importing.

If you must import, Excel would seem to be the way to build the table. Consider the possibility of using a fixed width text field instead of a memo field.

Ilesh Mistry

Hi
    whats a fixed width length? is is something in excel? I can't do it in Alpha 5 because i have to pass the Action Plan on to people who don't know how to used Alpha 5.
    So i just need starting points on how i should go about this problem
    thanks

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I avoid memo fields. The table you are importing to in Alpha could have a character field for storing "Action (probably a memo)". When you create the table you set the width allowed. Make it 50 or 100 or even 200 (?) characters wide. Shouldn't this accomodate most Action descriptions/comments?

This eliminates the problems that sometimes occur with memo fields.

Ilesh Mistry

Ok
    I understand what you are saying about the width for character. But i don't know whether to write up the action plan in Excel or in Alpha 5? Will i be able to convert it back to Excel if i do it in Alpha 5?(because I have to send it to someone else)
    thanks
    Ilesh

Thomas Henkel

If others need to see the chart(?) then why not build a small app and let them run it with alpha runtime software? Why use multiple programs when one will work just fine. Runtime gives them the ability to use pre-defined forms to view/change data, but not modify the structure of your tables. Runtime is fairly inexpensive. You then don't haveto try to support an app in alpha and another in excel.

Tom

Ilesh Mistry

Good point, but I just think if they do not know how to use it, then it can be very difficult. Also we can not go and install it on another computer because it is in another city. So we send it by email.
    But I would really like some suggestions on how i can achieve my task of creating an 'action plan' in either Alpha 5 or Excel, but then i want to be able to print selections off, like the actions that take place at a certian time, so therefore alpha 5 would be more practical, but there will be others viewers without Alpha, so thats why i need to be able to view it in Excel(or something) too. I most require to use both Alpha 5 and Excel(or something).
    Thank you
    Ilesh

ROBERT SULLIVAN

You can open the *.dbf using excell and opening the worksheet using dbf format

Real Name
    Lowell Wardlow

Robert - or you can export your table, or any selected records from it, directly to an excel file, and/or import from excel to your table.

Lowell

Ilesh Mistry

Yes, but how do you do this process?

ROBERT SULLIVAN

Go to the operations tab, right click in white area and left click on new. go to export. open either the genie or the operation card and export type is excel.