Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Drawing with Alpha (Proposals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing with Alpha (Proposals)

I own a consturction company and would like to design a Form for that the sales staff fills out that would then print out a page as a proposal. Much like you would wright up a proposal by hand. We usually include line drawings of the house very simple and can be done with a simple cad program or even with MS Paint.

I was wondering if Alpha can be set up to draw a small line diagram of the house (arial view)? If it can is it possiable to create a clip art that could be draged into the drawing too?

If not is there a program that could be incorporated into Alpha to alow this?

If both of the above are no goes, is there someone I could hire to make one that would work, or do you have a better idea?

Thanks Much

Jared

RE: Drawing with Alpha (Proposals)

The only think I can think of is to make the sketches in MS Paint or any other program that allows you to save it as a 256 color .bmp file (even if it's only black and white) and put it on the form/report using the file name as a 'pointer' to change the bitmap image at the time of viewing(fetching)/printing.

Do a search on bitmap report or "show bitmap on forms" (include the quotes on the last one) for more details.

Comment

Jared,

I have had reasonable success with using OLE to incorporate CAD drawings into an application. I do on occasion get an error which I have not been able to elminate. After the error I have to compact the database before I can continue to populate the OLE field with the CAD drawings. I am not sure where the error originates, it sometimes appears to be generated by the OLE server & other times Alpha5. The OLE function call used to import OLE objects uses very basic instructions for the import ....

Imports from ole32.dll
      StgIsStorageFile(hint = 0091)
      StgCreateDocfile(hint = 008f)
      StgOpenStorage(hint = 0093)

hope that this is of some help

Comment

Jared, Are you putting a bid together? The reason I ask is I've written a full blown construtction job tracking and payment request app very similar to the AIA structure. You can create a bitmap field in right in your table structure and then import the drawing into the bitmap field. Any time that bid has focus the bitmap will display. A5 has a bug in it in that area. If you drag a table field bitmap onto a form and then click in the field the program will crash. To avoid this just cover the bitmap field with a transparent text box and set the properties to 'Always on top'. You can email me if you would like more detailed info.
        Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Your application sounds intriguing. Here's my situation:

A relative is in healthcare, & has need for an application that would let him store drawings on an anatomical image along with patient notes. For example, patient has a sore shoulder; application would let user draw/label the shoulder that hurts, & draw freestyle lines and/or circles, squares etc to identify/label other parts that are affected.

If your application can be modified to deal with the use described, I may have a new market for your work. Shoot me a reply here if you're interested.

Comment

Greg, What you need to do should be easy for you to accomplish. If you create a simple set with two tables, lets call the tables 'patients' and 'patitent_problems'. The 'patients' table the parent and the 'patitent_problems' a one to many link on whatever ID you want to use to identify the patient. Include a bitmap field in the 'patitent_problems' table along with any other data needed. Then you can just find the patient in the parent table and add as many records to the 'patitent_problems' table as you like. Each of them having its own bitmap. If you scanned the chart you want to use you can edit the chart in any grapics program you want, paint, etc. When you edit the chart you can draw on it with the mouse or get a mouse pen. Drag a 'patitent_problems' browse onto the form and then put a blown up field of just the bitmap on it. When you find the patient you want in your parent table, all you have to do is page up and down throught he browse and the bitmaps will display.
            Hope this helps.
            jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

from your earlier post I'd thought you'd somehow integrated drawing functionality in an Alpha app. Storing bitmaps is easy; the hard part is always making it transparent to the user that they're using a combination of applications.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I didn't intend to sound unappreciative in my first reply - was in a time bind & failed to thank you for your response, which confirmed an approach I'd suggested to a prospect.

Comment

I wanted to thank you for your ideas. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. I'll try a few of the options you suggested. I have had problems with doing the above in v.4 maybe V.5 is the charm?

Thanks again!

Jared

Comment

My suggestion would be to purchase a low-end/low memory easy to
                    use program that can save the picture to a bitmap file. Most
                    programs can probably do this. And then use Alpha as a kind of
                    library tool. The only problem I see with this is that the
                    burdon on A5V4 is a bit heavy, in my opinion, because of the
                    relatively large size of bitmaps. Keep in mind that you could place
                    a button on a form to start the third party program. Convince
                    your client not to reinvent the wheel. Besides, the graphics
                    program might even be available in shareware or freeware. Finally,
                    note that Version 5 will be able to accept JPG I think and that
                    should really help. I currently use Alpha to store 70 Megs of
                    bitmaps in one file on a network. Lotus Notes couldn't handle the
                    job! Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Totally agree re: the bitmap size problem. Integration of a drawing app is also a fiddle; that's why my hopes got so high seeing your initial post. We'll just keep our eyes open....

Comment

Tom,

Do you know of any Drawing programs that are customizable. Such as ones that you can create your own tools or drag and drop your own pictures in the drawing. Some have furnature or bathroom apliances, wire fram imiages to place on the drawing. Is there a program that you know might do that?

Thanks

Jared

Comment

You might try looking at Microgafx Designer ... this has a tool that allows you to store images you design and use them in brushes etc.

John

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a look!

Jared

Comment

Working...
                            X