Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Based Front End for Alpha Five?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Based Front End for Alpha Five?

I work with a company that has bi-annual conferences so they wanted to utilize web-based registration for those conferences. They initially wanted to try A5, but that wasn�t feasible so they used a product called Cvent. Don�t know much about Cvent, however, it does export the data in character delimited text format, making for a relatively easy transformation back into A5.

Just the other day, I went to Adobe�s website where I read about their new, relatively inexpensive [$39] product, called Acrobat Approval 5.0, and wondered if it would work well with Alpha Five. The Adobe product allegedly makes it easy to create web based data input forms, which you can use to accept online information from users. It sounds perfect for things such as conference registration. The product information sheet says the software allows workgroups to quickly fill in, save, and approve electronic forms created in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF).

The documentation also states there is built in support for HTTP, XML, ODBC, WebDAV, and JavaScript. It says you can integrate Adobe PDF e-forms with Web browsers and back-end databases such as Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.

Forgive my possible ignorance, but since A5 is ODBC compatible, could we use this apparently easy to use/set up product as a front end to retrieve data for an Alpha Five application?

RE: Web Based Front End for Alpha Five?

Since it is ODBC compatible I would think it would work, however the only way to know for sure is to try it.

I've used Php4 and the cost is zero and there are many examples on the web.
    If you look at the file extension for this message board they are php3.
    Works for alphasoftware and just maybe the backend database is a5v4, maybe.

Nick

Comment

I am still not sure what Php4, is it a programming language for web based applications?

I just checked out my new copy of PC Magazine and they had a short review of web database programs, one of which was QuickBase by Intuit. Apparently it is also very easy/inexpensive to set up, however, I believe QuickBase uses a proprietary language that is probably incompatible with Alpha Five. But then again, what do I know about web based programming?

Comment

I worked a bit with quickbase, but I couldn't get around the security issue of one user being able to see the data of other users, and that made me nervous.
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat:

When you worked with QuickBase, were you able to exchange data with Alpha Five files?

Comment

Robert,
            PHP is a web progamming language that allows you to connect to several different
            database type and work with a tables data. Php and Html are used together to display data on the web. PhP will also work with XML to read the xml format and return data that may be formated to update a database table .

There are other languages like Java that will do a better job but the learning curve is much steeper.

Hope this helps
            Nick

Comment

Nick:

Will php or java work with a non-sql database like A5?

-Bill

Comment

Hi William,

Yes, but the dbf format is probably PHP's weakest supported db format.

Jim

Comment

Sql syntax works with A5.
                  Php works best with Mysql but for many others ODBC is provided.

Nick

Comment

So the db driver that you would call from your PHP or Java (actually I am trying to work with Java), would be an odbc data source that you have previously set up in your Windows control pannel? And this would be an odbc source pointing to the A5 tables that you want to manipulate, using the Fox Pro 2.6 driver? As you can tell, I am new to this. Thanks for any help.

-Bill

Comment

Question.

Why use foxpro 2.6

I normally use dbase 5 when going through odbc

Just curious

Dave
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I saw the Fox Pro 2.6 driver recommended on this board at some point and was able to create a working odbc source which I used with Cold Fusion to read A5 tables. (I have tried going the other way - i.e. creating an odbc source using an Oracle driver to allow A5 to read Oracle tables - with no success.) The Fox Pro 2.6 driver (not the Visual Fox Pro driver) does seem to allow other programs access to A5.

As I am new to Java though, I am wondering if you would use an odbc source (or just use an appropriate db driver) to look at A5 tables. I guess I have some more searching/reading to do.

-Bill

Comment

A5's file format is reported to be specifically Foxpro 2.6, not dBase.
                          Thank you,
                          Mike Konoff

Comment

Working...
                          X