Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Trace window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trace window

Have "cleared" the Trace Window I don't know how many times. After clearing it and returning, it's clear. However, the window keeps popping up and telling me to check the Trace Window. Sure enough, I'll go there and all the messages are still there -- even though they've been cleared many times before. Not sure which is going to wear out first, my finger or the mouse button. How do I clear the Trace Window once and for all by sending the messages therein to the electronic Valhalla?

RE: Trace window

Richard,

Usually when you are notified to check the trace window it is because there is an error of some sort & the problem is further described in the trace window.

What does the message say that tells you to check the trace window? It may be that you are having trouble with an objects name that is on your form, copy the contents of the trace window & post it to the message board. I am sure that there is a simple explanation....

Comment

Doug is right, it's because of an error, a field that is supposed to be reference but no longer is or any number of other reasons. You've not doubt deleted something but didn't take care of the object that references what you deleted.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

The dialog box says, "There are 42 warnings. Please view the trace window for details."
        The 42 messages are as follows: (1 -> 42)
        Odd numbers: Error opening (variable name)
        Even numbers. Error adding validation rule to the database engine.
        I have gone back in and for each variable deleted the min and max values. In my opinion, the error was caused by the program's (not mine) addition of an underline character after the values. Even after deleting the values, the underline character remains. Appears to be 5 underline characters for both min and max. My guess is that these are not valid values; however, I cannot delete them, yet the program doesn't like 'em.
        Though I complain about bugs, the response is that it 'taint so. However, one should be able to enter min and max values. Yes, the fields are defined as numeric. Thanks for any insights you might have; albeit, in this circumstance, I don't know what it might be.
        Dick

Comment

Richard,

I think this is usually a situation where Alpha can't find the variable name. Are all the fields showing data as they're are supposed to show data? If not, start there and find out why the data is no showing properly. That wiil solve your Trace window problems.

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

This is a table that has data going back to 1988 for every working day (Mon. - Fri.). The fields and data are all there in this basic table that is used as a reference. All the variable names do appear in the structure, just as they're referenced in the trace window.
            Over the many years in trying to shuffle these electrons around I have run across situations that seem to have no explanation. I just chalk 'em up to a memory log (mostly forgotten)in Rod Serlings time warp, "Twilight Zone." Oh well.
            Questions like, where do the underlines come from, why can't they be deleted? And the listing grows. No point in losing any sleep over it, although it is troublesome.
            Dick

Comment

FWIW
              At one time I deleted fields from a table before I deleted the fields from the related forms. Each time the form was opened, the trace window would fill with warnings. I was unable to remove the offending fields from the form and had to redesign the form from scratch. I since have deleted the fields from forms first, then delete from the tables without problems.

Comment

Makes sense, but I don't believe it applies in this case. As I said, I've been using the table since 1988, in Alpha4. I have not deleted any fields in it since the table has served well these many years.
                Which reminds me, I did try to copy the trace window, in two ways,i.e, via Edit -> Copy, and with Cntrl + C. In neither case can it be brought into Word. The cut,copy, paste are greyed out and the Cntrl + V doesn't work either.
                It would be handy to put in Word for easier reading since the trace window ostensibly reaches out about five windows to the right ( a guess). Another entry for the "Twighlight Zone."
                Thanks for the suggestion though. Well to keep in mind.
                Dick

Comment

I've done the same thing, but instead of redesigning the form I added fields with the proper names back to the table, then deleted them from the form, then deleted from the table again.

Not sure which way is easier. Depends on the form I suppose.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                  X