Alpha Video Training

Thread: Trace window

Real Name
    Richard A. Froncek

Default Trace window

Have "cleared" the Trace Window I don't know how many times. After clearing it and returning, it's clear. However, the window keeps popping up and telling me to check the Trace Window. Sure enough, I'll go there and all the messages are still there -- even though they've been cleared many times before. Not sure which is going to wear out first, my finger or the mouse button. How do I clear the Trace Window once and for all by sending the messages therein to the electronic Valhall?

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Trace window

Normally, if messages are being written to the trace window, either Alpha is sending a message about an error or internal operation or you have explicitly sent a message using the trace.writeln() command in a script. If a message is popping up telling you to check the trace window, this is an indication of a problem. Carefully check the trace message for an explanation of what A5 has found. A very common problem is referencing non-existent fields on a form. If you create a form, report, whatever and then change or delete a field name, a error will show in the trace window when you try to open the form that referenced that field. Fix the problem, and the messages will stop.

Jerry

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Sorry,

Didn't see the other post. I am able to duplicate your problem. By any chance is the number for the min and max validation rule at the right side of the undelines in the min and max boxes? Example "_____4". One oddity I have found is that if Alpha gives an option for a number, it must be entered in the far left position. Example: "4_____" This is true in entering values in field rules or using an operation genie. Otherwise, A5 seems to think the value is actually a character, which is invalid.

Jerry

Real Name
    Richard A. Froncek

The numbers, with underscore to the right, appear as 9_.
    Actually, as I recall, since I've since deleted the mins ans maxes, (though they'd be good to have), there was one underline character to the right. The min was 1_ and the max 10_. Upon deletion, to "fix" the trace window, the fields appeared as _____. I am not able to delete the underscores.
    From your comment, I guess the system adds the underscore in all cases. I thought it was a bug, since it would make reading the field more complicated, parsing the field. For what purpose?
    Dick

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Dick,

Don't know why the program puts the underscores there other that to show the width available. From your mention of the error generated, it would appear that the number entered was not in the first left hand position. Therefore, A5 evaluated it as a character entry rather than numeric. What I do is position the cursor in the field and then use the backspace arrow to get to the first position. Has worked so far.

Jerry

Real Name
    Richard A. Froncek

I'll try it again, but I thought that's what I had done.
    Dick