Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Speech Recognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech Recognition

Is Alpha Five v 4.5 compatible with any speech recognition program? It would sure make the day go faster for this dyslexic, two finger typist, to dictate the field information into my database.

RE: Speech Recognition

Stephen, If your speech recognition program is resident you should be able to use it with any program including A5.
    Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Thank you for the response. I have IBM Via Voice, personal edition. I tried it with 4.5 but nothing happened. Is there something that needs to be configureed?

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Speech recognition gobbles horsepower. With a 700 Hz Pentium and 128 meg, Dragon is intolerably slow but does work. I would suspect that this might work with the new Gega processors and much ram.

Comment

John,

Thank your for your response. I went to the Dragon web site. I could not find Alpha 5 on their compatibility list. Is there a special version I should see?

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Stephen,

I'm not surprised that Dragon has not tested Alpha 5 for compatibility. I would suspect that they only routinely address the mainstream products.

I'm using Dragon Naturally Speaking 5. It can transcribe information into Alpha 5, but it does so very slowly and would not be acceptable for everyday usage. I'm using a 700 Pentium with 128 meg of memory. You would not find the performance acceptable for filling in database information.

It is my understanding that speech recognition programs are memory and speed sensitive. I spend considerable time writing reports and do make use of the speech recognition software. In order to get it to understand my dictation, many hours of additional training were necessary to minimize errors. While the software does a surprising job of recognizing dictation with limited training, productive use requires extensive ongoing effort.

I would suspect that Alpha 5 competes with available memory and is part of the reason for the slow transcription. I've been curious as to the effect that additional memory would have been speeding up the application. With memory costs so low, I have been tempted to give it a try but have not had the time to add additional memory. My database applications center around people's names, addresses etc. Speech recognition software really doesn't work well for these applications, since it cannot differentiate spelling of common names - ie Lindsay and Lindsey.

Bottom-line, speech recognition software has come a long way over the past few years and is now marginally acceptable for dictation but as a long way to go before it becomes prime time.

If you follow the computer industry, everyone's looking for the killer application that will drive users to the new super processors. Right now games, video and graphics benefit most from these high-speed processors. Spreadsheets, word processing and databases generally run fine with exiting CPU. If this additional speed can take speech recognition to the next level, manufacturers may have the killer application that are looking for. Right now this is not the case.

I would say that we are still a few years away from what you are looking for, but I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has had a more positive experience in using a speech recognition program successfully.

Comment

John,

Take you for your insightful response. I too have a 750/120 meg Pentium III. I noticed something interesting in using Alpha 5. My son (the molecular biologist) was playing around with my computer and turned on all the sensors on Norton utilities. I noticed that when I went into Alpha 5 the CPU usage sensor indicated that Alpha 5 was using 100 percent of the CPU. I asked Alpha 5 about this but they did have an answer. Has anyone else noticed this condition?

Regarding speech recognition and names, ViaVoice does have a spelling mode, which is useful.

Regarding Dragon, which version, or will all work, with Alpha 5? Does dragon have a spelling mode? Even if it is slow and Alpha 5 it might be faster than this two finger typist.

Thanks again for your comments.

Steve

PS this was dictated with ViaVoice

Comment

John,

Memory and CPU speed are both critical to speech recognition. If you are limited in memory, then hard drive speed is also important. Alot of memory would be the greatest benefit here. (256Megs or 384Megs I believe would be great. More never hurts, but there are diminishing returns at some point. The cost of memory has never been cheaper!)

Alpha 5 needs a fair amount of memory (but not nearly as much as speech recognition) and fast hard drives.

Put those both together and it means you should have a lot of memory. As much as is reasonable for you.

There is one other thing that everyone can do to speed up their systems. This is a no-cost, no-risk thing to speed up the hard disk on some (actually most) systems.

1. Go to the Control Panel.
                2. Start "System" icon
                3. Go to it's Device Manager Tab
                4. expand the Disk Drives item
                5. For each hard disk (and for CDROM and other non-floppy drives too) select properties.
                6. Under properties, choose the Settings tab and check off the DMA checkbox if available. Ignore the stupid Windows warning it will make. This was put in there for really bad clone motherboards that just don't exist
                7. Reboot the system, then check the properties and see if the DMA is still checked. If it is (and previously wasn't), you should see a real speed increase as well as CPU utilization go down tremendously.

Windows almost always defaults with the DMA box not checked off, so invariably, most systems are setup wrong.

Finally, send me $20 for making your computer work so fast!!!! (Just Kidding!!)

{:?)

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design & Associates
                [email protected]
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility