Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Optimize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimize

I use the optimize feature but have one question. If I optimize for the first time (no files in the shadow directory) the optimize feature works FINE. I can manipulate the data with no problems. However, if I perform a REFRESH I suddenly get path errors and I have to delete all the files and start over. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

RE: Optimize

Philip,

The quick answer is probably nothing. This has been an issue for a long time. Search the forum for "optimize" or "shadow" and you will get a lot of information and workarounds. A number of users have posted scripts that do essentially the same operation and are more reliable.

The odd think is that this problem is not consistant. I have one app that works just fine with refesh_shadow() most of the time, but every once in a while.....

Another thought is to be careful about hard coding paths in scripts and other references. This can cause all kinds of problems on a network. The fact that your network optimize works and refresh doesn't suggests this is not your problem.

Jerry

Comment

Philip,
      Jerry's comments not withstanding, when you optimize, you do so from the source database, when you refresh you do so from the shadow - right?
      Peter
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

1. Starting off fresh, I open my DB, close my opening form, go to file, Network Optimize, when the optimize window appears I verify that I am in the SHADOW folder and then click on SAVE. Optimize works like it should.

2. For refresh, I open my DB, close my opening form, go to file, click on REFRESH. A5 goes through its motions. However, I can't remember exactly what I am doing but I will get the "WRONG PATH ERROR".

3. If I go into Windows explorer, delete ALL the files in the shadow folder and redo #1 I am home free with NO problems.

Thanks

Comment

Phil,

After refresh you must close your application and reopen it, I guess.

That is what I do and never had problems, but it may be something else causing the problem. I am not an expert so....

Regards

JP

Comment

Philip, to clarify:

1. You open the source db and you optimize - thus creating a shadow, presumably under the c:/program files/a5v4/shadow/ directory (Note / = backslash). The source db of course is not located in the above directory.

2. You open th shadow db located in the :/program files/a5v4/shadow/ directory and you refresh. This is where you get a problem?

If I have under stood your steps correctly as described above, then a hard coded path may be the problem or perhaps a mis-directed path in the Window's A5 start-up icon or A5 start-up file (if you have one).

Peter
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I have to be at work to verify this but after what you have talked about I have a question.

I believe I have opened my db using the SHADOW folder. Then I do the REFRESH from the Shadow. Should I open the DB from the original source and do the optimize instead of the shadow? I hope you understand what I am asking.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, you refresh from the shadow, but you optimize from the source.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I found a solution. I CANNOT refresh from the shadow. I have to open the DB from the server and ask for optimize. Answer YES to the question to overwrite the DB and then everything works fine. I don't know why, but I feel the refresh from shadow should have the SAME results.

Comment

You should be able to refresh the shadow so it would seem that there is something wrong in your setup - probably related to pathing.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                    X