Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple lines on Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple lines on Report

Help please can any one show/tell me how to make a report come out like this.

Q U O T A T I O N

1st Floor Bedroom
    2 Pairs Net Curtains

Will require 5 metres Voile �35.75
    To Make Only 2 Pairs Net Curtains �35.00
    To Supply & Fix 2 Corded Curtain Tracks �45.00

1st Bath Room
    Fabric Valance

Will require 1.5 metres fabric Client Supply
    1.5 metres Lining �5.25
    To make only 1 Fabric Valance �35.00

2nd Bath Room
    Fabric Valance & Roller Blind

Will require 1.5 metres fabric Client Supply
    1.5 metres Lining �5.25
    To make only 1 Fabric Valance �35.00
    To Supply & Fit 1 Roller Blind �75.00

Master Bedroom
    2 Pairs Net Curtains & 2 Blackout Roller Blinds

Will require 5 metres Voile �35.75
    To Make Only 2 Pairs Net Curtains �50.00
    To Supply & Fix 2 Corded Tracks �45.00
    2 Blackout Roller Blinds �150.00

Top Floor Bedroom
    1 Pair Net Curtains

Will require 6.5 metres Voile �42.90
    To Make Only 1 Pair Net Curtains �22.50
    To Supply & Fix 2 Corded Curtain Tracks �35.00

All the � amounts should line up.

Is this possible?

Keith Hubert
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

RE: Multiple lines on Report

It's absolutely possible. A lot depends upon the structure of your database in the first place, but at a minimum, you'd need a field for the room, another field for the description of each priced item, and a third field for the price of the item.

For your report, you would sort and group by room, then in the detail section, place your description field to the left, and your price field far enough to the right that you have room for your longest description.

This is a very simplified version of what you probably want to do, but what you describe can be achieved several ways.

Comment

Paul explained this very well. What you might also want is a sequence field ( eg 001 002 003 ) to force the order of certain lines in your printed quotation rather than relying on the order that you originally enter them. Group by room and sort by the sequence number. You may forget to enter the description line without a price that preceeds the lines with amounts. If you go back and enter it, you want a way to force that line to print prior to the lines with prices. As Paul mentioned, the look of the report depends mostly on a well structured database.

Comment

Paul and John

Thanks for your replies. You both say that I should have a well structured data base, I think that is also where I am having a problem. Do I have lots of small tables or just 2 or 3 big ones. As You can see from my Quotation report we like to show the variouse elements that go into the cost of making drapes etc.

Thanks again for your advice.

Keith Hubert
        London
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Keith,

The size of the table isn't as important as the size of the set. Some tables are only 2 fields while others are quite large. Alpha can accomodate unlimited records and 1,024 fields in a table. (How big is your hard drive?) A lot depends on what data you need to track and it's relationship to the "customer".

Take a look at the invoice application that comes with A5 and examine the tables and set. This will jog some thoughts on how you should structure your application. You might want to check out the 1st chapter of the Users Guide. Even if you've read it a few times, it's always good to 'go back to the basics'.

No doubt, others will have additional (and better) advise.

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Keith -
            one of my big AHA's in figuring out databasing was screens and reports do not have to have the same tables and sets. A screen form can look and work great, but not report well.

What I did was lay out the report I wanted (as you have) then figure the underlying table that would make this report a piece of cake to make, then figure how to swap data from the tables that support the forms to the table that support the report. This sounds complicated (and I hate to say it does take a little work) but it RUNS like a dream. I zap the report table, then fill it with an append operation, flesh it out with an update operation, then produce the report...

Comment

The first thing to do is sit down with a pad of paper and make a list of the discrete pieces of information you wish to store. Any time you have a piece of information and you can project that you will want to retrieve, calculate, sort, or otherwise manipulate only part of it, you should break it in to two or more fields. For example, rather than having NAME as a discrete piece, it's helpful to have a separate field for FIRSTNAME and another for LASTNAME. When storing the address, it's best to have separate fields for STREET, (and probably a second field for more information for more complex addresses), CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, and POSTALCODE.

As you list each bit of information you wish to store, you can start to identify which of Alpha 5's field types would be appropriate and determine how large the field should be. In general, unless you plan to do calculations on numeric data (in which case numeric field type would be best), the character field type is a good choice. For dates, obviously, the date field type is best.

If you set up what you need with a single table and find (or can anticipate) that certain fields are filled with the same data as the same fields in other records, you'll want to consider taking those fields and creating a separate table and then creating a set to link the tables together.

It works best to start with a simple, basic design and enough data to test what you're trying to do and then build more complexity into your design as you try different ways to accomplish what you want to do and find the way that is best for you.

Comment

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your reply.
                The reason I was asking about whether to have one table with many fields apart from the customer table, which of course would be the parent, was, the report that came out was very strange. First it gave me the details of one child table then the other child. I had all the fields in the detail section in a rich text box. So now I will try it again with all the data in one table. The other problem I found was that I could not make a calculated field in field rules using a field from another table even though it was in the same set. Any thoughts?

Keith Hubert
                London.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

"First it gave me the details of one child table then the other child."

Just the behavior described in the manual for a situation in which you have two child databases feeding into the detail section of a report. The manual suggests using subrerports in this situation.

"I could not make a calculated field in field rules using a field from another table even though it was in the same set."

Reconsider where you're trying to set up a calculated field. From the control panel, click on the set for which you wish to create a calculated field. Click on the Design button, and from the field definition screen, click on the button on the toolbar with the "xy". This opens a window to allow you to create calculated fields for the set, and you can use any fields from the parent or child databases. As a bonus, fields you define this way will be available in the drag and drop list for any forms, reports, letters, or other layouts you create for this set.

Comment

Keith -

create the single table without a thought to the parent child tables. BUT use fields from those tables (you will fill them with an append). OK, now you can make your report based on this table.

Next you need to create an append operation that will post the data that you want from the child table.

Next create an update to fill the fields from the parent table using lookup functions based on the linking key theat ties the parent to the child.

Then put it together with a script. You can do it with an action script.
                    1. Zap report table.
                    2. append from child. (you may need a little extra code to create the filter as needed)
                    3. update it if necessary
                    4. prodsuce the report.

Stev

Comment

Hi Paul

Thank you for your help it is very helpful, I have so much still to learn about Alpha.

I have tried using a subreport but I think there is a small problem somwhere, probably me. When I preview a report with a Subreport in the detail section, I get the attached error message. Your help please.

Keith Hubert
                      London.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                      X