Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem printing reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem printing reports

I had a whole purchase order form database setup on a computer. They purchased a new computer and printer and asked me to transfer all the database and program to the new computer. I did a new installation of the program and copied the database from one computer to the other.

Now, everything works except that I can't print from any print buttons on the form or the title bar. The printer is properly installed and works with the other programs.

Thank you

Denis Manibal

RE: Problem printing reports

Hi Denis,

What does it do when you press the print buttons - no response or just nothing sent to printer???

Mike

Comment

Nothing at all, not even the printer icon at the bottom right of the screen, I press many times and nothing happen. Connections are OK.

Denis

Comment

Hi Denis,

Trying going into the control panel and running a preview of the report and then click on the printer icon above.

You might want to set the report to default printer if not already.

Sorry about all the questions but without being there is a process of elimination.

If it works from there then look behind the buttons for lost paths etc.

Mike

Comment

Denis, here are the things I'd check:

1) Was a specific printer identified in the properties of each report layout when the layout was designed, or are they set to use 'current windows default printer' ? If a specific printer was 'hard coded' into the report layout, through its properties, then that's probably what's causing the problem. The report is looking for a specific printer and it's not there.

2) After Alpha Five was reinstalled on the new pc, did you run Print Setup ? It's an option on the File menu list, in the control panel. Can Alpha Five see the new printer?

3) Is the printer local, and attached directly to the new pc, or is it out there on the network somewhere? You may have to change network settings to be able to share a network printer... again, can Alpha Five see the printer ok?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Mike,

when I do a print preview it says "No printer configured" and if I look in print set-up, I see my printer and it is the only one. If I have only one printer do I still have to default to it?

Keep asking questions, this is the only way we can find the problem.

Thank you

Denis

Comment

Hi Tom,

1) It is possible that a specific printer was identified in the properties of the report, I would have to check. Right now, on the new PC it is set-up as 'current windows default printer'. If a printer was hard coded, how do I fix the problem?

2) Yes, I did run print set-up and my printer is listed there.

3)The printer is local.

Thank you guys for the help

Denis

Comment

Denis, open the report layout in design mode, and check the properties of the report itself. If a specific printer is specified there, change it to 'use current windows default', then save the report layout.

-- tom

Comment

Hi guys,

problem solved. I played with the printer tab in the report properties, I still had error messages and noticed that there was something wrong with the top and bottom margins.

Made some tests and it is working.

Thanks for your help

Denis

Comment

Just to round this out, I learned the hard way that you have to design a report with the end user printer in mind. The simplest way to do this is to install that printer's driver and set it to the windows default during development or at least when you are developing reports.

Some of my users at school had these inkjets which have a slightly larger non-printing area than lasers do. When I realized what was going on, it was easy to download the driver for the inkjet and develop for that. And if a report works on an inkjet then it also works on a laser (so far).

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Re: Problem printing reports

Hi Denis,
                      I know this is an old post. I would like to share my printing experience with fellow developers.

I had this exact error when I tried to print preview or print to a printer - "driver for \\server01\OKi390 not found". The problem was with Alpha, not Windows (XP or Windows 7).

In the developer machine, when you design your report, Alpha automatically defaults the printer to whatever your Windows default printer is (in my case, mine was a networked printer- \\server01\OKi390 ). The report will print fine as long as this printer name do not change on the other machines. If you try manually go back to the report design screen to change the printer- the printer is hard code on the report and will not work.

Resolution:
                      -you don't have to rewrite your report, just duplicate it (right click on your report under the Reports tab in the Control Panel); right before you save this newly modified report, make sure you select Windows default as the printer - not your current printer default. That's it! Problem is fixed!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X