Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

VIRUS ALERT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIRUS ALERT!!!

Greetings, all:

Last night at around 02:00 AM, I received a suspicious email with an attached file named "MYCLIENT2.XLS.PIF" from fellow board user Aaron Strickland.
    I have never personally communicated with him, as memory recollects, so I
    found this an unlikely scenerio. On further inspection, I found the
    attached file was infected.
    I did recognize the name from the board, but the message was very generic, as
    listed here...
    "Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks"

I emailed Aaron at around 02:30 AM, but have received no response, either
    because he has not picked up his email, or because he is dealing with the virus
    on it's terms!
    As I have never received an email from him before, I am puzzled as to why I
    was in his address book, but perhaps is was routed in a different manner?
    Here is a copy of the Norton Antivirus log:

E:CompuServe 2000downloadMYCLIENT2.xls.pif
    was infected with the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm virus.
    The file was deleted.

Just a general warning to others who may receive this email!!!
    Craig

RE: VIRUS ALERT!!!

Greetings, Again:

Here is the link to Norton's site which details the virus. As I deleted the file before opening it, and don't use Outlook, for obvious reasons, I was able to delete the file with no damage.

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Ctaig

Comment

To my knowledge, both Barry Rochford and Jay Talbott (2 other Alphaphiles) received a similar e-mail earlier in the week. We figured it had come from an infected Outlook directory of someone related to the NY User Group. Unfortunately we didn't think to post a warning, so your message is timely.

Never open those attachments unless you are expecting them and know who sent them and why.

Also, scrap Outlook and use a less vulnerable e-mail package!

Finian
      Finian

Comment

Oh Dear,

I opened it after first searching for his name and checking out some of his previous correspondence on the message board.

Michael

Comment

Michael:

I searched some of his messages also. I didn't open it because, unlike his post's, the email seemed grammatically incorrect...

I hope you have virus software. Norton has a special executable to clean this virus off a system, but it looks like it's a bit of work. Be sure to disconnect all network drives and network internet connections while you are working on this. Stay offline, as it will generate emails to those parties in your Outlook address book, and perhaps other address book also.

Good luck,

Craig

Comment

Finian, care to mention a few 'less vulnerable' email packges we might consider? -- tom

Comment

Finian:

Yes, I agree. I can't imagine why anyone can justify using Outlook with it's vulnerability to VBS virus'.

Fortuneatly, I don't, and although I downloaded the infected file, i would have had to open the file in Excel to activate the virus.

I have dealt with a few virus' on clients machines before. Sometimes it takes 8 hours to thoroughly clean the hard drive... not a fun task.

It still amazes me that people write these things...

Craig

Comment

I've e-mailed Aaron and Rick Tobiassen who account for at least 3 copies of the virus e-mail I have received (so far). Obviously, it is being passed around by Alpha-files unfortunately.

Basic rule to follow is that if the message does not seem to address you in a personal manner (not just the Hi yourname, but seems to be talking about appropriate stuff), it probably is a virus.

This virus was only detected about a week ago, so maintain your virus detection programs all the time.

I use Netscape and Eudora for E-mail clients. But of course, if you open the file (as oppose to saving it), the virus will be activated. With A5 V5, maybe I'll use Alpha 5!

Also, don't e-mail everyone on your list telling them about a virus, as that's a method hoax viruses use to clog e-mail channels.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design & Associates
                [email protected]
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi everybody,

My daughter and her husband were brought low by this one. He is a law school prof and exchanges email with his students which I never do. Told him he was crazy, in fact.

I too got one copy, same message different attachment, before the virus data file on our college's gateway was updated for this one. In the first half hour it stopped 14 copies on the way in.

For the next while the recommended procedure will have to be to open no attachments you do not expect. If you want to send someone a file, first email them a note telling them to expect a second message with the attachment.

What a pain.

Bill
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I too am getting emails from members of the board with the same message.
                    They also are virus infected.
                    Just make sure that you delete them without opening them.
                    andthen run your virus protecion.
                    Charlie Crimmel

Comment

I received almost the same e-mail on AOL. It looked funny to me, so I pasted it on to Norton Anti-virus. Glad I did.
                      Norton said the same as yours did. I deleted it at one. All should be on the lookout for this. He is asking for your advise and look what you could get. Dan Earley.

Comment

I received one of those emails from Rick Tobiasson too. I asked him about it and he had no clue that it was sent to me.
                        Thank you,
                        Mike Konoff

Comment

Will the virus activate if you open & read the e-mail, or do you have to open & run the attached file?

Thanks,
                          Mike
                          Thank you,
                          Mike Konoff

Comment

Tom:

I use Netscape Mail myself.

Using something other than Outlook only assures (at least for now) that the virus will not propagate beyond the infected machine. Once you open the attachment, the virus/worm will try to do its thing, the primary acivity being to send copies of itself to everyone in the user's Outlook address book. What happens after that is where the real pain comes ... does it try to wipe your hard drive, delete system files, rename files? I don't know what else this particular virus does and frankly, I'm not anxious to find out.

So far none of these pests propagate via other e-mail clients.

I did get hit with the "I Love You" bug last year. It was attached to an e-mail from my niece in Ireland, who had previously sent me some pictures of her son. So I fell for it. What a pita.

You can't trust any attachment that you are not expecting, even from your nearest and dearest!

Finian
                            Finian

Comment

Mike:

If you are using Microsoft Outlook, you need only open the email. If you are using Outlook and open the email, the virus becomes active, further infecting the files on your hard drive. It will then attach itself to random files on your hard drive, sending random emails to the email addresses in your Outlook mailbox. The recipient receives the email with an infected file attached. For detail info, refer to the link on my earlier message. I believe further destructive activity will occur when the system date of the infected computer reads 10/16/01, although Norton's bulletin suggests that the date can vary.

If you are using other email software, you can read the email and even download the file without activating the virus. But once you RUN the downloaded file, you open Pandora's box, so to speak. Without Outlook, I don't believe it spreads beyond your computer unless you manually send an email to someone, attaching an infected file to it.

Of course, moving any infected file from one computer to another via floppy disk, CD, or the like, will also transmit the virus.

Hope this clarifies.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X