Alpha Video Training

Thread: By customer or by sales order number

Real Name
    gfong

Default By customer or by sales order number

Late last night I found myself creating two more sets for my order management system. I have a set that has the customer table as the parent with sales_orders as children and invoices as grandchildren. The other set has sales_orders as parent with invoices as one child and customers as another. The idea is that the first set will be used in a form that will allow the user to find a customer and see all the sales orders and invoices attributable to each customer. The second set will be used by a form that will allow the user to find a sales order number and see the customer and invoices associated with the found sales order number. I was halfway into creating a set with the invoice table as parent when I asked myself the question if I am going set crazy.
    Have I lost my bearing here? Is it OK to create so many sets? I have 6 on the go now and I am afraid of the future repercussions of having so many. The system I am designing is a stand-alone type for now while I climb the learning curve but it will be a networking app. Will I crash and burn when all these sets and tables and all the associated pointers are flying around the network?
    I thought for a while that my tentative hold on the programming side of things were solidifying but this new dimension particularly in the networking realm has whacked my confidence.

BTW Thanks for all the help so far everybody its been an exhausting month.
    Maybe I need a vacation.

Real Name
    Mike Konoff

Default RE: By customer or by sales order number

Hey Greg...don't fret...the best thing you can do from all your questioning is """learn""", and that's a good thing.

I'm sure you'll get some better answers from others that are more versed in "database normalisation", but I do have a bit to offer.

I'm still using Alpha Four (dos) quite extensively for managing my business and really am waiting A5's version 5 release. Let's see...I have an invoice set to do my invoicing, header & line items. I have a customer set that displays customer information, at least that's how I first set it up. I later added a tabbed sub-form. On one tab I display all open invoices for the customer and on the other I have it filtered so I only see those invoices that are past due. I have another set where I filter all open customer orders, sales orders as header and all open sales orders as line items so that I can quickly see some information on all open orders. No invoice is attached to this one though. Then I have a bunch of other sets that I use for deliveries, production, parts & bill of materials.

We're not heavy users...only 3 users networked together. We "occassionaly" see the "UNABLE TO LOCK" warning, but again, that's with Alpha Four (dos) and we might never have that problem once we get moved over to A5 completely. Other than that, we have no other problems.

If any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Among the many fine articles at www.learnalpha.com one of my favorites came to mind when I read your message. Check it out.

http://www.learnalpha.com/SimplifyYourApp/SimplifyYourApp.htm

-- tom

Real Name
    gfong

Thanks; I think that I've stabilized again. Although I still don't quite understand how the system keeps itself organized with so many things going on simultaneously, especially in a networking environment; I feel better about plowing ahead now.
    Crisis of confidence can really whack you!