Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

disable editor menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disable editor menus

Hi

I have searched the message board but have not found an answer to this specific question.

When a user clicks the pencil my custom menus for the form disappear and the system menu comes up which I do no not want. I know I cannot create a custom menu for memo or rtf editors but can I disable some of their Commands?

My other option is not to allow them to open the memo editor. I did see a posting where someone put an object over the area where the pencil Icon appears, when entering a memo field the object hides the pencil. But I cannot get this to work. When the memo field is active it pops up over the object.

Thank you for your responses

Robert

RE: disable editor menus

If you want to download "Advanced Forms" from the Code section, you can open the vendor memo form and see how it is done.

Comment

Hi Steve

Thanks, I will check it out.

Robert

Comment

Hi Steve

Downloaded your app...Very nice. Two questions first where did you get the "USER" box I don't see a choice from the floating objects menu. I ended up copying your object onto my form and substitued my own code.

f = parentform.this
        if f.active() = "Comments_2" then
        end
        else
        f:comments_2.activate()
        end if

Next question, the "USER" object doesn't prevent me from depressing the "PENCIL" icon the first time it receives a mouse click. But after I close the editor the object works properly and I can no longer mouse click the "PENCIL" icon.

My form uses modal entry/change and the memo field is on its own tab. Would this explain this behavior.

Thanks

Robert

Comment

The user object is available in form design by selecting Object, New, and choosing the last option in the list ("User"). Not sure about the second problem, but in form design be sure to select the user object and choose "Arrange" and select "To Front." Might help.

Comment

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info. I did try arrange always on top but no joy. Oooh...well I will keep plugging away.

Thanks

Robert

Comment

I have been following this thread since I have the same concerns about the memo editor. Steve's use of a user object does prevent opening the memo editor, but some of us still need to use a small window for the memo on a form and use a larger popup editor to look at the complete memo. Tom's message gave me an idea. Attached is a simple table that has one form "memotest" that has a small one line field for the memo. This field has been disabled and a transparent button placed over the "pencil" button. Click the button and a larger window form opens as a dialog. On the dialog form, I used Steve's idea for the user object. This form looks somewhat like the memo editor and I placed some sample buttons on it to save, cancel, close, etc. A little more work and it should look and work like the "real" editor.

Jerry

Comment

I was tossing around the idea of using sys_shell with notepad.exe, for example, to edit the contents of the memo field then transfer the edited file back into the field. If you set the edit properties of the memo field off and provided a separate button to invoke your own editor, perhaps a work-around could be accomplished. I'd be happy to try to work out the code with you if this sounds like something you might want to investigate further.

Tom Lyon

Comment

I like Steve's idea about using a user object to prevent access to the "pencil" button and opening the memo editor. I too am concerned about the access that the memo editor allows. But I have some forms that only have space for a single line of the memo and I have used the editor form to look at the complete memo.

Tom's message gave me an idea. Attached is a table that has two forms. One called "memotest" has a single line for the memo. The field is disabled and I placed a transparent button over the "pencil" Click the pencil and another form pops up as a dialog that looks like the memo editor. Here I used Steve's idea to block the memo editor. I put some sample buttons on the form to save, cancel, close, etc. Seems to work just fine.

One change that could be made is to eliminate the query. I am using it since the memo file in my app is actually a linked table in a set. If it isn't, get the recno() of the record open on the main form and use fetch_find() instead of the query to get the same record on the popup.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Tom

I appreciate the offer and the amount of time you are willing to provide. But there is code out there where you can use MSWord. But I really don't want to do that.

This problem with memo/rtf/letter writer is frustrating. Allowing such a glaring loop hole in security for developing an application makes no sense to me. These are useful and sometimes crucial features yet the programmers at Alpha have note addressed this area properly.

Its strange that we can have so much control in one area of the program but not another. Don't get me wrong A5 is a great product, but it raises expectations, which leads to greater frustrations when it doesn't do what you expect.

Robert

Comment

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the info, Buttt.....I have tried all those ideas and then some. My problem is that It won't work on my form.

My memo field is on its own tabbed object. When the memo field gets focus any object sitting on top goes to the back. I tested it with the memo field on the form itself and not in a tab. Still the same problem.

The object will work after I open the memo editor and then close it again. Then the object stays on top. I have set the object properties to always on top, and it still acts like the above.

I know Steve's idea works because I have his down load. I am sure your idea works to. But something about my form is making act differently from eveyone else. Go figure??!!!

Thanks

Robert

Comment

Robert,

This may seem obvious, but make sure the user object is larger than the "pencil". I found that if even a little edge is visible, the editor can fire. The problem you are having may be related to the tabbed object. They occasionaly have unexpected behavior. Have you tried creating a new form without the tabbed object? I know you said you moved it off the tabbed object and it still did not work, but have you tried it on a new form? I have had forms corrupted and the only solution was to make a new one.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry

I will try that.

Robert

Comment

Hi,

I unzipped the memotest example that Jerry Brightbill posted a while back on this board for a sample form for disabling the memo editor. I am using his idea, but need help with the SAVE button on the memo editing form. I have a parent database form with a tabbed subform, containing a memo field from a child table. The memo is read only on the parent form, but I have a custom "transparent" button over the "pencil", so that when the button is pushed, the user goes to the child table/form to edit the memo. I have a SAVE button on the child form that dates and time stamps the edited memo with the USER name. The problem is that when the child table is closed (by pushing the SAVE button), the screen jumps back to the last record in the parent table based on the current index. I want the screen to go back to the linked parent record I was just viewing and also to change a DATE and TIME field of the parent record as well. My script for the SAVE button is as follows:

parent.commit()
                            parentform.close()
                            tbl=table.open("znote")
                            tbl.index_primary_put("transnum")
                            rec=tbl.fetch_find(tnum)
                            tbl.change_begin()
                            tbl.notes=tbl.notes+" Updated by "+var->g_userid+ " on " + dtoc(date())+"."
                            tbl.change_end(.t.)
                            tbl.close()

I am clueless as to what comes next. But I want to return to the linking parent record and edit the values in 2 fields (DATE and TIME) to show the current system DATE and TIME.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from this struggling Alpha 5 newbie.

Sincerely,
                            Robin Sculthorpe

Comment

Working...
                            X