Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cannnot create lookup ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannnot create lookup ???

I have an inventory listing where the Item_Id field is a lookup field. When entering successive records, after a few have been entered, I get the following message: "Cannot create lookup. Lookup definition incomplete or invalid. Not an open index." So then I click on OK, the curser returns to the field then I click on the arrow and up pops the lookup table, most of the time but not always. It works then doesn't, then does then doesn't. What is going on and how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance, Phil

RE: Cannnot create lookup ???

This is a bug that was fixed a while ago, then creeped back in (although much less frequently) in ver. 4.5.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Oh yeah, closing and reopening the form, often, but not always, fixes the problem.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, I don't recall earlier discussion of this. Can you post an example that illustrates the problem?

-- tom

Comment

It's random Tom. It happens to me occasionally these days. For a while it was gone. Previously, it happened regularly where I probably could have posted an example.
          Peter
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Phil
            I can only confirm I have the same problem and so far the only solution is to exit & re-enter. As you indicated, problem is sporadic with no identifable clues as to the cause. In my case it crops up while entering records in an embeded browse. Sometimes it clears itself after a few tries, but in most cases requires exit & re-enter. A real pain in the touche.
            John

Comment

"embedded browse" - that's where it occurs for me also.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, it may be illusive, but it's probably not 'random'. (Unless you have faulty hardware with a poor connection somewhere that's sometimes on and sometimes off.) My guess is that it's something to do with field rules. Or possibly the user is not allowing the system enough time to save changes, before beginning new changes on another record. A working sample which illustrates the problem is needed for Alpha Software to fix it, or for others of us to suggest workarounds.

-- tom

Comment

Phil, can you post a working sample that illustrates the problem?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                    It is random in the sense that it when it happens I cannot discern a pattern as to what triggers it. You may very well be right that it may have to do with a certain combination of events. But, that does not mean that it is not a bug. Please remember that Alpha acknowleded this as a bug in a previous version and they did fix it, although I don't remember which patch. In 4.5 it has come back, although much less frequently.
                    Peter
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Come to think of it. I recently changed my M.O. Now I do a dialog of the child table. The problem still occurs (occassionally) in the table dialog lookup.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, I suggest you try to trigger the error, keeping careful watch on what keystrokes and mouseclicks you are using. Perhaps this will require entering successive records rapidly one after the other. If it occurs, make a careful note of the context in which it happened. Then post the database here with a text file explaining how to trigger the error.

If you prefer, how about describing the setup, so we can build our own test kits?

Describe the set, the links, the lookup field rule ( in detail ).

I'm not disputing your recollection of the earlier thread, when a bug was acknowledged... I just don't remember it. Can you point me to it?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                          Read my post below. The problem still surfaces in a small table level dialog. In this particular case, I am the only one using this particular set. I am not a rapid data enterer(?). The dialog filters a blank record created via xbasic or it is an edit of an existing record. So before when I was entering data in the child browse the problem occurred occasionally there (in a one to many set, one child only), but now, it still occurs (occasionally) in the table level dialog. I can't take you to a specific post with regard to past discussions of the lookup problem, but there were a number of them. I just don't remember exactly where & when. If I get a chance I'll see if it is in the read me notes for one of the patches. I apologize for not posting the set and lookup. It would take me some time to extract it from the app.
                          Peter
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter if I build a test kit that looks like this will it match the essential features that you think are involved...

Plan A:

Two table set. Child table linked one to many on simple one field key.

Data entry to the embedded browse for the child table.

Child table has a field which uses a table lookup field rule to retrieve key values from a third table.

Data entry to the lookup table (table number 3) is not occurring elsewhere on the network while child table records are being edited.

Expected outcome: When entering or changing successive child table records, the lookup to the third table will eventually fail, returning a 'cannot be created ' error message.

Plan B:

Instead of using the embedded browse to enter or change child table records, the form has a button or OnRowDbleClick event script which calls a dialog form. The dialog form is based on the child table only, and is used to enter a single new record, or to edit a single existing record. Otherwise, it's the same as the other scenario.

Ok?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Plan A & B correct, except >>Data entry to the lookup table (table number 3) is not occurring elsewhere on the network while child table records are being edited
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X