Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Optimized Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimized Network

Being very new to ver 4, I am curious about this network optimized stuff.

We have over 250 users on a network sharing databases and applications in ver 1.02. If we use network optimization, does that mean that ALL of our users will have copies of our tables on their machines?? There are over 1000 active tables in our application.

Maybe I just don't get it, but for each user to have copies of the database tables would seem very un-optimized.

I am not criticizing, just trying to understand.

RE: Optimized Network

When you Network Optimize each user is still using the Data held on the Server, but they each have their own copies of all forms, reports etc. Thus saving mucho time by not having to send the forms etc over the Network. The actual data (.dbf, cdx, fpt's) is represented as a "shadow" which points to the server plus all other Alpha files such as adb, alm alx, ddd, ddm ddx and the set, sem, sex files are copied onto each users hard drive.

From the A5 control panel, click help "Network" you will be able to read all about Network Optimization.

-Barry

Comment

Thomas,
      Optimization is kind of hard to understand until you really check it out. It is definitely the way to go. Even very fast machines tend to drag over the network. With optimization, Alpha flys!
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

THIS IS ALL WELL AND GOOD, BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE HAVE 200 USERS ALL OPENING LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF TABLES EVERY DAY? CURENTLY WE HAVE RUNTIME LOADED ON THE NETWORKED PC'S AND ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES A LITTLE SLOW, IT WORKS VERY WELL WITHOUR SHADOWS AND LOCAL COPIES(EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T EXIST IN VER 1.02). IT JUST SEEMS TO BE A VAST AMOUNT OF LOCAL PC OVERHEAD WHEN THERE IS SUCH A LARGE APPLICATION. ATTACHED IS A .JPG IMAGE OFOUR MAIN MENU. REMEMBER BACK TO THE CARD STACKS OF VERSION 1. WE HAVE 16 CARDS IN THIS APPLICATION, MANY OF WHICH CALL OTHER APPLICATIONS.

Comment

Tom,

It is not really a vast local burden, merely a single folder on the local machine's drive which holds your application's graphical elements.

As we all know, drive space is cheap and network bandwith is not. So we can conceptualize the optimization issue as a purchasing decision: whether to achieve a specified level of performance by buying bandwith or local drive capacity.

As with all such decisions, one does the math for the specific conditions. In this case, the decision is usually easy since often there is unutilized local drive space which makes optimization free. Since networks always run out of bandwidth sooner or later you should probably optimize.

My A5 application currently has 20 users on a Novell network. Optimization has dramatically improved performance without causing problems. These 20 coexist with a much larger number of others who use the network for diverse other (non-Alpha) applications.

Bill
          Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

From what I read, a5 makes a local copy of all the dictionary files for each table that is openend by the user. Like I stated before, we have literally hundreds of tables in this application. Does this mean hundreds of ddd,ddm,etc files on each local machine? Do the users need to refresh when we make updates to screens, reports, etc? Did Alpha slow down considerably since version 1? We have mde the committment to upgrade to the latest version (4 or 5) of Alpha software, but because of the size of our application(s), it has been a very slow and arduous process.

Again, I am not disparaging the new version, just trying to understand.

Comment

Thomas,

You have hit on what will probably be the biggest issue for you...updates.
              In our case, we have a much smaller network and application, so we use an autoexec script to check the date of the latest udate using a script based on Dr Wayne's ideas. If there are any updates, the shadow is automatically updated before the main menu comes up.
              The good news for you is that the decision to optimize or not can be made machine by machine. Pick a couple machines and try it. If it is successful, add a few more. You don't need to do them all at once. We use it on some machines and not on others. It works very well to reduce the network traffic and speed up menu and form changes.

Good luck.
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Tom,
                I recently converted a large application ( close 200 tables and sets ) from a5v1 to a5v4. I had every reservation that you had. I agree with Pat when he says one of your biggest issues will be when and how to refresh your application. My experience on a fairly large app is that there is no decision as to optimize or not. You will have to optimize. It will run brutally slow without optimizing on a very large application. However, when optimized, my application runs at least as fast and sometimes faster than it did on a5v1.
                John

Comment

Thanks,

I guess that once we really get this conversion done, we wil need to explore the issue. All of your input has helped.

Comment

One important issue to keep in mind, Tom, is that if you do optimize (and you will see great speed improvement, especially if you are using sets) is that there are two different conditions to be aware of. The first is that if a form or report is modified, the workstation must refresh shadow. The second issue is that if a form, table or report, etc. is *added* to the database, the workstation must then Network Optimize. A Shadow Refresh will not bring in the new additions to the database. This can be a real pain, but I presume Dr. Wayne has an appropriate script that can help automate that process as well.

Tom Lyon

Comment

Maybe I just don't understand. What happened between ver1 and ver 4 to slow things down so much as to NEED shadows and local copies? Version 1 was (and still is) quite quick with loading forms, cards, etc.

Comment

Good question. I started with v3, now at v4 and waiting for v5 (skipping 4.5). I know that v4 is a great deal quicker and more reliable than v3. I presume v5 will be that much better than v4 as well. I hear you, though. I still use Alpha Four version 2 on a daily basis..for one reason. It hasn't crashed in *FIVE* years. Nary a single corrupted index. It's only a stand-alone version, so that's why we use Alpha Five, too. The data tables are copied nightly for use in Alpha Five. I'll never moth-ball that one :)

Tom Lyon

Comment

My response times in version 1.02 are, literally, seconds. Am I supposed to believe that they will drop off so dramatically in a newer "better" release? Granted, on some screens where we do incredibly intense calculations, the response can seem painfully slow, but we just look at the work performed instead of having to do it by hand, and our people are very happy. Should I start preppng them for a fall?

Comment

Thomas,
                            I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of V4 vs V1. I converted part of a calendar app from v1 to v4. Loading and calculating the main form in v1 was fairly slow. The speed in v4 was about the same. This was on a standalone system. There may be speed differences in other operations, but I haven't compared an identical operation in each to verify. The big change in v4 to network optimization results in speeds across a network to be very similar to speeds on a standalone. This makes sense, since the only think coming across the network is the basic data. All forms, reports, etc are loaded locally. All calculations are also done locally.

There are so many new features in V4 and v4.5 that an upgrade is very worthwhile. But be advised, if you have a complicated app, it is NOT a straight conversion. If you search the forum, you will find many discussions of the issues involved. I have an app in v1 that will stay in v1. It is just not worth the effort to convert because of the need to rewrite a large number of scripts.

Jerry

Comment

Several points to take into consideration:

I believe ver.1 is faster that ver. 4, in the same way that AmiPro is faster than MS Word. Window 3.1 apps simply have much less overhead that Win9x/2000 apps, and as you know, A5v1 is a Win 3.1 app, period.

Ver. 5 will update tables and sets when you refresh. However, everytime you change one form or report, you will have to refresh your entire application. Obviously, given your large application, this will take some time for each individual user. If you do this once a day, it is a real pain. Selwyn said in a previous post some time ago that ver. 5 would not selectively update only changed files. Personally, I think Alpha is insensitive on this point. They seem to assume that all Alpha users are developers who only update a client's apps once or twice a year. Those of us who write apps for our own company or, as in your case, government agency, are constantly modifying and adding to our application, often daily. In my own case, with about 10 users, and an app that is a little over 100 tables and sets, it takes about 3 minutes to refresh or optimize - a long time by computer standards. If A5 only updated the changes, the refersh would take just a couple of seconds. I hope Alpha addresses this concern that many of us have in a future patch.

Peter
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X