Alpha Video Training

Thread: Remote access ot Alpha5.

Real Name
    Gil Smith

Default Remote access ot Alpha5.

I have Alpha 5 version 4.03 networked on three computers. I am wondering if it is possible to access Alpha and input data from a remote computer using a modem?

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default RE: Remote access ot Alpha5.

For support purposes I use PCAnywhere. That would be okay for yourself, if there were noone else on the network at the time. But if it were for regular use you would have to have something more sophisticated, like Citrix.

Real Name
    Gil Smith

Thanks Martin I will try PC Anywhere- I have heard of that. By the way what is Citrix?

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

from what I know of it, Citrix is an intermediate type of program that lets you put your app on a server and have users access it via the web

Nigel Waters

I have had some success using Dail up networking to my NT server. This was setup as a mapped drive from my remote PC.
    The application was then optimized to the Server. Worked fine for me, a little slow but it worked

Real Name
    Tom Lyon

If you use Windows2000 Server, you can run terminal services and allow connections over the internet (with appropriate security authorization) to the machine. The terminal services client can then be used on Windows98 and Windows2000 machines to provide access to the server running terminal services. The quality of the connection blows away anything else...PCAnywhere doesn't come close to performing as well as Terminal Services Client.

Tom Lyon

Anthony Tampone

Citrix is a company, they have a product called MetaFrame that will allow you to run programs as a terminal through a browser with special plugins. See www.citrix.com

Also there is a new player in this field, Novell with their on demand services. This is an incredible new product and I have yet to see something with comparable speed. Unlike other solutions, no client side software is needed, just a browser. This is defiantly worth checking out, I have just started using it, if gives you the chance to be an asp. See www.novell.com/products/ondemand/

Also you could use NT/2000 Terminal services, works well, in an all NT shop, but does have some stability problems, I have yet to use terminal services in Win2K, but I do hear that it is much improved.

- Anthony