Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

PC-WORKSTATION ID ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC-WORKSTATION ID ?

Dear Alpha Programmer.

My application required the identification of user and
    from which "PC" he/she entering the data from.

My idea is to force the log-on menu to go into Window operating system to grab the network's identification computer-name.

Potential to have up to 10 workstations using the application and I am expecting potential problem with low end production workers that tend to play with data entry.
    Thus by identifying which computer the data was entered
    I am hoping to capture every events on my electronic journal.

Your suggestion and help is greatly appreciated.

Ken Tjia

RE: PC-WORKSTATION ID ?

Ken,
    I believe Peter Wayne has an articl on getting the computer name on his "Alpha Learning" site. I create a table in the same directory on everyone's "C-Drive". Field rules blocak any changing of this record. This table has the user id assigned by me. They cannot log into the app without this directory and table. I keep other values in this table locating "acrobat" and other programs that I call in the app.
    John

Comment

Hi John,

>>Field rules blocak any changing of this record

Comment

Thank you john,

Having reviewed your reply.
        I am thinking that all I need to do is to create a "BAT" or "TXT" file at each one of the user's workstation.
        say : WORKSTATION_INFO.TXT

And the above text file would contains data as follow:

COMPUTER_ID=BENCH-ONE

then I will use xbasic to read individual c: drive for
        file = workstation_info.txt and move it to a variable
        and use that variable forever until the PC-lock up one day hi.

So I would need a simple set up routine at each one station to do this one time identification set up process and Alph 5 will write the Workstation_id.txt into the root c: of that particular pc.

Hmm.. There may be better suggestion, but my idea above if work out would allow greater flexibility to create unique idnetification on multi user station.

In addition, I have production worker who does not read English and having another line in there to switch my application to a secondary foreign language is a desiarable
        thing for my application.

Yes, there are many ways to do foreign languages with Alpha5

Ken Tjia

Comment

Jim,
          After I assign the terminal value in the table, I disallow changes in the "canchangerecord" event in field rules. Although the users are not even aware of this table's existence, if someone manages to get into the table, they can't add,delete,change or mark the single record in the table.
          John

Comment

yes..the idea of using a XXX>txt file in each of the pc's root drive work really

And Alpha will create/write_line the data to my STATION.TXT
            when we initially set up individual workstation.

And we will do a READ.FILE at the start up.

Comment

Last year I had a similar request from a client with about 30 workstations entering information. We thought about identifying the work station, but decided that this could be somewhat ambiguous. That is, you could have different people using the same workstation at different times - say on different shifts, or different days, or whatever.

So we ended up creating a user file - with the user name, password, and whatever other information you want. Nobody can get at it except the administrator, who assigns all the information. And no user can get on the system without identifying himself/herself, using the correct password, etc.

Then you can easily include the "enterer" information as one field in the data base - so you can identify who messed up what, or whatever.

The point of this memo is that you really need to identify the person, not just the workstation.

Leon Brachman [email protected]

Comment

Leon,

While you bring up a good point. let me point out that you need all the information of who and where and when to track users. The who is the user login, the where is the physical system where people accessed the computer and when is the date and time they logged on and off

All of the above information I can get in a roundabout way (DOS program) in Alpha 5 version 4.x, but the DOS boxes have some issues. In version 5, the Windows API's are more reliable, and thus I use calls from XBasic to do it there.

User name, computer name are the most important, workgroup, and IP address may be important.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design & Associates
                [email protected]
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Thank you for your comment.

The STATION.TXT work so well all morning and i allow
                  up to 30 charcaters to describe workstation name.
                  In place of the PC's nteworking name.

Yes, I agree about the API is more reliable and more
                  protection is the way to say I think.

The only one thing I need to be sure is the "variable" mixed up on mulsti user...I am afraid being a GLOBAL
                  from one work-ps may show up on others ?

Will have to wait until late this afternoon to see that effect. In addition, every activities get tarpped into electronic journal and that work really well.

Been thinking about dumping the Journal to SQL and let it
                  repricate across the country and having backup in 2 cities ?
                  And leaving the working data locally

ANy comment

Comment

Working...
                  X