Alpha Video Training

Thread: Shadow only

Richard Neal

Default Shadow only

I created a database and then copied it to another machine. The other machine only shows a shadow icon. It will not do anything and does not have the forms or anything else. Only the shadow icon. I copied everything to the exact same location as on the computer I am using. I really do not care if the network is optimized only that we get access to the database. Please advice.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default RE: Shadow only

Assuming that you can acess the database on the original machine, do the following.

On the second machine create an icon pointer to the database at the source machine. The database (with the actual data) itself should only be on the one original machine. It is incorrect to copy the entire database to the second manchine, if that is what you did. Open the database from the second machine with your icon that points to the original machine. From controlpanel select file/optimize. this will create the shadow on your second machine. Now open the shadow database on the second machine. If everything worked correctly (it should) you are accessing the source database form the second machine. As you may know, the shadow database does not have any data records or copies of data records - just copies of forms, reports, etc.

Richard Neal

I created the database here in my home. I took it on disk to our church camp to put on the network there. I understand what you are saying once the database is running on the network, but I am having trouble putting on the camp's computer server.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Can you access the database at camp at all? If Alpha is properly installed and you copied the entire db to a folder, you should be able to open Alpha and navigate to your data. No?

Richard Neal

I created two separate databases. Really just modified the one we were using and renamed them. One works perfectly for the campers, but the staff database is the one giving me trouble. It only shows a shadow icon. I have deleted and recopied, deleted the muf files, and tried everything I know.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Richard, it sounds as though some of your database tables are located in more than one folder. The recommended approach is to keep all tables for a single database in one folder. This permits the database to be portable.

In the alpha Five control panel, select the tables and sets tab, then right click on white space in the control panel.

Select View then select details and check the path to each table in your database. They should match each other...

-- tom