Alpha Video Training

Thread: Quick - Quick Filter Question

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Quick - Quick Filter Question

I can quick filter on col-1 and then quick filter on col-3 but if I also quick filter on col-4, then the quick filter, filters on the last column rather than 'narrowing the field'

Also, if I quick filter on a couple of columns and then use quick sort, the quick sorted column is sorted but the records which were filtered out, are back.

Is there a trick to keeping the browse from ShowAll (& tell all) until the ShowAll is clicked so that one can 'go down the line' filtering until there is nothing left to filter?

Thought I'd ask. (Doing that a lot lately, eh? But I'm preparing for a conference where I'll demonstrate A5 so any suggestions are appreciated.)

Thanks,

kenn

Real Name
    Stephen Williams

Default RE: Quick - Quick Filter Question

Ken -
    I thought I would give you my 2 cents...
    I also found filtering was dropped when I sorted, but I am using the "query by form" as it is so easy. And you can then combine both the filter and the sort order. And if you want to refine the search, when the query by form opens a second time the last values used are retained.

You could also use "query by table" but then you have to deal with the actual field names, which may not convey the meaning of what is actually in the field the way a form can. Example I could have a table with fields called N1, N2, A1, A2 for "First Name" "Last Name" "Address 1" "Address 2". In the Query by table users are cnfronted with N1, N2, A1 and A2. In the form they will have the descriptive title by the field.

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Quick - Quick Filter Question

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your "2 cents worth" but it's really worth more than "2 cents".

I'm heading out in a few minutes to a conference for fraud investigators where I'll be making a presentation on creating a database (A5 of course!). For these folks, whatever is done has to be short, fast and sweet. That's why the quick filter and QBF are so great.

At first, I was able to quick filter column to column, back and forth and it would simply keep filtering out the records. Somehow, that's gotten messed up as I can't seem to do more that 2 columns before it loses its memory of the first 2 QF's, if ya know what I mean. Well, it's something to work on.

I'm not concerned about how A5 will perform but rather how I'll perform. Ever feel inadequate? I must say, however, that w/o the help of this message board and many of you, I wouldn't have accepted this challange. The efforts of everyone is greatly appreciated. You all have a part in my accomplishments, not that's it's great, I'm just simply blessed!

Thanks,

kenn