Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Disappearing data in set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing data in set

I have a set on medical treatments. The main data set is named Treatcard and contains the treatment date and treatment number. The next data set is the patients on a one to one relationship with treatcard. The final child data set is treatment and is a one to many relationship with the patient.
    After many hours of work setting up what should be a very straightforward set, I finally got it to perform the way I intended it to.
    After entering 50+ Treatcard records, not to mention the ones in the patient and medicals data sets, I felt proud of my endeaver.
    When I opened the set hours later much to my dissappointment and anger 11 records had incomplete information. The Treatcard information was there but the other two parts were blank. I then remembered why I shelved A5 before, it is unreliable and unstable.
    I got two error messages which kicked me out of the program: Invalid page fault at module AZINPUT.dll and the same at MFC40.dll.
    I need some help quick or this thing is going in the round file very soon.
    I can reenter the data but that is not what should happen.
    Thanks Dave

RE: Disappearing data in set

Dave:
    I can understand your frustration, but you have not indicated what key structure exists between each table in the set. Have you check the contents of each table for the data in question? Is it possible that he keys are not matched corectly?

I and others have defined many simple and complex data set structures in A5. The loss of data within a set is not a normal occurrence when the keys are defined correctly. If this is not the problem I would be willing to look at your system if you attach to your response.

bob adler

Comment

Dave,

If you do a search on the board there are 411 references to disappearing data. Mostly they deal with indexes or table links which are set to filter out data through some expression.

The first thing to check is the default browse for your set. If the data is there, the problem lies in how the data is presented by whatever layout you are viewing.

Alpha has it's quirks, but I don't think "unreliable" is a fair assessment.

Good luck.

Stan
      There can be only one.

Comment

David,

When I have data that's missing, the first thing I check is the primary index. Most of the time it's set to record number. Once I set the primary index, the data 'mysteriously' appears.

Stan is correct, A5 has it's quirks but most of the 'quirks' are our own doing.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Dear Stan,
          The data is not in the default browse.
          thanks for the suggestion but unreliable is high on my list.
          if the data was there and everything worked as it should , I made no changes to any index or any other part of the program, what caused the data to disappear?
          Thanks Dave

Comment

Dear Bob,
            The Parent data set is treatrecord, it contains only the treatment record number and the treatment date. The first child data set is called heifers and contains the heifer tag number, the owner and the date of birth. it is tied tthe treatrecord data set by a one to one relationship. it appears in a subform on the treatment set form. The second child data set is called treatment and contains the treatment date, symptoms, treatment, dose, cost each and treatment cost. The relationship to heifers is a one to many. It is in asubbrowse form on the treatrecord form. to round out the form is a total field to total the cost of the treatments of this particular heifer on this particular day. If she is treated the next day or the next week it becomes a new record. My main purpose is to keep track of the total treatment cost for each heifer while she is under my care. Iused the report genie to create a simple report to show the costs for each heifer for the month with a subtotal each time the tag number changes and a grand total for each owner at the bottum of the report.
            If you think there is somthing wrong with the stucture I would send you a coppy.
            No one said anything about the error messages, does this mean I am the only person to ever get them or what?
            Thanks Dave

Comment

"I made no changes to any index"

First question is do you have any indexes defined?
              When you open the default browse, the last used index or query is in effect. Are you looking at the browse in record number order? (CTRL-I to select an index, what is in effect?)

If you are in the default browse and record number order is the current index and the records are missing, then there is a problem.

Why not zip up a sample an attach it to a post and let us take a look?
              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
              X