Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What barcodes are being used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What barcodes are being used

I'd like to know what barcodes people are using currently, or would use as their preferred choice(s). (you can just list the numbers from the list below if you want) Do you have a favorite?

How about the hardware? Any bad manufacturers to stay away from? Does anyone use anything that is not a keyboard or serial port wedge? Are there any bluetooth (wireless) or usb wedges people have used?

Thanks,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    [email protected]

Barcode List
    ============
    1. Code 128 (and which of the A, B or C code sets)
    2. Code 39 (basic set only)
    3. Code 39 Extended
    4. EAN/UUC 128
    5. UPC-A, no supplemental digits
    6. UPC-A, two supplemental digits
    7. UPC-A, five supplemental digits
    8. UPC-E, no supplemental digits
    9. UPC-E, two supplemental digits
    10. UPC-E, five supplemental digits
    11. EAN-8, no supplemental digits
    12. EAN-8, two supplemental digits
    13. EAN-8, five supplemental digits
    14. EAN-13, no supplemental digits
    15. EAN-13, two supplemental digits
    16. EAN-13, five supplemental digits
    17. Interleaved 2-of-5
    18. Booklan, no supplemental digits
    19. Booklan, five supplemental digits
    20. Codabar (and which checksums)
    21. Code 9 of 3
    22. Code 11 (and which checksums)
    23. MSI Code
    24. USPS Postbar (zipcode barcode used by USA Post Office)
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

RE: What barcodes are being used

Ira, We have used a whole range of POS hardware over the past couple years. FYI, the PSC 80mm CCD Bar Code scanner has been in about 20 of our customers hands and we have received great reports on it. The best part of it is it can be bought by resellers for about $80. On the other side of the coin if your looking for a deal on cash drawers, forget about HPC. Although they work and sell for about $85 they should have been labeled with Tonka stickers on them. I have alot of printed material on all sorts of POS equipment if your interested in new models. We have never use a wireless ourselves. Not that we wouldn't welcome the chance, just that our customers find them a little too expensive. If you have not already, you might want to call Metropolitan Sales Company in NY for a catalog. (516.599.7900) They have decent prices to resellers and a wide range of products.
    Jeff

Comment

Ira:
      We use Code 39 for all of out barcodes.
      Pretty standard in the Chemical and Construction Industry.
      We have also standardized on Intermec hand held scanners.
      Intermec makes a rugged scanner that stands up to outside use.(can be dropped from 5 feet on concrete and still works)
      A bit pricey for some. 700-1000 dollars for a programmable scanner with keypad. I have had intermec 9430 and 9440 in the field sites since 1990. Just had to replace the re-chargable batteries, the scanners just keep working.
      All of mine are serial connections thru a docking station. RF (Radio Freq.) scanners are a bit more expensive but work well.
      Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Hi Ira
        We use CODE39 here. I built a system with A5 to print barcode labels to a Zebra s105 but had lots of problems getting it to print. I needed them landscape but A5 would not save the landscape option, always reverted back to portrait. Also, in landscape the actual serial number barcode was unscannable when printed landscape. Another problem was the length of time it took to print. I guess A5 sends each character to the Zebra as a graphic and took 45-60 seconds to spit out a label. In the end I scrapped the A5 barcode idea and went back to using Weber Legi software (which I don't like). Maybe someday I'll get back to it and figure it out.

Mick

Comment

We have several applications in the TV tape rental industry, and all of our customers seem pretty well standardized on CODE 39. Long ago we wrote routines to create the CODE 39 printouts on labels, customer ID's, etc, that work either for laser printers or for the old dot matrix printers.

We also do a lot of "automated" label printing for mailing houses, using the BARUSPS font for the standardized USPS barcode labeling.

However- we've been having trouble lately with getting the wrong printout using BARUSPS - nothing that the postoffice can recognize. I think it has to do with reinstalling Version 4.0 from the CDRom after a crash, and after first reinstalling Windows 98. I think something wrote over something, but can't quite prove it. And I haven't been able to bring back the proper printout - so have been forced to abandon using A5 for label printing - which I used to like very much. (I'm using a commercial mailing program now). By the way, I have upgraded to A5V4.5, but that didn't seem to clear up the problem. I'd certainly welcome any suggestions.

Leon Brachman
          [email protected]

Comment

Hi Leon,

Thanks for your input. Your problem sounds like the Arial/BarUSPS problem with Alpha 5 Version 4.0. Correct that problem and I'll bet your problem will go away.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            [email protected]
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi Mick,

With you landscape problem, did you try a different font (hopefully with better hints)? How about printing them at larger font sizes in landscape?

If the Zebra was able to have downloaded fonts, did you have the print TrueType as Graphics option on. This fixes a lot of other printing problems, but does slow things down.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              [email protected]
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Jeff & Charlie,

Thanks for the info. I have lots of catalogs and info on items, so I don't need that, but others reading may be able to make use of the references. I was looking for hardware that others found problems with that I should stay away from (like the cash register listed above). Unfortunately, catalogs don't always show limitations or problems with an item.

Sounds like 3 of 9 barcode seems to be popular (probably because most don't need to print out UPC labels from a database), based on a very small sample here, and may be because it's encoding is rather simple.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                [email protected]
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

We use code 128 (although this was our choice, subject to approval by a very large cusotmer)We don't scan at all but print using Wasp label connecting to a A4V6 dbf which then prints on a Cognitive blaster advantage. The Blaster line is a very inexpensive line but we have had no problems. From Barcode.com the printer is available for 399.00. They also have inexpensive labels. I haven't tried it yet with A5vX but foresee no problems.

Russ

Comment

The most common type used is Code 39 (not the extended character set -that's mutually exclusive from the standard character set)The trouble with code 39 is its popularity. You'll find code 39 barcodes on everything so you might accidentally scan some elses' barcode instead of your own. My business is inventory and it happens all too often during an inventory that a stray barcode will be scanned by accident.

I suggest Code 128. It supports all ASCII characters, has check digits for accuracy. It's common enough so that you won't have trouble finding a scanner that supports it but uncommon enough so that there won't be a lot of stray barcodes that might accidentally get scanned.

A couple other hints for setting up barcodes: If possible, keep a fixed length and structure (ABC123...) That will help insure that when, not if, you get a bad barcode you'll be able to verfiy it somehow.

Don't worry about A,B and C types, just enable them all a go for it. I've never run accross any application that didn't enabe them all. I beleive, though I'm not betting money on it, that the A,B and C types are a leftover from earlier times.

Comment

Code39 is just a font as long as you don't use the extended character set version.

When you print there is an embedded/hidden start and stop characters in the barcode. The start and stop characters are simply asterisks.

So if the barcode is supposed to be abc123, the portion with the font should be *abc123*

Hope that clears up the printing problems.

Comment

John:
                        When you write the barcode programs to capture data you should use data identifiers.
                        In my programs I use the following:
                        B=badge
                        Q=quantity
                        S=Serial Number
                        M=unit of measure
                        and so forth.
                        incode these dataidentifier in the barcode and then have the program strip them out. That way you get error messages if the program is expecting a badge number the the user scans a serial number.
                        Badge might look like this *B06001*
                        Serial Number might look like this *S1234567890*
                        Charlie Crimmel

Comment

I agree that having a system to filter out potential errors is critical.

My rule of thumb is that the system should be the least flexible that will get the job done. Employees, customers and the like will go to great lengths to screw-up the best designed system.

My other rule of thumb is that, given a choice, customers, and employees will always make the wrong choice. I know I sound like a cynic but I'm repeatedly proven correct.

Comment

Working...
                          X