Alpha Video Training

Thread: Any Suggestions? -- Query/Find by form

Gene Oliva

Default Any Suggestions? -- Query/Find by form

I have 3 tables. Parent is "Orders" related to "Invoices" one to many, and "Comm" related to "Invoices" on to many.

I created a 3 tabbed form. On the first form I have order data. On the 2nd form I enter Inv. data and in the third from comm. data.

In the 3rd form I placed a button when designed as "Query by form" OR "Find by form" will not find an Invoice number that I can see in the invoice table. I always says "no records were found". When designed as "Find by text" it does get the invoice number to show in the invoice number field I placed in the form.

Any ideas why Query or Find by form button will not work?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Default RE: Any Suggestions? -- Query/Find by form

Hi Gene,

This slightly beside the point of your question but when you put the child and grandchild tables on tabs, you do not mention whether each tab contains an embedded browse at the child (tab2)and grandchild (tab3) level. Given the structure of your set, you should reconsider the whole approach you have taken to this form. But that's another story.

The reason you were unable to query on invoice number is that you cannot query on a child record of a set. But don't get mad because you can probably do what you need to do if you rethink your methodology.

For simplicity, let's consider only orders and invoices where each order can have many invoices.
    -you could create an inverted set of invoices linked one-to-one to orders. You could query this set on invoice number without difficulty;
    -there is something called flattenquery that you could read up on in the documentation and in an article at learnalpha.com; and,
    -I have an article--also at learnalpha.com--which shows how to place some features of child records in the parent so they can be searched on.

So you have options, but also rethink the form.

Bill

Gene Oliva

Default RE: Any Suggestions? -- Query/Find by form

William -- I believe I know what you mean.

Yes tab2 and tab3 each have an imbeded browse. Now that you mention it I did read somewhere that you cannot query on a child record of a set.

I will look into the articles and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

Gene O