Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

user defined export/report in RUNTIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

user defined export/report in RUNTIME

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make it so that end users with Runtime version of A5 can create their own reports and/or export actions based on their defined searches etc. Something like a wizard to 'talk' a user through the procedure. The runtime naturally does not give access to the Control panel, so I would like to build in a button action for this. In particular, a client wants to use A5 database date to create a mail merge in Word. What about being able to use A5's built in letter writer. Can a user setup a letter?? They (and me) would prefer to semi automate creating a txt or CSV file and exporting and then use Word to mail-merge.

Did I explain the problem OK...seems a bit rambly when I re read it

Jeremy

RE: user defined export/report in RUNTIME

Jeremy,

The short and simple answer is no and the problem is not access to the control panel. The runtime does not support the creation of new anythings: reports, forms, browses etc. This is what distinguishes it from the full program.

This having been said, the "same" report may be used to present different data because filters and other properties can be managed dynamically using xbasic. Also, the content of letters and headers can be held in variables or text files and incorporated in "fixed" letters and reports.

Or the client could buy a copy of the program. The could then make all the reports they want--and also shoot themselves in the foot because once you let them into the control panel there is no way to limit the mayhem the commit.

So, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Jeremy, the runtime users cannot change existing report layouts or create new ones. However, if the original layout specifies that the report will "use currently selected records", then the user can use the same report layout to cover different subsets of their data by filtering or querying the table before running the report each time.

Export operations can be defined ahead of time and runtime users can run them just fine. The resulting export file can then be picked up by their word processor and used to do a mail merge if they want.

-- tom

Comment

Tom:

I'm reasonably certain that it is possible to write Xbasic scripts that would permit a user to create their own export, copy or other operation from scratch. Though I haven't gone that far myself (I have written a script to do appends) it seems to me that the basic elements are all available in Xbasic. What it really requires is someone who has the need and the time to work through the details.

Finian
        Finian

Comment

Finian, are you saying that the runtime users can define and save a new operation to the Alpha Five control panel?

Or are you saying that runtime users could run a script which prompts for specific parameters which could then be used by the script to run an operation that was previously defined using the development version?

Or are you saying that runtime users could run a script which prompts for specific parameters and then runs code which uses those parameters to perform the equivalent of an operation?

I think I know how to do the second and third, but the first I didn't know about (if it's even possible).

-- tom

Comment

Tom, how do you do the second and third? I am thinking in terms of creating a button which when pushed would run an export to txt/csv file opration, with the end user being able to specify the records.

Jeremy

Comment

Tom,

The 1st one is currently impossible in Version 4.x, it may be possible in version 5 bt would be next to impossible

The second one is easily possible, prompting for such things as the export filter and/or order and maybe a couple of other choices.

The third choice is also relatively easy, if the fields are pre-selected.

But as I said in the duplicate thread with the same name, making a generic export routine that selects fields, in the order you want, with a nice front end and the ability to choose all of the available options and saving that definition (in tables, not the data dictionary) for later recall took me weeks to do due to idiosycracies of browse and form redraws. I am hoping Ver 5 will make this alot simpler, but it still is a non-trival operation to do. But it does work and is used by a client of mine. I also probably went through at least 5 user interfaces to get it "right" so that it was simple and easy to use.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design & Associates
              [email protected]
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Jeremy, here's an example for you. Unzip the attachment to a separate folder. do not mix it with your development files.

Here, I've defined a simple export operation. I then created a form with a button that will run the operation silently. The operation is set up to use the currently selected records. If no query or filter is in effect all records are exported. If the user runs a query against the table, or sets a quick filter, then only those records which meet the query or filter criteria are exported.

This is a bit different from either option 2 or 3 above, but seems to be a closer match to your goal.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom:

In some ways I suppose this is really a discussion of the proper place of the runtime in the overall scheme of things. To me, it is what it is ... you don't get to manipulate the control panel. It exists only as a platform to run developed applications. If a person wants to be able to have all the power of the control panel, you sell them the full version and train them how to use it and teach them to develop their own operations etc.

An A5 app can be written to satisfy almost any client need via the runtime if a client wants to pay for it. OTOH if I was able to use the A5 program to create an application with a control panel that had all the power of the existing A5 control panel I'd have to question the sanity of Alpha for making such a thing possible, if I could distribute it on my own terms for just the cost of an unlimited runtime license!

Any how, I'm talking about doing things in Xbasic such as in examples 2 and 3. Saving operations' parameters for future recall is certainly going to be complicated. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure that A5 V1 allowed you to call the Query genie window in the runtime and so create, save and recall queries.

Finian
                  Finian

Comment

Finian,

Verion 4.x added the ability to save and retrieve queries, and use the query genie in the runtime. However, thjere are a couple of gotchas as to where those queries are saved and their context, that may have been taken care of in V5 and possibly v4.5

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design & Associates
                    [email protected]
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture