Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five 4.5 to 1.02 XBasic Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five 4.5 to 1.02 XBasic Compatibility

I have a 5 year old application in 1.02 which uses scripts extensively. When Version 3 came out, I bought the upgrade and had many problems with the scripts not converting (many issues). I gave up and still have Version 3 in the box.

Version 4.5 promises total compatibility with 2 and 3 and considerable compatibility with Version 1, but indicated some updating would be necessary, and then spoke glowingly of the function in the newer XBASIC.

My bottom line question is: If Version 3 failed badly to migrate my scripts, should I expect Version 4.5 to overcome those obstacles encountered by Version 3? I really don't want to spend much time these days doing XBASIC toolsmithing, but I would like to use a more current Alpha Five.

My extensive 1.02 application has really stood the test of time, having migrated from Windows 3.1 to WIN95 and WIN98 with nary a whimper.

Thank you very much ... all opinions are welcome.

Sam

RE: Alpha Five 4.5 to 1.02 XBasic Compatibility

>>My bottom line question is: If Version 3 failed badly to migrate my scripts, should I expect Version 4.5 to overcome those obstacles encountered by Version 3?

Comment

Sam, I've converted a few A5v1 databases and I find three areas to look for in most of my scripts:

(1) If you have a DB_RESET anywhere in your script, it MUST be changed. Although you could just change it to FILE.OPEN(), I usually end up changing the whole section to v4 format just to have it all correct while I'm at it.
      (2) If you are using any ranges, the RANGE.INDEX_HANDLE must be changed to RANGE.INDEX_POINTER.
      (3) Although it's not absolutely necessary, I like to change all my report calls to the v4 format of REPORT.PREVIEW( "", [filter],[order] ). I just find this much easier and more intuitive than the v1 format. Again, I figure I might as well fix it while I'm there so future changes will be easier. Another advantage of the v4 format is that ranges or queries are no longer needed in the script prior to running the report.

One warning about printing reports, etc. If you are passing variables to the report, a change will be necessary. I find it best to declare the variables as global in my script and then make sure the same variables in the report are changed to GLOBAL - SESSION won't work.

I'll admit it's not always easy. I'm doing 3 conversions for a long-time customer right now and charging $2000 for each application. That's a fair amount of time but I'm also doing a full conversion because they expect to be both adding new features and going to v5 this year. When they do, I don't want to run into any issues because of old v1 techniques.

Comment

Sam,
        FWIW. A5V4.5 is light years ahead of V1. I've only developed a single, simple database in V1, but from that experience; well, I really don't want to do it again. However, if your V1 app is used by you, will never be sold, does exactly what you want and will never be upgraded, and you don't want to mess with it as a hobby I'd stay where you are. On the other hand, if you're like me and think this stuff is fun, why not get V4.5 or wait for V5 and start developing your app in the new platform. There's no time crunch to do it and you might enjoy the challenge.

Comment

Ray, thanks for the posting. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Naturally I'm disappointed but I really didn't think 4.5 was that magical that it would convert V1 when V3 couldn't.

You surely got my attention when you said that V1 doesn't run with Windows 2000. Do you really mean that? If so, does it run with Windows ME? This would be very disturbing since I would always have to keep WIN98 around for the life of the application.

Please explain, Ray.

Thanks ... Sam

Comment

Thank you VERY much for those tips, Cal. I'm hoping to avoid the conversion but I may need a mountain to climb and do it anyway.

Other than what you've told me, is there a conversion cookbook anywhere which you would rate as "thorough"?

Thanks again ... Sam

Comment

Basically, Ohlen, I would agree with all the "ifs" you proposed except possibly the one about the application never being upgraded. I would assume that if I needed to upgrade the app and Version 1.02 could handle what I needed, I will still be OK.

What do you think about the compatibility of A5V1.02 with Windows ME and 2000 and NT. Is is really a "no-go" as was mentioned above? That would be awful.

???

Thanks ... Sam

Comment

Sam,

Sorry to take so long. V1 is a 16 bit program. As such it will run under all versions of Win 95 and Win 98 beacuse they can handle both 16 and 32 bit programs. Although I have never tried it, my understanding is that 16 bit programs will not run under any version of Windows NT. If my understanding is correct that Win 2000 is or is based on what is essentially Windows NT 5.0, then I would guess that v1 won't run there either. Not that it is relevant for this issue, but the new Windows XP won't even have DOS built in, though I think there will still be a way of running DOS programs.

The conversion would be somewhat painful, but again I still recommend it.

Ray

Comment

My oldest customer has been using A5v1 on an NT network for years with no problems. I believe most of their computers are actually running Win98 - I'll have to see if any of the client machines are NT.

"Is there a conversion cookbook anywhere?" Not that I know of.

Comment

If it's not too much bother, Cal, it would be nice to know that one of the client machines was running 2000 Professional or ME.

Thanks much ... Sam

Comment

Sam,
                      I recently (today) installed a A5v1 application on a computer with Windows ME. There is good news and bad news. First the good news. A5v1 opens and seems to run ok. If I open a single database (table) everything is fine. But, my apps are having all kinds of problems. Primarily, the scripts do not always seem to be able to find and open tables. I have reviewed the paths etc and even hard coded the paths for testing. Still hit or miss. This is on a computer with a Pentium 4 1.4ghz processor.

I always knew sooner or later I would have to move these apps to v4 or v4.5. Apps in version 4 seem to be working without a hitch. I will post any more good information if I find a way to make it work.

Jerry

Comment

Sam
                        Good news. A few simple changes and now all is well. I moved the files to a directory with a 8 digit name - the old windows short name format. Now everything works and all files are found. Previously, the files were in a subdirectory under "my documents". I don't know why this was a problem, but if a fix works, I am not going to complain.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for the posting, Jerry. Sounds like a good topic for the upcoming "Tips" section to me.

Comment

Jerry:

It's the ~ (tilde) thing. A5V1 can't handle anything with a ~ because, I think, of the way that it is used as a control character in the spawn methods. As a result or in addition to, it can't deal with long file names at all.

Finian
                            Finian

Comment

Finian,
                              Thanks for the clear explanation. Since I used the path variable a_app_current_path to open (spawn) a new form, it certainly explains the behavior.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X