Alpha Video Training

Thread: multiple databases

Real Name
    Terri Brians

Default multiple databases

I am using a set, I have created a letter using the address(such as, contacts) info in one db and need to put information from second db, the second db may have 1 or more records. When I create the letter using a subreport, the info from the second db prints multiple times (if there are 4 records for the first contact, each record may print 4 or 5 times, plus I am getting lots of extra empty records. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to create this document as a Report? Help!!

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default RE: multiple databases

Terri,

If I understand that you want one letter for each record in the parent table, regardless of how many child records there are....

Decide which field makes a record unique, make sure you have an index on the field (in the index for the parent table). Then in the letter, properties, records, filter expression, use the expression:

key_unique("tagname")

where tagname is the name of the index you have.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

You may not be doing anything 'wrong'. If the letter layout is based on the set, you may be wrestling with composite records. This is a shared experience by everyone who has used Alpha Five for a while.

Check the user's guide at about pg 152 for a discussion of designing reports for sets with one to many links.

Is your design a 'letter' layout, or is it a 'report' layout? Contrast the discussion in the user's guide at about pg 158 for a discussion of how one to many links are handled in letters. (It's different from reports).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

OOPs! I re-read your original post. I see that you're having the problem in a subreport inside a letter. This is probably a composite record problem, resulting from the one to many link. If Stan's idea doesn't work, try putting the fields you need in the subreport header, not in the subreport details, and group your subreport on a unique attribute of the parent records...

This would be easier to troubleshoot if you posted a working sample for us to examine. Such a thing can be done by zipping your database and attaching it to a message in this forum.