Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Norton Antivirus 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton Antivirus 2001

We have updated to the Alpha Five 4.5 version.
    When we run Norton Antivirus 2001 version 7.00.51F
    we must disable Norton Antivirus Autoprotect before
    running Alpha Five 4.5. Norton 2000 seems to run
    okay with Alpha FIve but Norton Antivirus 2001
    must be disabled. Is there a conflict with
    Alpha 5 and Norton 2001 or is it our setup?

RE: Norton Antivirus 2001

Sharon,
    We use McAfee so I can't say for sure but sometimes if you remove the program causing the conflict and then reinstall it the problem goes away. I was told that this is because the Windows registry will then load A5 first and then the problem program. This may not work but its worth a shot and couldn't hurt if you have run out of options.
    Jeff

Comment

I can't tell you specifically but, generally, I have found A5 to be very stable and Norton products to be buggy and resource hogs.

Comment

Hi Jeff..

Did that -- doesn't work. Having troubles with another "database" software -- turn off Norton 2001 works fine!!!

Any other assistance that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sharon

Comment

I removed all Norton products from my system (not an easy task -- had to reinstall Windows to get rid of it all) because my problems started when I installed Norton, haven't returned since I removed Norton.

Comment

I don't know about 2001, but in earlier versions of Norton you could exclude files and direcotries. You might try excluding the A5 program and data directories. You won't have protection, but if you have to turn off autoprotect, then at least the other directories will still be protected.
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

This is a bit (actually a lot) extreme. The only Norton products that could possibly be affecting A5 are those that run in the background, like Antivirus or crashguard. Most of Norton Utilities do not run in the background, for example, so why remove these valuable tools?

I don't know about v4.5, but I run v4 with Norton Antivirus 2001 running in the background with no trouble. If v4.5 has a problem, turning off the background part of Norton AV is easy. However, if there is a problem with Norton AV and A5 it would behoove Alpha to cure the problem with a fix rather than just say the problem is with Norton. Alpha simply can't afford to take that stance in the market place against a product as widely used as Norton products.

Ray

Comment

If it was only Alpha products that suffered, I'd say you were right.

You'd think that a company that specializes in supposedly solving problems on machines wouldn't create so many, would you? I ran Norton's own uninstall routine and it left bits and pieces of Norton's software scattered ALL over my system.

This was an earlier version, but because of my experiences with it, I haven't been in a hurry to try their newer stuff.

Comment

I've had a couple of Norton's versions, the latest, Norton System Works 2001. Had to remove both in order to solve the problems and even then had to edit the registry afterwards to remove the odds-n-ends Norton left behind. Seems that once Symantec got ahold of Norton, the bugs migrated to it. And, it wasn't only when I used A5. My machine would lockup no matter what app I was using. For me, it wasn't worth the hassel of hours of T&E to figure out which part of Norton was causing the problem. I will say, however, that Norton Utilities seemd to be OK as long as that was the only Norton utility product loaded.

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

In defence of Norton products, I've used many over the years, and while not perfect, certainly not the cause of 'Chaos' as some would suggest.

I've had SystemWorks 2001 installed on a WinMe machine and I enjoy it immensely. It's trapped at least 8 to 10 email viruses. It 'auto updates' it's virus definition, so I don't have to think about it.

It's never caused any grief with any of the packages I've used, including Alpha Five.

My $.02
                    --Bob

Comment

Bob,

I ordered the first release of SW 2001. Symantec sent me a post card, had to wit a few weeks for it's release. Bought it because it was at a reduced price due to being the first release. As the old saying goes, there's always bugs in the 1st release.

To get Norton Utilities to work, I had to disable all the 'runnig in background features', especially Crashguard.

I also signed up to receive email updates from Symantec re: Norton. At first, they were coming every 2-3 days with bug fixes. Now, it's down to once every 2 weeks or so.

kenn
                      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
                      X