Alpha Video Training

Thread: INSTALLATION

James Peterson

Default INSTALLATION

We have written a program for a client in Alpha5V4.5.

The client has recently upgraded from A5V2 to A5V4.5. The version of A5V2 was not overwritten, by choice, and left on the same drive.

Our new program will not load. It loads to the Control Panel, but other tab items are not available, such as forms, etc. The new program has a Startup From assigned.

The new program works just fine on our computer.

The client has another program that was written in A5V2 and that program is now running fine under A5V4.5.

Any ideas?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: INSTALLATION

To determine if this is an installation issue, or if the app is not 'portable', you might try installing it on a different machine... preferably one which has not been updated from vers. 2 to vers. 4.5 in the manner you describe.

i.e. take another machine. Install 4.5 from scratch. Port your app there. Will it run? if not, that probably means that you have not copied over all necessary files, or perhaps there are pathing issues in some of your scripts.

Jeff Moses

James, just a few thoughts.
    1. Was V4.5 installed with A5 installation or just the directory copied. 2.Have you tried opening Ver4.5 first and then opening the app from within the program? A5 always opens the last version used if it opened via application link. 3. If you did custom A5 install did all new dll files install with it?
    Jeff

James Peterson

Thannks for the reply. What might make a program unportable?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

If the database is scattered across more than one directory, Alpha Five embeds physical path information in the database. When the database files are collected and moved to another pc, often the path structure there is different. Alpha Five expects the files to be located in the same structure that was embedded on the development machine.

In other instances the developer might hard code specific path information into a script, instead of using relative path information. A similar problem will occur if the script tries to run on a machine with different path structures...

James Peterson

Thanks Tom. I tried to install on another machine with the same result. However, my contact found that I had not copied all the files needed to run the program. Some of the files were in a separate directory. We combined the directories. The program then ran correctly. The mystery still remaining for me is when I created the program, how did I create two separated folders for the program or database.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Charlie Crimmel

James:
    Alpha seems to remember where the last directory was used to look at or open a file.
    On more than one occasion I have added a new table to an application and if I don't pay close attention where the default folder is it will put it in a different folder. On your development machine,go to control pannel,click on the table tab, go to view and view details. That will tell you where all of your tables are located.
    Charlie Crimmel