Alpha Video Training

Thread: Upgrade Advice Needed

David LITTLE

Default Upgrade Advice Needed

We currently run Alpha 5V4 on a 5 user nextwork in the UK. I need to add an extra 3 users to our network, and i also would like to upgrade to the new vertion 4.5

What is my best and cheapest options?

If I buy a new 3 or 5 user pack How does Aplha know that i have 5,8,or 10 licenses.

Can I purchase a new alpha5v4.5 for 3 users and share my database with the other alpha5v4 users.

Would the Runtime suit me?

The Bottom line is that I want to Run alpha4.5 on 8 machines and I currently own 5 user vertion.

nick marodis

Default RE: Upgrade Advice Needed

David,
    Unless you just would like to give developement options to your end users
    i would spring for the runtime thats 199.00 for all eight users and not 79.00 X 8=632.00 .

Nick
    dbd

David LITTLE

Thanks for the reply,

If we run the runtime vertion would all my users on the network be able to run the same database.

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

David,

The runtime allows all the users to use the same or different databases, they just can't modify layouts, reports, field rules, table structures, code, etc.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    csda@mediaone.net

David LITTLE

What happens if you change any of the reports forms etc whillst users are logged on , does the runtime crash.

nick marodis

No. Not unless there trying to access the report that your working on.
    For the most part you needed to work with the tables off line, then update to working copy.

Nick
    dbd

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

David,

Runtime or regular, it makes no difference. Some things can and some things can't be modified while others are online with either type. Layouts can be. People will get the new version next time it is loaded or printed. Field Rules, Indexes, Table Structures can not be changed while others are using the database. Alpha will tell you if you try to change something that is not allowed.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    csda@mediaone.net

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I didn't see that anyone addressed the question of upgrading at the same time he added users. It would be my thought that he needs at least 1 upgrade of the developer version plus the runtime. Won't there be trouble if he gets the 4.5 runtime and tries to access 4.03 developed files and layouts.

Also, since his developer version is currently a five user license, he will have to purchase a 5 user 4.5 developer upgrade, or buy the single user developer program, or make some arrangement with Alpha for a single user registration number. The single user developer upgrade will not upgrade a workstation running a multi user license developer version.

David LITTLE

Now i am completely confused, what is a developer vertion.

Real Name
    Paul French

The regular, full, A5 program as distinct from the Runtime.

David LITTLE

We currently run Alpha 5V4 on a 5 user nextwork in the UK. I need to add an extra 3 users to our network, and i also would like to upgrade to the new vertion 4.5

What is my best and cheapest options?

If I buy a new 3 or 5 user pack How does Aplha know that i have 5,8,or 10 licenses.

Can I purchase a new alpha5v4.5 for 3 users and share my database with the other alpha5v4 users.

Would the Runtime suit me?

The Bottom line is that I want to Run alpha4.5 on 8 machines and I currently own 5 user vertion.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

The registration number that you entered tells your copy of Alpha how many times it can connect to the .muf file. Single user registration numbers pass one form of validation routine, three user numbers pass another, and five user numbers yet another. Your current five user license can't connect a sixth time because when it tries to open the .muf file (connect), Alpha validates the registration number, checks the .muf file for current users, and there are already the allowed number of users. That's the .muf file's puropse.

Unless someone can explain why it would be otherwise, you'll have to purchase a single user full (not upgrade) copy of the full (developer not runtime) version of Alpha 4.5, plus the unlimited runtime program for 4.5. This assumes you have one person doing the developing and the other users merely need visibility of the information.

I haven't double checked the numbers but I believe this would be less expensive than buying a five user upgrade to version 4.5 and a new three user license for 4.5. Also you would be able to add users as you wished without purchasing anything else.

Terry Morgan

David
    I am also in the UK (essex) and my users are just that IE they do not make any changes to the app but only the data.
    All users (30+) use the unlimited runtime on a NT network and use network optimisation which is lightning fast when compared to using the full version unoptomised.
    I reccomend you go for the runtime.
    Terry

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

David,

Nick hit it close but in addition to the $199 runtime, you will need to purchase the 4.5 upgrade for $79, total of $278 US bucks. If tou want to stay with the current version, then the runtime is still $199 but you will need to be sure Alpha knows which runtime version you need.

I would upgrade to version 4.5 and the 4.5 runtime for $278. Most economical way and you'll have the ability to add as many stations as you want at no extra license cost.

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello,

>>I didn't see that anyone addressed the question of upgrading at the same time he added users. It would be my thought that he needs at least 1 upgrade of the developer version plus the runtime. >Won't there be trouble if he gets the 4.5 runtime and tries to access 4.03 developed files and layouts.

nick marodis

Thank you Ken for hitting the nail on the head.-nick