Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Demo disks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demo disks?

I would like to get some comments on demo disks, their value, problems, percent of purchases or any other problems or experiences other users have had offering demo disks.
    I am thinking about doing this and I am not sure if it is a good way to go.

Thanks for any comments

Lloyd

RE: Demo disks?

I designed an app for the Lupus Foundation in Michigan a year ago. Last month, the man from Lupus took a demo of my program to the national conference, and six other chapters requested a demo. I sent them, and so far 3 chapters have bought the program.

This is a fabulous success rate, but I suspect it's not typical. But to answer your specific question, I think any time a potential customer can actually try the software, they are much more likely to buy it.

I set up my trial disk with the complete program, but put scripting in so they were limited as to how many records they could enter. I like this approach better than limiting some of the functions (such as making forms read-only), because they can actually USE it, rather than just looking at the pretty screens.

Comment

Bill

Thank for the info.
      I was thinking of giving them the entire program, but limiting the use to 30 days. Do you think that limiting the records is a better approach?

Lloyd

Comment

Lloyd,

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get a 30 day demo and not be able to use it even in 90 days to try it out. Better it should be for 30 uses, or a certain amount of time, etc. That way, when the user is ready to try it, he can.

Just my thoughts,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design & Associates
        [email protected]
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I have it set so that it will be 30 days from the time it is run the first time. I hope this will give the user time to try it even if they wait 6 months to use it the first time.

Comment

I've never had a problem installing a demo so that it would run for as long as I wanted. With my schedule I hae to (it might take me a couple months to be able to look at it). There is a way to block that but very few are set to take advantage of it.

A demo with a limited number of uses is better since a customer might have a full schedule. If the customer looks at yours first, then a few others, and gets back to yours in 45 days for a final evaluation he can't work with anything other than his memory. Usually at this point he wants to check/compare a few specific features. If it's a situation where someone is giving a demostration of different packages to his boss a couple months later he won't be able to show your package unless he reinstalls it (unless you've also taken steps to prevent that method of getting around the time limit).

Comment

Jim

I hadn't thought of that happening, when I get a demo I try it as soon as I get it. Maybe the number of uses or number of records will be a better way to go. Don't have time to change it now. Someone wants a copy asap, but I will try some of the changes.

Thanks to all for your ideas amd suggestions.

Lloyd

Comment

Hi,

I was intrigued by your answer. I thought a record limit
                was an excellent idea. Is there any info anywher on how to write this kind of script and where to place it?

Thanks.

Comment

Shuan,

On the CanSaveRecord event in the field rules you will have to retreive the number of records that are in the table with .records_get(). If you are restricting your demo to only allow the user 50 records then you will need the following xbasic:

dim tbl as p
                  tbl=table.current()
                  if tbl.records_get() >= 50 then
                  cancel()
                  end if

I hope this helps.

steve

Comment

I use a record limit on the forms new button, but it could be on the can enter event for the table.

I check the record count and if it is greater than the limit required cancel the operation

A sort of code to use would be

dim rcnt as N
                    dim tbl as P
                    tbl=table.get()
                    rcnt=tbl.records_get()
                    if rcnt

Comment

Thank you both Steve & Ron.

Wow! What a list this is! I'm really happy to have come across both Alpha Software and this list!

Comment

To All,

Record limits are nice for some application demos, but are not a particularly good idea when an application has the potential to get large (e.g. 20,000 or more records). To limit a user means he will not be able to test it in a manner that it would be used.

My top 10 other ways of crippling an application are;

10. No user customization (if you have any)
                        9. No Import of data (limited to sample data and user input)
                        8. No export
                        7. No printing (or maybe only a certain # of printouts maximum - People do want to see what it looks like)
                        6. Limited uses of whole application or just particular functions
                        5. Limited # of days of usage (keep track of the day has changed and if so, decrement counter)
                        4. Enabling only say, 2 features at a time for a use (ala CoolEdit96 shareware)
                        3. Allow no changing of Data (only enter)
                        2. No Network usage (there are ways of locking the application to 1 user)

and finally the number 1 way to cripple your application is.......

1. Constantly make changes, add features and especially, fix bugs!!!!

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design & Associates
                        [email protected]
                        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                        CSDA Screen Capture