Alpha Video Training

Thread: Problems after 4.5 upgrade

Real Name
    Rick Altobello

Default Problems after 4.5 upgrade

I upgraded from 4.03 to 4.5. The problem that I am having is that I have a set for creating work orders in our store. When creating a new work order, we would enter the customers phone number and then the rest the customer information would automatically fill the customer information fields on the work order form. After the upgrade, this no longer works. I have compacted and re-indexed several times with no help. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

nick marodis

Default RE: Problems after 4.5 upgrade

Rick,
    Check your field rules on the phone number field and you index's for that table.
    I have a feeling they've changed or no longer there.

Good Luck
    Nick

Real Name
    Rick Altobello

Nick,

Thanks for the response. I will look at it later when I can take the system off-line.

Rick

Jim Rowlen

It may be that you have to change focus to the part of the screen that has the additional info on it. If you save the record and do a screen refresh(or just pg up and pg dn) is the info there? If it is then when the record is saved do a screen refresh using the form's onSave event and sys_send_keys (or is it send_sys_keys?) with the F5 in it for the refresh.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Rick, whenever we do an upgrade to the software there is always a chance that a bug we fix, or a behavior we change, in one area might have an unintended consequence in another.

I would very much like to get a copy of your app to see why the behavior has changed. I am sure it is something we can remedy very quickly.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Rick Altobello

Selwyn,

I have doing some trouble shooting and have found where the problem is but unable to fix it.

Here is the situation. When I create a new work order, a dialog form appears of which we enter the customers first name, last name and phone number (all 3 fields are varibles). When the dialog closes, the cust_id field has focus.
    The Cust_id field has a simple default field rule of SUBSTR(VAR->VFIRST,1,1)+SUBSTR(VAR->VLAST,1,1)+VAR->VPHONE. This leaves me with the first initial of the first and last names plus the phone number for a customer ID. (ex RA5395777) The cust_id field is populated correclty and after changing focus, the customer information is blank, but if I type the Cust_id information directly in the Cust_id field, it works correclty. So the problem appears to be how the routine handles the default expression. If you still need a copy of my app let me know.
    I sure do appreciate the increase of speed thru the network with this new version. Forms load much quicker.

Thanks for your assitance.

Rick

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Rick

If it is not too much trouble, I would like to get a copy of the app so that I can duplicate the problem on my machine.

If possible, you can isolate just the tables that need to be sent to me to duplicate the problem, rather than having to send the entire app. For example, make a new folder and copy the tables needed to duplicate the problem to this folder. Confirm that you can still repeat the problem, then send me the files in that folder.

Thanks

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Rick:

Thanks for sending the app to me.

i must not be understanding exactly what the bug is, because i have tried your app and it seems to work fine.

here is what i did:

1. opened the app and clicked the "work orders" button on the main menu.

2. clicked the "new work order" screen - that brings up a dialog form.

3. entered my name and phone number - then clicked OK.

4. the dialog closed and the customer id field was correctly filled in with the default value.

5. tabbed out of the customer id field. value remained filled in.

If there is some other sequence of steps I need to follow to see the problem, please let me know.

PS. You say that I should keep in mind that you are a novice. However, this app looks very good. You certainly don't look like a novice to me!

Real Name
    Rick Altobello

Selwyn,

After you change focus from the Cust_id field, select a received by and then the area code, once the area code has been selected, the customers address fields should automatically be filled from the customer data base. It is not working here on my local machine or the runtime versions on the network. It did work prior to the upgrade. Thanks for the quick response.

Rick

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Rick

Here is a solution to your problem.

I am not exactly sure why the behaviour is slightly different from V4.03 to V4.5, but in any event, the solution I offer here works (and works better - I think - than the way you had it in V4.03 - because the customer information is filled in IMMEDIATELY).

The solutions:

In the script attached to the "New Work Order" button, the last step in the action script is:

PARENT.new_record()

Change this to:

PARENT.new_record()
    cust_id.activate()
    cust_id.text = SUBSTR(VAR->VFIRST,1,1)+SUBSTR(VAR->VLAST,1,1)+VAR->VPHONE

Please let me know if this works for you.

It worked for me.

Real Name
    Rick Altobello

Selwyn,

Thanks for the solution and quick support turn around time. The routine works better than before. If anyone has any concerns about Alpha Software Support, send them my way and I will ensure that they understand that Alpha Software Support is superior to others.

Thanks to all that responded and contribute to the message board, I have learned a great deal from you all.

Thanks again.

Rick Altobello
    President
    BCS Incorporated