Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Future of Alpha 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of Alpha 5

To all:

I have worked with Alpha software for many years and have been impressed with its abilities. However, I am concerned at the lack of software, books,and general knowledge of Alpha database products in both the retail market
    and everyday businesses.. MS Access on the other hand is everywhere.

I am considering having an application developed for a new business venture. However, I do not want to go through the effort to develop a top notch application only to
    have it fade away.

What are your feelings regarding the future of Alpha applications?

RE: Future of Alpha 5

Michael,

In my opinion Alpha software's best day are yet ahead. I believe Selwyn and Richard are taking steps to address these concerns, which by the way, many developers have expressed.

I think once version five is released, and people start hearing of the product, we will see Alpha Five rise in the market place. I expect Alpha Five to eventually outperform in sales, and receive the market recognition the Alpha Four enjoyed for several years.

I personally have no fear of sticking with Alpha Software. I think Selwyn and Richard are passionate in their goals of bringing new life to Alpha. This was very evident to everyone who attended the recent conference.

Comment

Hi, Michael,

I fully understand your concern. However, consider the following:

1. Alpha is in the midst of a major release of a cutting edge new version. Even if the company were (G-d forbid) to fold right after the release, this version will still be extremely viable for quite a few years. And this is the worst case scenario, totally improbable!

2. People invest many millions of dollars every day based solely on track record, with absolutely no guarantee at all. Alpha's track record of staying ahead of the competition is excellent.

3. It is no secret that Alpha is up against Microsoft, a formidable competitor that has succeeded to wipe competition of the market at will. BUT, I think that if that would've caused the demise of Alpha, it would've happened already. Why didn't it? Maybe because Alpha is not big enough, and not making a big enough dent in the market. Or maybe with all the antitrust problems it already has, they want some small competitors out there. But I think the real reason is the personal commitment of the Rabins brothers to this excellent product, and the amazingly strong loyalty of the customer base.

4. Look at the growth potential ahead. You mentioned that Alpha is invisible on the retail market. Imagine if they picked up their marketing a little!

There is much more to say, but I'll leave it to the many other respondents to your posting. I know there will be many, because such comments always generate passionate responses. This in itself should tell you something!

All the best,

TR

Comment

Michael

I have also been very concerned at the dearth of Alpha Five "presence" in the database market place. I can only conjecture at the past, except to observe that Alpha Software has exhibited redoubtable toughness in surviving as long as they have. The database product was owned by various company's during it's history, some of which had no business owning a database product - I see people looking for help with game software!

Currently the original developer of Alpha Software owns the company, and seems to be doing all the right things. This may be about as perfect an arrangement anyone associated with the product could want. They have a clear personal committment to a single product, and I think they have a long history that will be remembered by those who have been in the database business, many of whom will be frustrated with their existing product. I mean nothing bad, some folks won't like Alpha. My point is they have a low profile in the media, but a long history with a good reputation as a product.

With the release of version 5 I am hoping they will encourage some media attention and make themselves available at the regular software outlets. Discussion on the board is also asking for third party books, not just manuals. If these come to pass Alpha Software could be in for some fun, busy times.

All the signs are there that Alpha is coming out of the hospital after being beat up by management - wrong ownership, lack of investment, lack of focus - and if shares were available, now would be an excellent time to buy. I think Alpha's future is about as good as you can imagine.

On the other hand I think Microsoft is starting to slide the other way. I agree there is a lot of Access visibility, but Microsoft is now tinkering with television and internet as their future and you can bet your sox this will mean less attention to their software. In my opinion I would sell Microsoft shares. Micosoft won't disappear, it just won't make the money it should. I think Microsofts management was brilliant at hard competition but the whole legal mess where they have to break up windows (what is going on with that, anyway) has broken the corporate spirit. Now is a poor time to look to their products, as good as they have been in the past.

And lets face it, all these software packages could do the job. It is a matter of how fast, and also how much fun. Alpha Software is just starting to rock, and it is exciting to be a part of a success story. No way Alpha isn't here for as long as you will need them!

Comment

I appreciate the comments made by the contributors to this thread and I want to assure everyone that Richard, myself and the entire team at Alpha are all extremely motivated to keep on making Alpha Five a better, easier and more powerful product.

I personally am highly energized by the things we are doing to Alpha Five.

Comment

We've been developing some A5 apps for new clients in markets way outside of where our market is. We're not a consulting firm and normally don't develop software for others, but our our company's capabilities in our industry has led to others asking us to help them develop apps.

Using A5 has opened up a nice totally unexpected profit center for us.

When v5 finally hits the market and gets a few magazine reviews (I might have to write one myself) the database industry is going to take notice and, after the initial shock and surprise, begin copying what the Rabins Brothers have done. If they want still want to compete.

Do I sound like a loyal user?

Comment

Hi Michael,

A couple of years ago I was thinking the same thoughts you are now. In my opinion, Alpha is in a much more positive position now. With the recent release of A5v4.5, giving us a rock solid development environment, the promise of v5 with all it's bells and whistles (xdialog is going to empower us like we can't believe), activeX compatability, the client/server version, which although at the moment is vaporware, I believe is in active development, talk of terminal mode xbasic, sdi and cgi processes I'm more excited about the future of A5 than I was when I discovered A4.

I think Alpha is honestly striving to empower both the developer and the end user and if they succeed, we succeed.

Good luck,
              Jim

Comment

I have heard this question for years. I'm not worried at all. Alpha Software is in Massachusetts and remember if those yankees get their backs to the wall they'll just start dumping copies of Access into the Boston harbour just like they did with tea then they will have the only game in town.

Comment

Someone else said it on this site earlier: All the Access books on the bookshelf say the same thing. I prefer to think there are so many books because there has to be. Access is so tough to use it has to be explained over and over just like calculus. On the other hand, Alpha is so easy to use even a novice like me can eventually develop a sophisticated app. And V5 is going to really be something. Hey maybe it'll give me an excuse to buy a newer, faster computer. Hmmmmmm'

Comment

Hi Bob,

While dumping Access into Boston Harbor might seem to be a good idea, I might point out that our harbor is well on it's way to being clean again! No more "Dirty Water" ! ! !

Instead, I suggest either recycling them through your local recycle agencies, or reuse them. Some examples of reuse might be;

1. As a prop for that wobbily table
                    2. Crumpled up pages from the manual as packing for shipping
                    3. Use the CD's as coasters
                    4. Allow your 3 year old to draw on the pages
                    5. As a weight in your car trunk to give you more traction
                    6. As a chew toy for your dog/cat
                    7. Pages from the manuals can be used as bird cage liner
                    8. Shredded paper from the manual can be used in animal cages as bedding
                    9. Save the CD Jewel case holder (if you got one) for one of your other cracked ones.

These are only some of the ways you can recycle and save our environment! Others may have more creative suggestions.

And of course, encourage firms to buy at most 1 copy (in case they need to transfer a file to Alpha 5 or send someone a file in a native Access format)!

:?)

Regards,

Ira
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I have to admit that I have used A5 as kind of a secret weapon. I always challenge Access developers to come up with an application in a limited time window. When you're setting across from the boss (or client) and they hear this, more often than not the challenge is accepted.

Given this chance, I almost always win the project. I have 'played' with Access and that's what makes me good at developing on Alpha 5.

Now, conversely, if I am challenged with Filemaker Pro, I get a little nervous because of its connectability with the internet.

Comment

I have to admit that I have used A5 as kind of a secret weapon. I always challenge Access developers to come up with an application in a limited time window. When you're sitting across from the boss (or client) and they hear this, more often than not the challenge is accepted.

Given this chance, I almost always win the project. I have 'played' with Access and that's what makes me good at developing on Alpha 5.

Now, conversely, if I am challenged with Filemaker Pro, I get a little nervous because of its connectability with the internet.

Comment

Working...
                        X