Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Does 4.5 fix Controlpanel.hide()?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does 4.5 fix Controlpanel.hide()?

The subject about says it all. If anyone is set up to test this easily, I would love an answer.

An app with a main menu oninit controlpanel.hide() and a fair bunch of forms.

1. open a bunch of forms
    2. close several of the forms
    3. open some more forms
    4. check the Window menu item for the step 3 forms.

I never see the forms opened in step 3 in the Window list in version 4. Do they show in 4.5?

RE: Does 4.5 fix Controlpanel.hide()?

I tested this with both the 4.5 release and the 5.0 beta.

Regretably, this is still a bug in v 4.5 and in v 5.0 - I will work
    on a fix for v 5.0 and see if it can be back-ported to version a 4.5
    patch (there are a couple other things on the list).

Comment

Thanks for checking, Cian. There's nothing in 4.5 yet that tickles our tootsies, but Controlpanel.hide() would be a worthy investment.

Comment

Yes, it would really be nice to not see the control panel or having to write xbasic to hide it upon opening an app. But, "nothing in 4.5 that tickles our tootsies"? Judging from past posts, these features are sure to "tickle many footsies". It does mine!

Substantial Improvements to Indexing with this version, we are introducing substantial improvement to the database �engine� in Alpha Five. Indexes are now "self-correcting". When an index is read or modified, it is automatically checked and repaired if necessary. Checking a non-corrupt index uses negligible processing time. The net effect of this is that you will have to perform index updates less frequently, if at all and you will �ratchet� up the stability and robustness of your applications.

In particular, the "unable to add key to tag", or "heap lock error" messages will, under
        normal operation, be eliminated!

Significant Performance Improvements. If you have defined calculated fields (in field rules, forms, reports etc.), which use lookups you will notice very meaningful performance improvements. In large applications with lots of lookup calculations, these performance improvements will be quite dramatic.

Additionally, forms and reports will load much more quickly. Also, the speed of operations (such as Global Updates, Posting etc.) has been dramatically improved in the case where the table you are updating has calculated fields.

Enhanced Memory Management: Alpha Five version 4.5 manages memory much more efficiently. You will no longer experience a slow down of Xbasic scripts that perform a lot of string manipulations.

Resource Management Improvements Alpha Five version 4.5 now handles Windows resources much more effectively. As a result of this you will be able to cycle between Form or Report "design mode" and "run mode" without running out of Windows resources.

Improved Network Performance: If you are running Alpha Five on a network, you may have encountered frequent "file locked by another user" and "network congestion" messages when many users access the same database on an NT server? If so, you will see very noticeable improvements made to our file locking algorithms.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,
          You missed Sandy's point. She is not trying to hide the control panel, she just wants to see the open forms listed under the "Windows" menu item. She is pointing out a bug. Cian, more power to you! Ken, I agree. The stability issue, although not sexy, is very important.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

Oops! Shazam! First mistake I ever made (Since the last one). But it does show how folks can intrepret the same statement differently. Even 2 people seeing a guy get punched in the nose will describe it differently.

Thanks for showing me the proper interpretation.

kenn
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Nothing against 4.5, but we all have different needs. We have version 4 working now except for the ladies hitting Control Panel by accident now and then and the 256 color troubles. I'm not about to write any more code until version 5. With only one application, a fairly mature one, we aren't really a candidate for 4.5.

Comment

There used to be in earlier versions a handy 'Close All' option here. I used to find it very usefule.

Michael

Comment

We really do want exactly Controlpanel.hide(), honest. Don't tell Steve, but we actually need a dozen or so windows open sometimes. You just have to use the Windows menu to navigate that bunch.

Comment

Hi Sandy,

I looked in to this bug -- it has been on the list a number of times
                    (and looked at a number of times) -- a big part of the problem is that
                    A5 doesn't manage the window list, MFC (the Microsoft Foundation Classes)
                    does - as such, a5 is doing something (i have not been able to pinpoint
                    what) - that MFC dissaproves of. Thrown into the mix, we save & restore
                    the menu for every window - I suspect when MFC has trouble with is keeping
                    the 'latest' version of the menu updated.

I have slowly (though a war of attrition) - been reducing our dependence
                    on MFC, which it has become evident is more trouble than it is worth
                    (because of bugs like this). Eventually, I would like to remove MFC
                    entirely from A5, this would allow us to address bugs like this (I could
                    hack the MFC source code & develop our own variant on MFC, but that could
                    cause other problems, MFC is extremely tightly coupled - Most of the
                    microsoft tools seem to be written using thier newer ATL interface, not
                    MFC).

To fix this, I should rewrite the window menu as Xbasic - this should be
                    possible in version 5.0 (a number of the menus have already been rewritten
                    in xbasic as addins) -- the approach of rewrite UI in xbasic has done
                    a number things:

1) made it MUCH easier customize A5.
                    2) made it MUCH easier to integrate third party libraries
                    (couldn't have done spellchecker as easily without it).
                    3) will eventually make it possible to control every aspect
                    of the program through the xbasic language (xbasic gets
                    more powerful).

Of course - this leaves 4.5 out of the picture unless I do a special case
                    fix for it (probably disable MFC's window menu, and replace it with a
                    lookalike).

Comment

See, Selwyn was right to hide that 256 color problem from you. He said you would take off looking for the bug in version 4 - which would do no good for versions 4.5 and 5 ;-)

This should all come together in version 5, about when we get rid of the 256 color system and I start writing apps again. I don't know the MFC situation in Whistler; will check next go round. I already sent Selwyn a capture of an icon color problem if you get bored .

Comment

cian:

cian chambliss wrote:
                        -------------------------------
                        -- a big part of the problem is that A5 doesn't manage the window list, MFC (the Microsoft Foundation Classes)does -
                        -------------------------------

PMFJI, cian, but I think that you should use the correct terminology when posting to this message board.

I believe that the correct name for MFC is the Microsoft Frustration Class :) .

Cheers,
                        O.J.

P.S. The above is from an old third-party C++ frameworks ad (Zinc?) that also called Borland's then current OWL (Object Windows Library) the Outdated Windows Library.

Comment

Sandy
                          I posted a little database in the code section that lets you switch to any open form or browse. I hope that is will help you.

Allen Klimeck

Comment

Wonderful! I've never done a menu before, so I haven't quite got it finished, but the script is working on one form right now. I'll figure out how you made it available to all later.

Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X