Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five books question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five books question

Many of our users have expressed interest in third party how-to books.

To that end, and to avoid the kind of redundancy found in the books published about products such as Access or Visual Basic, we're asking users what kind of reference books they would like to have written and made available to them through Alpha Software.

I know that many of you on this message board are knowledgeable users who will want books that cover more advanced topics, but we're also looking for
    suggestions from (or on behalf of) new users who are just starting out. I'm hoping that many of you who work in an Alpha Five consultant capacity can make valuable suggestions of what the more uninitiated need.

Please email me with any and all suggestions for titles, topics and content that you would like to see published.

Thank you,
    Richard Rabins
    [email protected]
    Richard Rabins
    Co Chairman
    Alpha Software

RE: Alpha Five books question

Richard:
    I think replies right here are more appropriate so we can all inspire ecah other and avoid too much repetition..

I find I use the pdf files of version 4 heavily, and I am pretty happy with the layout and format, especialy now I am familiar with them. A simple spiral bound hard copy would be nice. I printed them out and put them in a ring binder and rarely look at them...

However the examples in the pdf files are brief (probably necessary for the format) They would benefit from amplification under more "real world" examples. A number of prototype database solutions ship with Alpha Five and I think each of these could be used as reference material to explain and teach tools and techniques.

My first real database application was written in dBaseII plus based on a book with a full invoicing solution. I had a disk with the code, but I wrote it out to lean it, and from there made modifications. The book allowed various alternates depending on individual preference. I found it extremely effective.

I would love a simple GL AP AR solution in this format...This could be quite a package and I would expect to pay for it.

more later...

Comment

I want (at least) two books. I'll have to think about one for a while, but the other should be like the old DOS 3 reference. It should have the normal bits of course, like Copy file and Copy record, but each entry should have a note about where to use that item or how to access it. (I was so frustrated at first trying to find things that existed only in Form Design or such.) It should also include literal items like a-tbl and this. And the index should be proofed by someone who has never seen Alpha or a database before.

The Invoice database has saved my bacon more than once by serving as a common language with the folks here and by providing code for me to snitch wholesale. It would be nice to see that updated and ideas others have for similar examples.

Comment

Everything I know about databases I learned from the A4v2 and A4v3 tutorial and reference manuals. Well, not quite, but they were very well written and complete.

What I miss in the A5 materials are more complete Appendicies, and a complete Function reference section complete with examples. I have also sometimes been frustrated by somewhat terse explanations of how to do certain things like finding the code editor. Once you've worked with A5 for a while, these things become second nature, but when trying to learn....

I also tend to use the index a lot to find specific information about a topic on which I need more information. I good index is essential -- and perhaps a single index that covers all of the volumes that make up the reference materials would be good.

Comment

I note that some (or all) of the replies refer to A4, which I prefer to A5 though I now use the latter). What I would appreciate is a book that has the quality of the A4V6 manual for A5. Alpha software does not appear to have had the same impact here in the UK as in USA and that is most unfortunate. As an accountant with a strong secondary interest in systems design I have found all products in this area from Alpha Software some of the most easy to learn how to use and to use in practice.
          Joseph Galvin.

Comment

Wow, I'm amazed that everyone seems to have the same likes/dislikes as I do.
            A4Ver 2 had great manual/tutorial. The tutorial should build an app from the ground up to a complex app and explain EVERYTHING. The more detail the better.
            I really like the idea of an enclosed app with usable GL, AR, AP. This should be a logic framework that allows modification to suit a purpose but prevents (as best it can) a developer from breaking the logic. This would be a great selling point to many prospective users as many, like me, started using A4 (V2) to develop an app that was needed. I think Alpha needs to market to those that need an app who are willing to develop it, and will choose A5 because it will solve a problem faster, easier, with less headaches. Any starter app frameworks that can be made available would be a great help to developers, especially new ones. I suppose app frameworks could be made available for a lot of different types of industries and sold if they were any good and included some developed logic for the app. (Just a thought)
            I also agree strongly with the index comments. The index in the A5V4 manual, which I purchased spiral bound, sucks. (Pardon my french)I have been frustrated many times when I need something, and I know it's in the manual but I can't find it in the index. You might also solicit input from this board on other names for things to put in the index and have the reference to it in the index.
            Lots of commented examples are always useful.
            Some apps I've purchased have had CD's with them with tutorials written with Lotus screen cam (or whatever it's called)This might be useful, and might be quick and easy to develop. Some of the stuff from the conference in Dec could easily be put in this format.
            You might have the basic manuals included and charge extra for additional manuals that go into more detail on other topics. I know if an extra manual for $25 can save me a few hours of head scratching it's worth it, although I can't speak for everyone else, and I know many software buyers want everything for free.
            I also think that regular bound manuals are important. At least they should be available. I know others prefer the spiral bound ones but I like the type of manual with A4v6. (I have a friend who has access to binding through a local university. He has said he can get stuff bound for me and I will check into this further when the CD is available)
            I guess that's enough rambling for now.

Russ

Comment

Also there needs to be a chapter on networking, network optimization, and shadow databases. The current manuals don't say much on this, or at least there is nothing in the index (refer to precious posts)
              There appear to be a lot of problems getting A5 to network nicely. This apparently needs to be cleaned up/explained better.
              A4 has a pretty good explanation of this in the manual

Russ

Comment

Indexing - I agree wholeheartedly. There are far too many items missing fron the current index. That would help a lot. Printed manuals are essential in my humble opinion. Spiral or otherwise. I too am willing to pay.

Speaking of paying, I surmise there are three kinds of "developers". Professional developers who create applications for others, in-house developers who create applications for their company, and hobbyists. I would think the first two categories don't mind paying a fair price for Alpha software, books, whatever. After all, if you sell your application you are making money from Alpha and would want to support the product, since the product supports you. The second category likewise, plus, even a small business can readily afford a product that helps run the business. The latter category, hobbyists, would probably be less willing to pay extra. Sure, we all want something for nothing, but it is unrealistic to expect to pay $50 for a powerful and complex software like A5.

The more A5 support out there the better, and manuels & books are a big part of that.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I agree with most of the previous entries but would like to add 2 things:

(1) Indexing - an excellent suggestion but I would go further to add 'cross-referencing' in the index. For example, the File.remove() command should also be referenced under Delete and Erase. One of the basic problems with indexes is that, in many cases, you don't know the exact term that you are looking for - if it's there but you can't find it, it won't do you any good. (I know, this is a big job - but you asked!)

Proper keywords and links in a good help file would solve this issue. I would be satisfied with a good help file because I would use that more than the manual.

(2) Database Basics! One of my great frustrations is getting a new customer that has developed their own database and ignored all common rules of database design thus creating a major mess which they expect to be cleaned up with the press of the "Magic" button on my computer. EX: I recently acquired a new customer who's current database has all their payment dates, amounts, credit card approval numbers, and explanatory notes in the one memo field!!!

In A5v1 there was a section about Database Basics. This was only 2-3 pages and I would like to see it improved but at least it was a good start. More info about good database design such as choosing fields, organizing data (what to put in the 'main' db vs. child db and how to organize sets), location of database files (not with the A5 executable!), and even some backup comments would be very helpful for many beginners. (Assuming they'll read it!)

One last question - How many years to you have to finish this book?

Comment

Cal -
                    I think you just nailed it for me - the tremendous value of the invoice system I built in dBaseIII was the author had an excellent database design. And he EXPLAINED it - WHY you split data into the tables, what options you had. Then I could take it from there, and make it work in my particular circumstances.

And this is where Alpha Five is NOT visual basic, delphi etc - it makes it's power available to the end user to customize without particularly difficult code. Build on this!

The fact is database normalisation is not an exact science - you need knowledge of the business at hand as much as you do computer science. The end user will often have a better grasp of the business at hand, and having talked to a couple of contractors who have had software developed they have fired the programmer for simply not listening. The programmer was telling the user how to run his business, rather than processing information in the manner the business needed.

This is where a few powerful templates with good explanations would turn willing computer savvy business people into power users. Explanations of why a drop box is used here, a table lookup there, an index should be created for this purpose, a temporary table with certain particular fields can accomplish this report which is so helpful...Once the user gets the idea they will will throw off the training wheels and pretty soon be riding with no hands.

And it should not be one book. No one will write it, read it or carry it home. Except Steve Workings in his big truck, but then, he could probably write it if he only had the time...

Explained application templates are needed for accounting, invoicing, inventory, scheduling, appointments, time keeping, membership...the list could be quite large. The author needs to have a good knowledge of both database development and the business at hand and be able to write about it. This is why they should get some bucks. And then others can hire them to make their customizations REALLY work and make the BIG bucks!

As well we need some books that explain how to use ActiveX, DLL's, ODBC, and interface with data from other applications and formats as I believe Alpha Five can begin front ending some other software more suited to particular purposes - Alpha Five isn't the only software the world will ever need. But it is an incredible front end.

Steve

PS the lack of indexing is why I use the pdf file - it's searchable.

Comment

The oldtimers I have talked to said Selwin wrote the manual everybody braggs so much about, and hope he writes the new one.

Yes - at least one fat chapter on networking, and one on how to use ActiveX, DLL's, ODBC, and interface with data from other applications and formats.

In all cases, the more examples the better

I personally prefer Word format � find it much easier to work with, search on, etc.
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

"PS the lack of indexing is why I use the pdf file - it's searchable."

Lordy, you must be patient. Try finding the parameters/syntax of the previous function by searching. First thought is "previous", no several hundred matches. Maybe previous(), no, all I get is fetch_previous().

You can get there eventually with "previous(" or "previous function".

Maybe what's left of my brain works in a non-standard manner.

That said I do prefer the .pdf format as it can be updated and corrected more easily.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

It seems to me there ought to be 4 books.

1 - A 'How To' Guide showing the user how to use the 'built-in' tools to manage his or her information on a single work station. This would cover only those 'interface' tools that are available 'on the surface' or 'by default'. i.e. the built-in buttons, tools, and icons.

2 - A 'How To' Guide for users who are building database solutions that others will use, in a networked environment. This would include: Installation and setup issues on a LAN; How to use InstallMaker; How to use Xbasic to drive the database engine and how to pass information between forms. This would cover all of the 'interface' tools that permit one to work behind the scenes, or to customize the visual interface presented to the end user.

3 - A complete reference for all Xbasic command statements, functions, (and possibly higher order methods and add-ins).

4 - A 'What's New' in vers. 5.5 (Which seems to be largely completed...)

-- tom

Comment

Hi,

Here! Here! Number 2: Database Basics... Right on! Yowser; ain't it the truth. Amen.

This from one who runs a dirty diaper service for data...

Regards,

Geoff Hollander

Comment

Cal
                              It took me awhile to find my anykey, where is my magic key. I really need that one

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X