Alpha Video Training

Thread: Zero Values

Real Name
    Thomas Holt

Default Zero Values

Hello All,

This is confusing the life out of me, so please bear with me if the question is a bit muddled.
    I have a script running off a button on a tabbed subform, the script declares shared variables, places form level values into these variables and then calls some subscripts. The objective is to perform calculations in the subscripts and then place the values into the table on the last tab on the form.
    The problem is that the first time through the script the field values(from the form) do not appear to be populating the shared variables, so ZERO is the values returned after the calculations.
    Second time or subsequent times through the script there is no problem at all. The problem only occurs when going into the form and starting a new session(?) and running the script for the first time.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this ?
    Any ideas as to why this may be happening and how to cure will as always be greatly appreciated.
    I hope the above makes at least some sense.

Many Thanks
    Cheers
    Tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default RE: Zero Values

Hi Tom:

This sounds vaguely similar to something that happened to me a couple of months back ... Does the script run any queries?

I had a button that would fail the first time it ran but would always work on subsequent attempts.

It turned out that a remaining value of query.order from a higher level was causing the problem. I needed to first query.order="", query.options="", query.filter=""
    and that took care of it.

Finian

Real Name
    Thomas Holt

Default RE: Zero Values

Hello Finnian,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately I think it is time for some humble pie, I think I've been looking so long at the problem I tried to make it something it wasn't.

The problem was that the zero values were in discount fields (or so I assumed), these discounts are worked out by calulated them against a sub_total values. I narrowed in on the discount fields as the problem, however I had not summed all the values needed by the sub_total field before applying the discounts. Therefore I was calculating the discounts against a zero value and therefore producing zero results. The shared sub_total variable was calculated from a script lower down the calling order, so the second time I ran the script it had picked up the sub_total values and the results were as required.
    All I needed to do was populate the sub_total variable befor calling the discount script.

Oh well a good few hours down the drain but another lesson learnt.

Thanks again for the response Finnian, and a Happy New Year to all the people out here in APLHALAND.

Cheers
    Tom