Alpha Video Training

Thread: Voice Recognition Interface

Real Name
    Sam Wagoner

Default Voice Recognition Interface

Has anyone interfaced Voice Recognition Software to Alpha5? I've got mechanics who can't type or spell. Any information would be appreciated....

Jeff Moses

Default RE: Voice Recognition Interface

Sam, We have used Voice Recognition in some of our earlier apps. In our apps the Voice Recognition was memory resident and linked directly to the operating system. This meant that the program that recognized audio commands was programmed to carry out that command any time or any where that it received it, and in what ever program happened to be open at the time. I don't know what software you are using but you may have to dedicate the Voice Recognition function strictly your A5 app to use it effectively.
    Jeff

Real Name
    Sam Wagoner

Jeff,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have a feeling that the customer is after the ability for the mechanics to dictate their repairs instead of them trying to type them out or write them for someone else to update a repair order. Makes sense if you have ever seen a mechanics handwriting or watched them use a keyboard.

My guess is that a voice recognition program will have to create a ascii file and then import that file into a memo field. Anyway, that's my initial approach.

Thanks again, Jeff...

Real Name
    John Hertzler

Sam, I just got a new toy for Christmas -- Dragon Naturally Speaking 5 (Preferred Addition). I have just set up a quick test database and found that I could dictate to the individual fields. I tested memo, character, number, logical, and Rich text memo fields. Dragon Naturally Speaking 5 can be used to dictate directly into A 5 for the fields tested. The delay was much greater than for other programs such as word processors. The delay was long enough that I would judge it not to be acceptable with my equipment. I'm running a Pentium 700 with 128 RAM. Some of the new super machines might get you in the ballpark without going outside of the program but as you know they are expensive. Probably within a year or so it this will most likely be possible, as costs of horsepower continues to go down.

Real Name
    Bob Houle

Alpha Five has built-in 'Speed Typing'.

You might set something up that uses this feature to help them get thier work accomplished.

eg: rwp "Replaced the water pump"

You could build "groups" of these depending on what button was pushed...
    eg: RepairButton
    ReplaceButton
    FreeWorkButton

HTH,
    --Bob

Real Name
    Sam Wagoner

Hi Gang,

Thanks for your replies as always. You all have been most helpful.

John, We did recently purchase Naturally Speaking Preferred 5.0, and I will take your suggestion and run a test, probably a memo field.

Bob, we do use your speed typing approach with something like OLF for Oil, Lube, Filter.

Appreciate your help. This forum is outstanding.

Sam