Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha Five Developer's Conference

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Default Alpha Five Developer's Conference

Alpha Five Conference

I am extremely grateful to Ira Perlow for organizing the Alpha Five Developer's Conference this past weekend. Not only did Ira organize a flawless conference, but he also gave a very interesting talk, demonstrating his expert knowledge of Alpha Five.

I would also like to express my thanks to the other speakers, all of whom made very interesting presentations.

I think that I speak for all of the Alpha Software team members who were present at the conference when I say that we thrilled to be there.

It was very inspirational to us to see the level of enthusiasim and commitment among the attendees.

We certainly all came away from the conference even more determined to make Alpha Five as good as we possibly can.

For those people who were not at the conference, and are interested in finding out more about what new features are anticipated for the up-comming (late March, early 2nd quarter 2001) V5 release, I am attaching a zip file that contains a summary (well actually its about 100 pages) of V5's new features.

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Default RE: Alpha Five Developer's Conference

To All,

Before I get bombarded with 8000 e-mails, I wanted to post some info on the conference.

Thanks to all the attendees for coming, the speakers for their wonderful talks and flexibility and a special thanks to Selwyn & Richard Rabins for making sure that Alpha Software was present at the conference (a mere 1 mile from their Burlington, Massachusetts office). And the scheduled and extended on-the-fly demos of A5V5 by Selwyn were just incredible!

Only a few technical problems occurred and I don't believe there was even 1 crash of Windows during the talks that required a reboot. Bet Bill G. can't beat that on his demos!

We had 77 attendees, 8 speakers (including Selwyn & Richard Rabins), 1 non-speaker worksession leader (Jim Chapman) and 5 additional Alpha personnel for a total of 90 people.

There was 1 person from Australia, 3 from the United Kingdom, 4 from Canada and the rest from the United States of America (still undecided on who will lead the country - Probably used an Access database instead of Alpha :?).

Many have expressed interest in conference T-shirts. I will announce this as soon as details are worked out and post it on the conference's web site at

Alpha Five Developer's Conference Web site

It will be strictly done by pre-order only and one time only. Watch for announcements here.

I will also have a post-conference survey as well, which I hope many will fill out.

Now about the conference notes and recordings.
    1. The video tapes will not be generally available. It takes too much time and cost for duplication. And editing them is a major chore as well.

2. The entire conference (for the most part) was recorded using a program that captures the screen and audio of the computer. It will take many hours to edit the 15 or more hours of conference. There may be technical problems with the recordings that might make it useless (doubtful but possible-Murphy's Law holds ultimate power here). But, assuming all of that can be done, it should fit on 1 or 2 CD-ROMs. It will also include all notes that can be legally included, as well as sample databases, and maybe a few other surprises. The cost will probably be between $100 and $200 dollars. I would not expect this disk to be available any earlier than after January 1st, 2001 (or for those overseas, 01 January 2001).

And a final special thanks to Selwyn for the look ahead, Alpha Software for the wonderful keychains that all my better half for all of the conference paper collating and registration operations, and for my family who helped out watching the equipment and attendees laptops while we were eating at the conference and watching my son so I could focus on the conference.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    csda@mediaone.net

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Some words were left out of the last paragraph, so, 1 more try.....

And a final special thanks to

1. Selwyn & Richard Rabins for the look ahead at the next versions,
    2. Alpha Software for the wonderful Alpha Software keychains that they provided for all conference participants and for the Alpha Software T-shirts provided for some of the door prizes,
    3. Steve Workings for a door prize donation of "Having Fun with Alpha Five" (Version 1) book,
    4. And my better half for all of the conference paper collating and registration operations,
    5. And for my family who helped out watching the equipment and attendees' laptops while we were eating at the conference and for watching my son so I could focus on the conference.

And an extra special thanks to the divine supreme being - whoever he, she or it might be - for not sending bad weather our way for the conference!

P.S. IF YOU HAVE PHOTOS OF THE CONFERENCE, SEND THEM TO ME AT csda@mediaone.net. I will share them with others in one place on the web and the CD-ROM.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    csda@mediaone.net

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Download
    Part 1 of What's New in Alpha Five V5
    Download
    Part2 of What's New in Alpha Five V5

Real Name
    Paul French

THANK YOU!

Real Name
    Sylvia Tobias

You couldn't have been nearly as excited as we were, Selwyn, at seeing you demonstrate the REMARKABLE new features in version 5. We were all saying, Wow!, Yes! and Thank you, thank you! to every feature you pointed out. There were even a few outbursts of applause. This program will have no equal for many years. For those of us who are developers, it means we can be extremely competitive in the marketplace. There will be virtually nothing we can't do with Alpha Five. For the other users it means being able to take their applications to the next level as well. This definitely removes any fears we might have had about the future of the company and this wonderful tool. Anyone who doesn't use it for their database program is a fool. We are extremely grateful to you and your development team for producing this product.

Sylvia

Real Name
    Sylvia Tobias

I would like to publicly thank you also, Ira. You did a great job in organizing the conference and insuring that everything ran smoothly. Please thank your charming wife also for all of her hard work. She remained calm and helpful throughout.

Sylvia

Denny Johnson

Hello,

Is this document readable in Wordpad? If not, what program is needed?

Thanks,
    Denny

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Denny,

Did you try it? If so what are the results? I would think it could be saved as a Word or WordPerfect format with the .doc or .wpd extension. WordPerfect also reads most other formats as I'm sure Word does as well.

kenn

Denny Johnson

Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding...

Most of it displayed using a QuickView program that reads many formats.
    Formatting was a little odd, but readable.

It sounds as though many useful features are coming. I only hope Alpha
    retains backward compatability - some of our office staff never quite forgave them for that fiasco called an "upgrade" a few years back. It was a complete
    rework of the product and orphaned many scripts that had 100s of hours
    invested in them.

Anyway, Best wishes for the New Year and New Version,
    Denny

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Thank you!

ken

Real Name
    Richard Drabik

I also had trouble reading the document at first with WordPad. We all seem to have forgotten that our A5 CD contains the Word 97 viewer for reading the manual, which of course reads these files also. Probably why Selwyn put this out as a Word document to begin with.

Bruce Fraser

Selwyn,

The links to the Zip files for "What's in version 5?" do not seem to be working.

I'm referring to your message at this address:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=4&id=31662&thread=31542#MSG31598

which has a link to this download URL:

ftp://ftp.alphasoftware.com/alpha_five/a5v403/what's%20new%20in%20V5-message_board_part1.zip

But clicking the download link only results in an error message.

Could it be that, with the delay in releasing ver 5, you're revamping the feature list?

If so, can I add another item to the wish list: being able to query both parent and child tables together.
    This was possible back in version 1, but not since then. There is some debate whether that version 1 capability was planned or serendipitious, but clearly it was possible (even see the version 1 User Guide for a screen shot of it, p. 16-13), and the absence of it in the current version is the reason why I sent mine back for a refund.

Thanks for your attention to this.

Yours truly,
    Bruce Fraser