Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five Developer's Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five Developer's Conference

Alpha Five Conference

I am extremely grateful to Ira Perlow for organizing the Alpha Five Developer's Conference this past weekend. Not only did Ira organize a flawless conference, but he also gave a very interesting talk, demonstrating his expert knowledge of Alpha Five.

I would also like to express my thanks to the other speakers, all of whom made very interesting presentations.

I think that I speak for all of the Alpha Software team members who were present at the conference when I say that we thrilled to be there.

It was very inspirational to us to see the level of enthusiasim and commitment among the attendees.

We certainly all came away from the conference even more determined to make Alpha Five as good as we possibly can.

For those people who were not at the conference, and are interested in finding out more about what new features are anticipated for the up-comming (late March, early 2nd quarter 2001) V5 release, I am attaching a zip file that contains a summary (well actually its about 100 pages) of V5's new features.

RE: Alpha Five Developer's Conference

To All,

Before I get bombarded with 8000 e-mails, I wanted to post some info on the conference.

Thanks to all the attendees for coming, the speakers for their wonderful talks and flexibility and a special thanks to Selwyn & Richard Rabins for making sure that Alpha Software was present at the conference (a mere 1 mile from their Burlington, Massachusetts office). And the scheduled and extended on-the-fly demos of A5V5 by Selwyn were just incredible!

Only a few technical problems occurred and I don't believe there was even 1 crash of Windows during the talks that required a reboot. Bet Bill G. can't beat that on his demos!

We had 77 attendees, 8 speakers (including Selwyn & Richard Rabins), 1 non-speaker worksession leader (Jim Chapman) and 5 additional Alpha personnel for a total of 90 people.

There was 1 person from Australia, 3 from the United Kingdom, 4 from Canada and the rest from the United States of America (still undecided on who will lead the country - Probably used an Access database instead of Alpha :?).

Many have expressed interest in conference T-shirts. I will announce this as soon as details are worked out and post it on the conference's web site at

Alpha Five Developer's Conference Web site

It will be strictly done by pre-order only and one time only. Watch for announcements here.

I will also have a post-conference survey as well, which I hope many will fill out.

Now about the conference notes and recordings.
    1. The video tapes will not be generally available. It takes too much time and cost for duplication. And editing them is a major chore as well.

2. The entire conference (for the most part) was recorded using a program that captures the screen and audio of the computer. It will take many hours to edit the 15 or more hours of conference. There may be technical problems with the recordings that might make it useless (doubtful but possible-Murphy's Law holds ultimate power here). But, assuming all of that can be done, it should fit on 1 or 2 CD-ROMs. It will also include all notes that can be legally included, as well as sample databases, and maybe a few other surprises. The cost will probably be between $100 and $200 dollars. I would not expect this disk to be available any earlier than after January 1st, 2001 (or for those overseas, 01 January 2001).

And a final special thanks to Selwyn for the look ahead, Alpha Software for the wonderful keychains that all my better half for all of the conference paper collating and registration operations, and for my family who helped out watching the equipment and attendees laptops while we were eating at the conference and watching my son so I could focus on the conference.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    [email protected]
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Some words were left out of the last paragraph, so, 1 more try.....

And a final special thanks to

1. Selwyn & Richard Rabins for the look ahead at the next versions,
      2. Alpha Software for the wonderful Alpha Software keychains that they provided for all conference participants and for the Alpha Software T-shirts provided for some of the door prizes,
      3. Steve Workings for a door prize donation of "Having Fun with Alpha Five" (Version 1) book,
      4. And my better half for all of the conference paper collating and registration operations,
      5. And for my family who helped out watching the equipment and attendees' laptops while we were eating at the conference and for watching my son so I could focus on the conference.

And an extra special thanks to the divine supreme being - whoever he, she or it might be - for not sending bad weather our way for the conference!

P.S. IF YOU HAVE PHOTOS OF THE CONFERENCE, SEND THEM TO ME AT [email protected]. I will share them with others in one place on the web and the CD-ROM.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design & Associates
      [email protected]
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Download
        Part 1 of What's New in Alpha Five V5
        Download
        Part2 of What's New in Alpha Five V5

Comment

THANK YOU!

Comment

You couldn't have been nearly as excited as we were, Selwyn, at seeing you demonstrate the REMARKABLE new features in version 5. We were all saying, Wow!, Yes! and Thank you, thank you! to every feature you pointed out. There were even a few outbursts of applause. This program will have no equal for many years. For those of us who are developers, it means we can be extremely competitive in the marketplace. There will be virtually nothing we can't do with Alpha Five. For the other users it means being able to take their applications to the next level as well. This definitely removes any fears we might have had about the future of the company and this wonderful tool. Anyone who doesn't use it for their database program is a fool. We are extremely grateful to you and your development team for producing this product.

Sylvia

Comment

I would like to publicly thank you also, Ira. You did a great job in organizing the conference and insuring that everything ran smoothly. Please thank your charming wife also for all of her hard work. She remained calm and helpful throughout.

Sylvia

Comment

Hello,

Is this document readable in Wordpad? If not, what program is needed?

Thanks,
                Denny

Comment

Denny,

Did you try it? If so what are the results? I would think it could be saved as a Word or WordPerfect format with the .doc or .wpd extension. WordPerfect also reads most other formats as I'm sure Word does as well.

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken,

Thanks for responding...

Most of it displayed using a QuickView program that reads many formats.
                    Formatting was a little odd, but readable.

It sounds as though many useful features are coming. I only hope Alpha
                    retains backward compatability - some of our office staff never quite forgave them for that fiasco called an "upgrade" a few years back. It was a complete
                    rework of the product and orphaned many scripts that had 100s of hours
                    invested in them.

Anyway, Best wishes for the New Year and New Version,
                    Denny

Comment

Thank you!

ken
                      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I also had trouble reading the document at first with WordPad. We all seem to have forgotten that our A5 CD contains the Word 97 viewer for reading the manual, which of course reads these files also. Probably why Selwyn put this out as a Word document to begin with.

Comment

Selwyn,

The links to the Zip files for "What's in version 5?" do not seem to be working.

I'm referring to your message at this address:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=4&id=31662&thread=31542#MSG31598

which has a link to this download URL:

ftp://ftp.alphasoftware.com/alpha_five/a5v403/what's%20new%20in%20V5-message_board_part1.zip

But clicking the download link only results in an error message.

Could it be that, with the delay in releasing ver 5, you're revamping the feature list?

If so, can I add another item to the wish list: being able to query both parent and child tables together.
                          This was possible back in version 1, but not since then. There is some debate whether that version 1 capability was planned or serendipitious, but clearly it was possible (even see the version 1 User Guide for a screen shot of it, p. 16-13), and the absence of it in the current version is the reason why I sent mine back for a refund.

Thanks for your attention to this.

Yours truly,
                          Bruce Fraser

Comment

Working...
                          X