Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Missing Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Records

Help! I've been having some funny things going on with a table and I'm wondering if anybody knows what might be happening. The table is the parent table of a set and a couple of missing records have been discovered.

In the first case, I verified that the missing record had not been deleted nor overwritten (an old copy of the table showed the record number location of the record-it was the eighth record created of about a thousand and now the sixth and seventh record follow each other and the eighth is just not there). I'm sure the table was not packed because records that had been deleted earlier were still in the table. This one record, all of a sudden, just disappeared. Reindexing didn't help.

Today, another record turned up missing after the table's indexes were reindexed. But it wasn't just gone; instead, in its place, was an exact duplicate of the next record in the table (although the file number field in the record must be unique).

I'm very concerned about the stability of the data in a table where records just seem to disappear. Anybody have any idea what might be going on or experience anything like this themselves? Thanks.

RE: Missing Records

Kevin, when checking on things like this be sure to work with the default form or the default browse for your table. This will rule out glitches that may be associated with your own forms, thereby narrowing the range of possible errors.

Also, it may be helpful if you tell us a bit more about your indexes. Are any of them 'filtered indexes' by any chance?

How about your data entry form. Is it based on the set, and does it include a tabbed subform for the child table(s)?

Is data entry occurring over a network, or are you experiencing this problem on a single stand-alone workstation?

Last thought, how current is your version of Alpha Five? The latest official patch from the company is build 230 for vers. 4.03 I believe.

-- tom

Comment

Tom, thanks for helping again. For this problem, I have been working exclusively with the default browse, so that parts taken care of, at least.

As to your other questions:

I know of the problem of using filtered indexes, and, yes I do have some filtered indexes, which I haven't replaced yet with an alternate strategy. Basically, the indexes are on major fields (file number, last name+first name, opened date, but there is also a group of indexes on some of the same fields that filters out closed files; in addition, another couple of indexes orders the table in file number order, but uses the expression: IF(LEFT(FILE_NO,2)>="90","19"+FILE_NO,"20"+FILE_NO) to order the table chronologically taking into account Y2K since the first two characters of the file number begin with the last two digits of the year the file was opened followed by a hyphen and incremental numbering.

Data entry is indeed done on a tabbed subform based on a set. The eight tabs include: 1) parent table data re the file; 2) data about insured in one-to-one linked table; 3) data about claimants in one-to-many child table; 4) additional parent data; 5) a browse list of a one-to-many child table re: time; 6) a browse list of a one-to-many child table re: AR; 7) a parent memo field for notes; 8) buttons for printing reports. So it's a pretty complex set (although data entry is not done for time or AR on this form--those tabs are provided just for review purposes). Hope it's not too much.

The data entry is occurring over a Novell network. I had a network technician test the network this week for any possible issues and he found so (serious) problems.

I'm not on-site right now, but I'm pretty sure I've got them up to build 230. I'll check tomorrow though.

Let me know if there's anything else that would help. Thanks.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin, I think you're dealing with a pretty complex form, with lots and lots of indexes. If there are ways to simplify things I would think it might help with stability and reliability. Dr. Wayne published an article called 'Simplifying your Application' or something close to that, which may help give you some ideas.

In my own work I force myself to use the absolute fewest indexes possible. Only those needed to navigate through the table or set during data entry, if possible. As you know each index file must be kept current as data entry occurs in any of your tables, from any workstation on the network. If the index is needed only at report time, I don't build one. I use queries instead. Yes, there's a bit of a delay while the query is built, and this delay happens each and every time, but I find, on balance, it works better. This may be different in other circumstances, especially on larger databases. Most of mine have fewer than 30,000 records in them.

Complexity is also something I try to avoid in the index definitions. My motto is keep it simple, keep it simple, keep it simple.

I swore off tabbed subforms for data entry a long time ago. Will use them occasionally for navigation, or for reference, but not for data entry. I never felt comfortable that I understood what was going on well enough to be able to anticipate all the ways the user might inadvertently save a record, by accidentally tabbing somewhere else... or by pushing a save record button expecting a child record to be saved, and wind up saving a parent record instead. It can probably be done, and you're probably doing it fine, but I don't even attempt it. This is something I am hoping will be covered in depth at the conference in December, by the way.

The duplicate record is especially troublesome. Others have reported similar things. You might search the message threads for 'duplicate record'. My own guess is that it's one of two things. It might be possible in some instances for a user to push a 'enter new record' button twice in quick succession. This possibility can be nipped in the bud if the button script disables the button, does its work, and then enables the button on the way out. The other guess is that the work station may get 'out of synch' with the server over the network connection. Maybe the network isn't fast enough or something, causing a record to be saved twice, perhaps when the network fails to acknowledge a sent packet, so the workstation sends again. Something like that, maybe...

I realize my ramblings haven't offered anything specific (and a lot of personal opinion!), and for that I apologize. Hopefully you'll see that they need a newer patch and all will be well. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck!

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Don't apologize for your "ramblings." It's all very informative to me. I appreciate your help, as always.
          Thanks.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X