Alpha Video Training

Thread: Memo field - Changing set relation

Real Name
    Dan Maas

Default Memo field - Changing set relation

I have a material invoiceing program that consists of 4 databases as follows:
    1. Customer File
    2. Job File
    3. Invoice Header File
    4. Invoice line items file

These are all related one after the other in a one to many relation. Each customer can have multiple jobs, each job can have multiple invoices, and of course each invoice can have multiple items. Real simple so far.

These are on a tabbed form with embedded browses. The first tab has three browses to pick the customer, job, and invoice that you wish to work on. Then on the second tab is the invoice line items browse where you can add line items to the chosen invoice. Works great. I put a button on the invoice detail screen to print the current invoice.

Then I thought it would be helpfull to add a memo field to hold a description of the work performed so it would print on the invoice also. I added it to the invoice header database as there would only be the one description per invoice and added a field on the form where it can be edited. Now the trouble starts.

Anytime there are multiple jobs for a given customer, when notes are added to the memo field, that invoice is reassigned (the link field of the set definition is reassigned) to the first job for that customer which of course is incorrect.

Why does editing the memo field change the linking field information?? I can edit any other field on the invoice header and it makes no difference. I have noticed that if I edit the memo field with the memo field editor that works OK but not if I edit in the display field. Any ideas??

I've tried compacting the database, packing the files, reindexing, etc. but nothing seems to help. I could send the stuff if someone thinks they could figure it out??

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default RE: Memo field - Changing set relation

There have been multiple postings regarding memo fields and the problems that some have encountered when using them. Try changing your memo field to a character field of specific length, say 40 characters, and see if you experience the same problem.

If the problem goes away, hope that Alpha 5 v5 is more reliable in regards to memo fields. Mayhap they will go the way of ask user variables, available but not supported.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Dan:

Just dropping a field from the invoice header table on to the tab does not provide the necessary synchronization to the correct record in a one-to-many relationship with the Customer table. While the child field is "raw" on the tab I would expect that the memo would be added to the first child record. In general, only fields from the parent table should be added directly to a tabbed subform; fields from child tables should be either in browses or sub-forms.

You could:
    1. Add the memo field to the browse
    2. Add a subform to the tab which contains only the memo field
    3. Drop the memo field from the invoice header table and create a new table with 2 fields; a link field based on the invoice number and the memo field, then add this table to the set in a one-to-one link to the invoice header table then add a subform based on the new child table to the tabbed sub-form.

I'd say that 3 is the best solution. Some people use memo fields and never have a problem. This way, though, if a problem should arise, it won't affect the header or details tables. When a memo field goes bad in one of your main transaction tables ... well you don't want to know.

Finian

Real Name
    Dan Maas

You Wrote:
    Try changing your memo field to a character field of specific length, say 40 characters, and see if you experience the same problem.

No, that works fine, although then I don't have the dynamic sizing of a memo field. These descriptions vary from a few words to a half page or more and if I add multiple fixed length comment fields then formatting would also be a problem during print.

I hope they are doing something with the memo fields to make them useable. I've done a search on them in the forum and they seem to be more trouble than there worth. Other database programs use them and there just isn't any way to do this cleanly without them.

I am still trying to find a work around. I'm never sure if my problem is me or if there's a quirk in the Alpha Code. A person can burn up lots of tme on these things.

Sign me off as FRUSTRATED!!

Real Name
    Dan Maas

Thanks Finian,

I tried your third recomendation and it works great. I don't know that I understand why it didn't work the other way but, hey, if it works I'll move on.

I just need to revamp my report now which should be no problem and then we're off and running!

Thanks Again