Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

control panel hide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

control panel hide

Hi Forum,

How does one get access to the control panel after it has been hidden?

Thank you in advance,
    ED

RE: control panel hide

A search of this forum under "controlpanel" produced relevant answers.

This was the web site link http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=4&id=30046&thread=30041

Comment

Ed:

If you've hidden the thing in an autoexec.scp - don't call that script when you open A5. Just click the A5 icon in Windows Explorer.

If you're hiding it in your application. Open the program as above and put a button on the your Menu or on one of the forms and make it's action 'controlpanel.show()'

here's a script I use on a hotspot to toggle it off and on...
      ===========================
      if var->Cpshow="Y" then
      controlpanel.show()
      Cpshow="N"
      trace.writeln(Cpshow)
      spot.refresh()
      else
      if var->Cpshow="N"
      controlpanel.hide()
      Cpshow="Y"
      trace.writeln(Cpshow)
      spot.refresh()
      end if
      end if
      end
      ==========================
      I have a calculated field called 'spot' to display nothing when controlpanel is hidden and an 'O' when it's visible.
      The toggle, simply reads the 'spot' value, set at opening and turns control panel off if it's on and on if it's off.

You have to refresh the 'spot' field each time to update the screen.

Ken the Newbie

Comment

Hi ken,

I have hidden it in the startup menu. But if I put a button on one of the forms, then the user can click it and have access to the control panel which i don't want.

Thank you,
        ED

Comment

Hi Ken,

I thought I had the solution for this problem. I created a button on my startup form with controlpanel.show() as the action basic command. Then did not put a frame around it, made it's background and font the same color as that of the form background. Obviously it does not show on the form. Only I know where it is. My problem: it gives me the error message of 'missing or invalid keyword'. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance,
          ED

Comment

I've done the same thing on an application - created a button that has no border and is same color as background, used the text "version x.x" and password protected the button. Now even if someone accidentally clicks on it, he/she can't get to the controlpanel unless they guess the password!

Comment

To Bob H:

Great Idea! hadn't thought of it.I'll probably use it on the next app. CLEVER

Ed:

Every time I get that 'invalid keyword' dealie, its because something is wrong in the syntax - I look and look and then, smashing my palm to my head I say "DUH"! when I finally SEE it.

In this instance I'd look to see if you have a comma between the 'controlpanel' and 'show()'; have it typed 'control panel.show(); or contrlpanel.show(); or controlpanel.show)( --- or anything equally STUPID as I do.

If this is in a number of other successive commands, copy them all and paste them to the 'interactive' tabbed panel and place the cursor at the end of each line, one at a time, and with the cursor in place hit [enter]. The error message will display on the bad line and you can really examine it!

Been there - done that -- Many Many times.

Ken the Newbie

Comment

Hi Guys,
                Thank you all for responding. I will check my typos immediately.

ED

Comment

Hi Ken,

U hit the nail on the head, I hit the comma by mistake instead of the decimal point. I corrected it and it is terrific. Now at will I can address the control panel, or lock it out for the user.

Thanks again,
                  ED

Comment

I have always been on the lookout for the person who designed the "qwerty" keyboard. I can understand the reasoning but putting the "O" and the "0" next to each other and the "," and the "." next to each others have caused many a computer programmer to consider suicide or political office as an outlet for frustration

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Hi Bob,

You are my kind of man, I couldn't agree more. I also find that the most used characters (example the e,s,r,l) should be on the home row. It is ludicrous for the ; and the ' to be on the home row. Who is the idiotic moron that decided differently?

Befuddled,
                      ED

Comment

Hi Bob,

You are my kind of man, I couldn't agree more. I also find that the most used characters (example the e,s,r,l) should be on the home row. It is ludicrous for the ; and the ' to be on the home row. Who is the idiotic moron that decided differently?

Befuddled,
                        ED

Comment

Tid Bit of info.

In the old days of keys on a typewriter the people were getting so good at typing and the punch keys were jamming up. The "Qwerty" keyboard was laid out to be as slow as possible so the punch keys would not jam.

Comment

Edward -

The "moron" was Cristopher Latham Sholes, who designed and
                            patented the typewriter in 1868. As to the QWERTY layout,
                            the following is extracted from the Journal of Law & Economics vol. XXXIII (April 1990)

THE FABLE OF THE KEYS*
                            S. J. LIEBOWITZ and STEPHEN E. MARGOLIS

" the development and persistence of the current standard keyboard, known as the Universal. or Qwerty, keyboard.
                            The key features of that story are as follows. The operative patent for the typewriter was awarded in 1868 to Christopher Latham Sholes, who continued to develop the machine for several years. Among the problems that Sholes and his associates addressed was the jamming of the type bars when certain combinations of keys were struck in very close succession. As a partial solution to this problem, Sholes arranged his keyboard so that the keys most likely to be struck in close succession were approaching the type point from opposite sides of the machine. Since Qwerty was designed to accomplish this now obsolete mechanical requirement, maximizing speed was not an explicit objective. Some authors even claim that the keyboard is actually configured to minimize speed since decreasing speed would have been one way to avoid the jamming of the typewriter. At the time, however, a two-finger hunt-and-peck method was contemplated, so the keyboard speed envisioned was quite different from touch-typing speeds. "

- and we've been struggling with it ever since !!!

Lowell :)

Comment

A M E N ! !

Comment

Working...
                              X