Alpha Video Training

Thread: Synchronize w/ 2nd form

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Default Synchronize w/ 2nd form

I don't find a code snippet for this simple case since I am usually going between diffreent tables. I need code on a button to open a 2nd form from the current table, and synchronize to the record on the current form.

This is easy if I code in the table name, but I want it generic, without a hard coded reference to a table name. Can't use Query() generated by the button genie since all records must show. #2 is where I need help
    1. get form pointer for new form that is loaded.
    2. fetch_goto() the recno that is same as current form

the command would be
    f:Tables:my_table_name.fetch_goto(my_var)

But I don't want to hard code "my_table_name". Working with xbasic explorer,I have not come up with the right syntax that generalizes this command. It will only be used on tables, not sets, so there will be only 1 table for the form.

Bill.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Synchronize w/ 2nd form

Bill, have you considered adding the other fields to your present form and hiding them while working with the first 'view'... then hiding the first group of fields and showing the second, at the press of a button when you want the 'view' to change. This would save opening a second instance of your table and you wouldn't need to synchronize two forms.

While not well known it's easy to position fields right on top of each other. Hide one, show two. Then hide two, show one.

-- tom

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Problem solved. Use
    f:Tables.child(1).fetch_goto(vRecnum)

Bill.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Tom,

This a huge table (800 fields), so maintainability in separate forms is very important.

Bill.

Real Name
    Ira J Perlow

Bill,

That's probably the wrong technique to use. The child(1)is the last link of a table. If anything, you want to reference from the 1st table (the parent) which is the last child(n) where n can be gotten from the children() method. So it would be something like child(children()-constant). But assuming you always want that table independent of where it is in the parent, then easiest way is to create an object like (I haven't checked the syntax)

formname=table.current().name_get()
    tbl=obj(formname+":Tables:"+my_table_name)
    tbl.fetch_goto(my_var)

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    csda@mediaone.net

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Ira,

I had never investigated to see that the parent was always in the child(children()) position. That is good info. This technique will be for multiple forms on the same flat table, so children()=1. To always apply to the parent table if it were a set, command could be
    f:Tables.child(children()).fetch_goto(vRecno).

The reason I wanted to do it this way is that code does not change when it is used for dofferent forms/tables (as long as it is parent). So you can use button genie to open the form and paste in the standard synchronization code which does not need to know a table or form name.

If the 2nd form is on a _different_ table, then a query technique must be used. That is what I normally do, and it needs to be customized for each situation. I far prefer having standard code I can paste in.

Bill.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Bill,

when you have the same record viewed on different forms, presumably, with an 800 field record, so that you could give the user access to different groups of fields depending on what they are doing, and the user is changing data on the same record on these different forms, - when the user leaves, and I guess closes a form, to go to another one, do you exit the form without "saving the record", or does it make any difference - what I'm wondering is how you can do this. I really like the idea - since a lot of editing I do is on a single table.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

A record can have only one data entry processing going against it at a time. If another form, script, etc. tries to change the record, it is told the record is locked. So having multiple forms does not change that restriction.

In my case, data entry is done on one form (with 15 tabs) and other forms display the data with different calculations, groupings, etc.

Bill.