Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Not able to use in Terminal Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not able to use in Terminal Services

I was informed by Tech Support that Alpha5 (any version) will not run on WinNT Terminal Service Clients (Citrix Metaframe included) because your software is only able to run on separate PC's. (Amongst other things, it has to do with edits to the Registry which A5 does).

Has anyone found a way around registry edit problems? If not, is Alpha Software looking into changing the software to work with TS?

Otherwise, goodby Alpha (sigh). Hello Access.

RE: Not able to use in Terminal Services

Well that certainly comes as a surprise to me since we are running multiple clients on Citrix over NT Terminal Server and Windows 2000 server.

We have never had a single problem with A5 V3 through A5 V4.03 Build 224 (and some with Build 230).

I can't imagine where that information came from. It's never been published previously by Alpha in any medium of which I am aware.

Finian
    Finian

Comment

I was concerned about this misinformation, so I sent an e-mail to Alpha's President Selwyn Rabins. Here's his response:

"i don't use citrix myself, but i know that a lot of people do. i have never heard of any problems in this regard before.

we certainly have NO INTENTION of trying to limit a5's use on citrix.

we do write information to the registry when the user is using a5. i would imagine that access does too.

please feel free to post my response."

Finian
      Finian

Comment

I am glad to here this and thank you for your reply.

Now then! I need some "knowledgeable" help from Alpha on making this work, first on basic Windows Terminal Client services and then perhaps on Citrix.

Since I struck out on the first try with Alpha's Tech Support, is there someone else at Alpha I can talk with us about this type of implementation?

Comment

I installed the runtime version on the server with the applications as a subfolder in a5runtime folder. I then use terminal conection manager to create pathe and shortcut to the application on the server. Fast easy and no problems that are not directly related to the human species

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Here's what I have found out through testing.

I installed A5 Runtime on our Win2000 server (with Terminal services enabled) using the required "Installation mode" for setting up the program for multi users (i.e. install through Add/Remove Programs). The issue I am having it that when I run Alpha on the clients I get the following message:

"Failed to update system registry. Please try using Regedit."

From there other messages appear, but the bottom line is I can't run the app. Some more facts about the setup are this; The TS Client Users login as Domain users (not local users). When I add these domain users to the local Administrators Group, then A5 works. But, of course, having them on the server as Administrators is a bad thing! So it would appear that the issue is "rights" to update the registry. I'll have to play around with that and see if I can grant then rights to update the Reg. without compromising system security. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again,

Bill S.

Comment

Did you connect the terminals (clients) through the connection manager on each terminal. On a LAN the clients can still try to connect to the terminal server as though the server is a file manager but you would need to install the runtime on each client.

i am not familiar with NT2000 I use nt4.01 service pack 4

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Yes we did. In fact, the client I am testing right now is a thin client PC, so it is only capable of connecting as at terminal client. (The result is that same on a PC using the TClient software with a session setup through Connection Manager).

Again, the key seems to be the fact that the client can not write to the registry unless they have local Administrative rights on the Terminal Server, so I'm running a number of tests to see what Security Local Security setting need to be assigned to the client account (or group) so that they can run A5 without giving them full Admin rights.

Bill S.

ROBERT SULLIVAN wrote:
                -------------------------------
                Did you connect the terminals (clients) through the connection manager on each terminal. On a LAN the clients can still try to connect to the terminal server as though the server is a file manager but you would need to install the runtime on each client.

i am not familiar with NT2000 I use nt4.01 service pack 4

Bob Sullivan

Comment

These kinds of issues really have nothing to do with Alpha and everything to do with the complexity of administering NT Terminal Server, Windows 2000 Server and Citrix.

I understand that Citrix at one time would not sell the Metaframe product to a company unless someone in the company (who, if I'm not mistaken, needed to be certified in NT) submitted to a training/certification process. I don't now if this is still the case.

Finian
                  Finian

Comment

True on the complexities, but Citrix had no such stipulation when I talked with them. They only suggest that you work through a certified VAR. Right now we are only working with MS Terminal Services, which are a less robust version shall we say than Citrix MF.

In any case, Alpha would be wise to circulate some information to their Tech Staff that their product does run on Terminal Server and Citrix, but that they don't offer support for TS setups and that such users should seek out support from MS and Citrix. That would seem reasonable rather than telling me that it could not done.

Right now, I have isolated the Registry changes required by Alpha and will make the necessary Security allowances for this to happen for standard Terminal users with error. We otherwise have A5 running on a test Term Server.

Thanks for your input.

Bill S.

Finian Lennon wrote:
                    -------------------------------
                    These kinds of issues really have nothing to do with Alpha and everything to do with the complexity of administering NT Terminal Server, Windows 2000 Server and Citrix.

I understand that Citrix at one time would not sell the Metaframe product to a company unless someone in the company (who, if I'm not mistaken, needed to be certified in NT) submitted to a training/certification process. I don't now if this is still the case.

Finian

Comment

I had the same problem. Edit the permissions in the registry.
                      Ed Piasecki
                      SBC, VMWare, Citrix Professional

Comment

Apply "Full Control" to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT part of the registry for the User or Domain User Group.
                        Ed Piasecki
                        SBC, VMWare, Citrix Professional

Comment

Working...
                        X