Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

index_create

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

index_create

Hi Phorum,

I guess you folks are tired of seeing this one and I'm
    tired of trying to make it work, but here goes. The early part of this script creates a table whose name is 1 year less than the current year and adds it to the DB. All is fine there, now I need an index of lastname+firs_nam+midinit. Nothing is really simple here
    this will have to work once a year every year hereafter, hence; the table to be opened for creating the index must
    be a variable, like new_name or similar. The Professional Edition Reference book that I have is not very clear on
    this.

What I need to know is what changes do I need in the commented out lines of the following script:

a_tbl = table.open("1999_1.dbf")
    new_name = alltrim(str(year(date()-365)))
    query.order = "lastname+firs_nam+midinit"
    query.filter = "substr(datepaid,9,2)=substr(new_name,3,2)"
    a_tbl.query_create()
    copy.set = ""
    copy.db = "c:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf"
    copy.dd = .f.
    copy.delete_o_dd = .f.
    copy.records = .t.
    copy.fields = 10
    copy.field1 = "lastname"
    copy.field2 = "datepaid"
    copy.field3 = "duespaid"
    copy.field4 = "assesspaid"
    copy.field5 = "percent"
    copy.field6 = "trade"
    copy.field7 = "dues"
    copy.field8 = "firs_nam" '20
    copy.field9 = "midinit"
    copy.field10 = "dept_num"
    a_tbl.copy()
    file_add_to_db("c:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf")
    a_tbl.close()
    'a_tbl.open("new_name.dbf")
    'table.index_create_begin("lastname", "lastname")
    'index_add("firs_nam", "firs_nam")
    'index_add("midinit", "midinit")
    'index1 = tbl.index_create_end()
    'a_tbl.close()
    a_tbl.open("1999_1")
    a_tbl.delete_range("substr(dtoc(date()-365),7,4)=substr(duespaid,7,4)")

a_tbl.close()

Where I open the table (presumingly 1999.dbf in this case)
    I have tried "1999.dbf", "new_name", and "alltrim(str(year(date()-365)))"

It always says it can't find the table.
    Thank you all for reading,
    ED

RE: index_create

Ed,

I'm looking into how to do this. At first glance I would say it is "alltrim(new_name)+'.dbf'".

I think your efforts are directed at automating your whole process.

If I am right you are headed for more problems when you get to trying to create named browses through xbasic, and named operations. You have a button that calls a named operation :Mark_run(del_lst_yr) that you haven't created yet.

Are you trying to automate this to turn over to someone else?

Stan
    There can be only one.

Comment

Ed,

I think you're doomed here. Remember that Alpha doesn't like table names that begin with numbers. The following is copied directly from the interactive tab:

new_name = "1999"
      a_tbl=table.open(alltrim(new_name)+".dbf")
      note the difference between the above line and your "a_tbl.open........
      x = a_tbl.name_get()
      ? x
      = "_999"

If this holds true in the rest of my investigations, you cn never get to a numbered
      There can be only one.

Comment

Ed,

Here goes. This seems to run ok.

dim new_name as c
        ' debug(1)
        on error goto error_handler
        a_tbl.query_create()
        copy.set = ""
        copy.db="d:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf"
        when you past the above two lines into your script, make sure they paste as one line
        copy.dd = .f.
        copy.delete_o_dd = .f.
        copy.records = .t.
        copy.fields = 10
        copy.field1 = "lastname"
        copy.field2 = "datepaid"
        copy.field3 = "duespaid"
        copy.field5 = "percent"
        copy.field6 = "trade"
        copy.field7 = "dues"
        copy.field9 = "midinit"
        a_tbl.copy()
        file_add_to_db("d:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf")
        a_tbl.close()
        a_tbl = table.open("1999_1")
        a_tbl.close()
        table.index_create_begin("lastname", "lastname")
        index_add("firs_nam", "firs_nam")
        index_add("midinit", "midinit")
        index1 = a_tbl.index_create_end()
        a_tbl.close()
        a_tbl=table.open("1999_1")
        a_tbl.close()

end
        error_handler:
        msg= error_text_get(error_code_get())+chr(10)+chr(13)+"Error occured at line"+str(error_line_number_get(),4,0)
        when you past the above two lines into your script, make sure they paste as one line
        ui_msg_box("Error",msg)
        end
        There can be only one.

Comment

Ed,

Here goes. This seems to run ok.

dim new_name as c
          ' debug(1)
          on error goto error_handler
          a_tbl.query_create()
          copy.set = ""
          copy.db="d:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf"
          copy.dd = .f.
          copy.delete_o_dd = .f.
          copy.records = .t.
          copy.fields = 10
          copy.field1 = "lastname"
          copy.field2 = "datepaid"
          copy.field3 = "duespaid"
          copy.field5 = "percent"
          copy.field6 = "trade"
          copy.field7 = "dues"
          copy.field9 = "midinit"
          a_tbl.copy()
          file_add_to_db("d:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf")
          a_tbl.close()
          a_tbl = table.open("1999_1")
          a_tbl.close()
          table.index_create_begin("lastname", "lastname")
          index_add("firs_nam", "firs_nam")
          index_add("midinit", "midinit")
          index1 = a_tbl.index_create_end()
          a_tbl.close()
          a_tbl=table.open("1999_1")g
          a_tbl.close()

end
          error_handler:
          msg= error_text_get(error_code_get())+chr(10)+chr(13)+"Error occured at line"+str(error_line_number_get(),4,0)
          ui_msg_box("Error",msg)
          end
          There can be only one.

Comment

Hope this isn't too jumbled. The "send message" window is too small to get a feel for how the reply will look, sometimes. I tried to add the color for emphasis. Ignore the "g" after ("1999_1"). I'm also a lousy typist.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I feel as though I am monopolizing your time. I did take note somewhere that if the name of a table begins with a number that it doesn't make A5 very happy. Although I found out in many cases that it does accept it, so I have proceded on that premise. There was a time that I used y1999 in lieu of 1999 but it didn't seem to make any difference. Looking at the present task, maybe I should go back to adding the Y in front of the year if only to keep A5 from throwing a fit.

Looking at page 165 of Professional Edition Reference, the example at the bottom of the page, I am confused about "Tag Name" and "Index Expr". I was assuming that "tag name" referred to the index name, and that index referred to the field to be keyed on.

You are right, this must be entirely automated to run based on the system clock without the users interactive input. I may go one step further and have it run on March 1 each year because the user likes it to show about 2 months from the year preceding the year of note.

After I finish this, I'll go try your approach, it looks viable to me, and who am I to think it won't perform admirably.

Tunzakudosifitworks,
              ED

Comment

Ed,

I strongly suggest prepending some letter or letters to the table names, whether it be y or yr or whatever. I would hate for you to develop something this complex only to find a point at which number named files can't be used, and then have to adjust your naming scheme backwards to the first.

Don't worry about my time. I'm doing this because I enjoy and learn from it.

Stan
                There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Many, many thanks. I believe prepending the history dates
                  with a letter is the only way to go. In the meantime, I put your modification to the script in and did not get any errors, however; it did not create the index. Back to plugging.

Ifyourlearningfromitthinkhowmuchyouhavetaughtme,
                  ED

Comment

Hi Stan, (me again)

It looks like it is working now, however; it makes 3 separate indeces,lastname,firs_nam, and midinit. I'll give it a shot now to chaning the indec_create line to read
                    ("lastname","firs_nam","midinit", "lastname","firs_nam","midinit")

Kudos galore,
                    ED

Comment

Hi Stan,

I am living proof that a blind squirrel can create an
                      index. I used the line:
                      ("lastname+firs_nam+midinit","lastname+firs_nam+midinit")
                      and it worked just fine.

I guess I'll go onto working to name the saved history files with a "Y" as the first character.

Thank you ever so much,
                      Ed

Comment

It's blind hog, as in

"even a blind hog will find an acorn every once in a while".

Congrats!!
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Thank you. AHA "utopia" welllllll A L M O S T! The following script does the job and names the table with a leading Y ie; Y1999 as opposed to 1999, and adds the index
                          lastname+firs_nam+midinit. One last problem (always has to
                          be one) it gives an error message that it can't find the index "lastname+firs_nam+midinit" although it actually does find it and makes it the primary index, as tested. I have a feeling that the index put function comes so fast that it hasn't really completed it's job before the index put functon executes. Do you suppose that a small delay after
                          index_create_end and before index_put would be proper?

new_name = "y"+alltrim(str(year(date()-365)))
                          a_tbl.query_create()
                          copy.set = ""
                          copy.db = "c:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf"
                          copy.dd = .f.
                          copy.delete_o_dd = .f.
                          copy.records = .t.
                          copy.fields = 10
                          copy.field1 = "lastname"
                          copy.field2 = "datepaid"
                          copy.field3 = "duespaid"
                          copy.field5 = "percent"
                          copy.field6 = "trade"
                          copy.field7 = "dues"
                          copy.field9 = "midinit"
                          a_tbl.copy()
                          file_add_to_db("c:program filesa5v4union"+chr(92)+new_name+".dbf")
                          a_tbl.close()
                          a_tbl.open("1999_1")
                          a_tbl.close()
                          table.index_create_begin("lastname+firs_nam+midinit","lastname+firs_nam+midinit")
                          index1=a_tbl.index_create_end()
                          tbl.index_primary_put("lastname+firs_nam+midinit")
                          a_tbl.close()
                          end

I gotta tell you this, I have learned a lot about A5 from this one function, all due to you.

Thanksamillion,
                          Ed

Comment

Worth a try. You could display a ui_msg_box() to tell that the index had been created, then when the user clicked ok enough time should have elapsed to solve the problem.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Great idea Stan, Thanks.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X