Alpha Video Training

Thread: BARCODE PRINTING

Real Name
    Nip Lewis

Default BARCODE PRINTING

Is there procedure or software available that will allow the printing of barcode. information would be voterID on a report output to scan people who voted.

Real Name
    Stephen Williams

Default RE: BARCODE PRINTING

First, I do not know anything about scaners. But do you need Barcodes or Scancodes? Some have used scanners, and hooked them up to Alpha - search the board under "scan", or "scan*" and see what/who shows up.

Stephen Williams

Real Name
    Bob Henderson

You'll need to purchase the barcode fonts - WASP FONTWARE is the one I use - install the fonts on your computer just as you would any other - (if you buy the WASP fonts, don't try to use their software for converting to barcode, doesn't work worth a d....). You need to set up a calculated field that will take the value in your voterID field and add the start/stop character * to the beginning and end of the value in the field - this tells the barcode reader when the barcode starts and when it ends. Most barcode readers/scanners are keyboard "wedges" that plug into your keyboard port with a Y adapter to connect the keyboard. If you use one of these on a laptop, you MUST connect an external keyboard to the other side of the Y connector or it won't work!
    Hope this helps - if you have more questions, e-mail me!

Bob Henderson

Jeff Moses

Nip, Are you using a key wedge scanner linked into your keyboard cable? Let me know, maybe we can help. We use bar code scanning for our customers to scan products directly into invoices and receive shipment items. Do you have any bar code software in you system. If so, what kind?

Real Name
    Nip Lewis

Hi Jeff

I have a barcode reader that plugs in series with the keyboard. I can read barcodes made using BNS500 in Microsoft access, but I was looking for a way to make barcodes using Alpha5 software. Are there fonts that will work with Alpha5??

Thanks

Nip Lewis

Roy Viken

You need a barcode font. I found one about two years ago on the internet, a freebie with "use at your own risk" warning. It works fine. Can't remember the location, just start searching for barcode fonts and you will find it. Be carefule, there are a lot of them out there with hefty price tags attached.

Thomas Henkel

Nip,
    We use the WASP barcodes here too. Bob is right. They work fine. All you need to do is to add the WASP fonts to the Windows Fonts folder, and they are automatically available to Alpha. When you format the report, just set the font of the field to be one of the WASP fonts, and it will print OK. Be sure to make it large enough for the scanner to read. The WASP documentation is pretty good. We even place barcodes on forms so that tey can be scaned directly off of the screen. WASP Software and hardware is fairly inexpensive.

Joseph Brickler

Really simple. Just get the font 3of9 then you need to have coding inside the field. example if you have a field for the part# and the value is "AI23" then in the calulated field would look like this calc("*"+part#+" *") this will allow the scanner to pick up the information and hit enter.