Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ready for a laugh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready for a laugh?

I'm a flegeing A5 guy who's really struggling.

I wanted a custom incrementing field in an imbedded browse; struggled through all of the syntax and got it to work on a button. Here's the laugh...... I couldn't figure out how to attach it to the Crtl-E event,... you know for a new record...so I made the button a 'see thru' with an 'invisible' "&E". It works but there has to be a a better way.

If you think that the above is funny, you should see what I did to make a 'on row double-click' thing work.

Can't believe that either of them work.

The real problem, besides my own limited mental resources, is that I don't have a decent manual. What are you guys using in place of the PDF? How do I get it and does it have the Xbasic commands and good syntax examples for them?

Thanks in advance
    Ken

RE: Ready for a laugh?

Most who struggled through our early days will not laugh so don't be concerned about asking any question.

Try placing your script in the on enter event of the form. This event fires whenever a form is put into the enter mode. You might also use the on enter record event of the table which fires when the table is put into the enter mode. Another way would be to allow entry of a new record only with a custom button (disable the toolbar and don't allow cntrl-E) and place your script in the custom button.

You can order two reference books by Dr. Peter Wayne direct from Alpha. These are tutorial in nature and were written in the Version 3 days but are equally applicable to Version 4. We'll worth the price. The PDF manuals are available from a company that prints them when you order.

Go to Alpha's home page and you'll see a description of Dr. Wayne's books in the reference book section.

When you choose Alpha 4 on the little menu at the left of the page you'll see a link for documentation. Click there and you'll be able to order the printed reference manuals. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ken,

Hmmmmm....There isn't much except for Dr. Peter Wayne's "Xbasic For Everyone". It's been around for awhile but still has alot of very useful code. Check out the Alpha home page.

I suspect there will be a new book & documentation with the release of version 5.

Good Luck. Hey, you're not as bad off as you think and certainly not the only one. There are others in your club.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

...and if you haven't already been there, check www.learn alpha.com and check out the articles.

Comment

We all struggled too.

The xbasic manual is on the alpha disk in a .doc format.
          I opened it in winword an printed all 500+ pages. It does a pretty good job, (not the best I ever saw)but Alpha's books were never the easiest. The program works well though

I have been using alpha since about 1991, so I know

Dave Mason
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

There does seem to be a fair amount of documentation with ver. 5, having perused the beta docs. Speaking of which, ver. 5 is a mind-blower! I still can't believe the extent of new features. It is truly staggering. If it all works relatively bug free, the database world should take note to say the least.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

I take it that you've seen the beta of Ver-5.

Are you at liberty to discuss what's in there (Ver-5)?

If not, would it make you feel better spilling the beans if I pointed a finger-gun in your direction so you could claim you spoke under duress while at gunpoint? (LOL)

I'm literally amazed that it seems that nobody knows of A5. It really bewilders me.

Thanks for sharing,
              Mike
              Thank you,
              Mike Konoff

Comment

One of the hardest things about being a beta tester is not being able to discuss new features. From a manufacturer's viewpoint this is entirely understandable - you don't want the competition to know what you're up to so that you can maintain an edge. Another problem that can arise is that while a new feature might look fine to the testers, the manufacturer may have to change their mind and drop a feature for a variety of reasons that surface during their internal testing. Also, comments by beta testers could be misinterpreted by other users to indicate things that aren't as infered. Saves the developers a lot of hassel by not having to "set the record straight" when those issues come up later. I know that I would probably screw up describing some of the new features enough to cause a lot of confusion.

But, believe me, your gonna love v5! There are so many new POWERFUL features that I don't even know what half of them are. While you won't have to redesign your apps, you're going to want to make some modifications to take advantage of some really great stuff . . .

And bribing me with cookies won't help.

Comment

As Jim Rowlan said, I don't feel free to reveal what Alpha & Selwyn have not already revealed on this board. Selwyn has said there will be spell checking, file security and lots, lots more. Sorry, I can't say more.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

>>I'm literally amazed that it seems that nobody knows of A5. It really bewilders me.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter, you know, I'd love to tell them about all the new features that have been added to the **************, and maybe leak a little about *******, but it would be wrong. Aren't the new ************** GREAT!?! After you learn how to do it it only takes a minute or two to do what Access or VB would take an hour or so do to (and, at best, if you modularized it in VB or VBA, you'd only have part of what v5 has). I plan on rewriting at least one script on just about every form to take advantage of that! I've already written in (and commented out) the ********** and ******* sequences. They'll save a lot of code (and my butt) in "universalizing" some of the code. Those scripts will shrink by a 2/3 or more.

In short, v5 is unbelievable. Most other companies would hold half the stuff and use it for a future release so they could sell it again. (I can tell you from experience doing beta for MS that they do.) The upgrade (in terms of features) will be more major than from v1 to v4, except that there isn't a need for any conversion from v4 that I've seen. Anyone using v1 should convert to v4 now to have their code up to the Win98 standard methods (the .method stuff) so they can just concentrate on adding the new features, where they want to.

And don't count the * and try to figure them out. They're random lengths. And as far as for all of you who have sent me emails trying to get me to leak confidential info, you didn't even try to bribe me with cookies!

(It's kinda like when you're a little kid waiting for Christmas morning so you can open the presents . . . it'll get here and you'll just have to wait.)

Comment

Working...
                      X