Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report group on 3 fields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report group on 3 fields?

I need to group a report by "chemical". However, the same chemical can occupy any one of three different fields:
    Chemical A
    Chemical B
    Chemical C

For example, the chemical "ammonia" may appear in a record as either Chemical A, B, or C, combined with 2 other chemicals. I want my report to summarize ALL of the ammonia data, regardless of the field it occupies. How can I do this?

RE: Report group on 3 fields?

Try filtering by using the LEFT function.
    LEFT(compound,5)for ammonia and ammonium compounds it would filter using "ammon" for the group. Compound would be your field.
    I've been in the lab field for quite awhile (22 yrs) and use A5v4 for all lab applications. I haven't found an application that alpha can't perform.

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Becky, if Robert's suggestion doesn't solve your problem you might consider using an intermediate table.

You could make three passes through your source table.
      On first pass, copy the necessary fields to the temporary table if Chemical A field equals Ammonia.

On second pass, copy the necessary fields to the temporary table if chemical B field equals ammonia.

On third pass, copy the necessary fields to the temp table if chemical c field equals ammonia.

Then base your report on the temp table, grouping by the single chemical field.

Hope this helps.

-- tom

Comment

Becky,

Just to be perfectly clear (as Nixon used to say) each of your three fields can only hold a single chemical but a given chemical can be in any one of the fields.

Please confirm that this is the setup.

Thanks,
        Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

YES. The same chemical name may be listed in different records under EITHER the ChemicalA field OR the ChemicalB field OR the ChemicalC field.

Comment

I guess I don't understand. How do I incorporate all 3 fields into this expression? I'm actually working with labeled combinations of herbicide trade names - for example: Roundup + Banvel + 2,4-D OR Banvel + Tordon + Roundup (in the ChemicalA, ChemicalB, and ChemicalC fields).

From these 3 chemical combinations, I need a report giving totals of each chemical distributed.

Comment

Tom-
              I'll need to think on this a bit. Are you suggesting setting up a Copy or Post Operation? I appreciate your advise.

-becky

Comment

Hi Becky,
                If I'm understanding you right, then in your report a given record could potentially need to be included in 3 different groups on your desired report. You have 3 fields and if each was populated then that record would need to be included 3 times. I'm thinking you'd need an intermediate table, zap the intermediate table, then step through your records via xbasic and write a record to the intermediate table for every field that was populated, then base the report on the intermediate table.

Jim

Comment

Hi Becky,
                  After re-reading your post, I'm thinking you only want to have the report show one chemical at a time. Is this right? If so, make a calculated field. called calc_1 on the report with the expression: field1+field2+field3 (assuming character fields). Then you could set a global variable with the name of the chemical you want your report based on, lets call the variable 'chem_name'. Now in the detail properties of your report set the filter something like: chem_name $ calc_1.

I've had trouble getting A5 to filter records based on calculated fields on the report, so you may have to create a field for this purpose in the table, same expression should do.

Jim

Comment

Becky,
                    Assume for the moment that your source table has the following fields:
                    chemicalA
                    chemicalB
                    chemicalC
                    Cost

(I know it's silly, but humor me!)

The goal is to copy records to an intermediate or temporary table with the
                    following fields:

chemical
                    Cost

And then base your report on the intermediate table, grouping only on the chemical field.

To do this, using my 'brute force' approach, define three operations.

In the first, copy fields from source table:
                    ChemicalA
                    Cost

to fields in intermediate table:
                    Chemical
                    Cost

In the second, copy fields from source table:
                    ChemicalB
                    Cost

Chemical
                    Cost

In the the third, copy fields from source table:
                    ChemicalC
                    Cost

Chemical
                    Cost

A bit tedious to be sure, but you wind up with a new table, containing fields
                    chemical
                    Cost

and *importantly* you now have three times as many records, but *only* one chemical field in each...

Now for the good part, base your report on the new table, grouping or filtering on the one chemical field.

You can repeat this sequence repeatedly. Just remember to zap the contents of the interemediate table beforehand each time.

All of these steps could be included in a single xbasic script, but you can do it manually, too.

Remember to think about what fields you'll need in your report as you design the copy operations. If a field isn't copied to the intermediate table it won't be available to you when you start designing your report after the copies are finished.

Good luck.

-- tom

Comment

Jim, if she only wants the report to run on one chemical, couldn't she put conditional objects on the form and use something like this:
                      chemical is a global variable
                      field=var->chemical
                      put this on each field, and then use calculated fields to sum the values of each field-column and another to sum them all??
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

BECKY,
                        Can you make another table listing the pest/herb with the chemical name (or at least a field with the chemical of interest),chemical % and then add a field or two to the original table (Tammonia,ect)that would be a calculated field using a lookup function. I.E. compounda*lookupN + compoundb*lookupN + compoundC*lookupN.
                        If you can do the above you would be able to group by "ammonia",ect.

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Hi all,

Martin raises a point I had been wondering about: whether she needs to see products for a single chemical or whether she needs a full grouped report which includes every chemical. Obviously, the former is easier. I had assummed the latter.

So far nobody has brought up with I think is the fundamental issue here. Of course, I don't know all about the data but it seems that the table structure doesn't map the data structure closely enough.

If the data were stored in two tables (product, ingred) and product was the parent with a one to many link to ingred, then designing the report would be trivial.

An inverted set of ingred linked one to many to products would make simple a screen display of products which share an ingredient.

The structure would also be able to handle cases of a products with four or more ingredients if they were to arise.

So before involving myself in relatively strenuous efforts to produce a single report, I would assess the benefits of revising my tables. It wouldn't be difficult and data probably would not have to be reentered.

Bill
                          Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Tom-
                            Once again, you seem to have provided the answer I need. THANKS! I'm sure your approach will work, but I'm having a small problem implementing it. When I'm defining the copy operation (say, the first one you've outlined above), I first choose the table to copy from, then the table to copy data to (either through the copy genie OR the copy card definition). I choose the fields I want to copy over, but how do I copy them to fields of a different name (example: "ChemicalA" to "Chemical"). I can only get it to copy to a field of the same name.

Thanks again for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi Martin & William,

To Martin, yes I think your idea would work well.

>>it seems that the table structure doesn't map the data structure closely enough

Comment

Working...
                              X