Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Uniqueness testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uniqueness testing

I have a database that has a custom unique testing for records that have and pupil code and year_of_test field so that no pupil can have two records of scores for any particular year. The problem I have is that if the pupils score is entered wrong then I have to delete that record and start again because the uniqueness test will not allow a record to chenge. My question is is there a way of disabling this uniqueness test when changing a record in a browse???

another point i have noticed is that a5 doesn't like spaces in directories. If you try to launch an file from a command line i.e. "excel c:my documents1998.xls" a5 says canot find file "my.xls" then "documents1998.xls" Any ideas? Similar problems? Moving the file to a dirctory line with no spaces solves the problem and so does putting the dos 8.3 name but both seem solutions for non long file name enabled programs but a5 can hadle spaces some times and not others!

RE: Uniqueness testing

Richard,

If I understand what you are doing, you are using sys_shell() to start Excel and open a specific file. The problem seems to be in the way [b]Microsoft Excel[b] does/doesn't understand spaces. In order to make Excel understand there are spaces in the file name, the file name must be enclosed in quotes.

I set up a shortcut icon on my desktop to try it out.
    This works:
    C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe

This doesn't work:
    C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe e:\excel\copy of Soc_sec.xls

However, this fixes it: (added interior quotes)
    C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe "e:\excel\copy of Soc_sec.xls"

So the trick is "How to add interior quotes to the sys_shell command" and that is easy - just precede the interior quote with a backslash like this:
    sys_shell( "C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe \"e:\excel\copy of Soc_sec.xls\"

Cal

Comment

Oops. Sorry, forgot to close the parenthesis. That last command should have been:
      sys_shell( "C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe \"e:\excel\copy of Soc_sec.xls\")

Comment

I hate it when I do that - I forgot there is one more quote at the end to close the string. One last time:

sys_shell( "C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe \"e:\excel\copy of Soc_sec.xls\"")

Comment

Richard, I was hoping someone else would answer your question about uniqueness but, since they didn't, I did a little testing...

I defined a table with 4 fields: Student(char), Year(char), Test_type(char), and Grade(Numb). Then I added a field rule to the Year field which says, in effect: "Student + Year must be unique". This method worked fine for me. It keeps me from adding a second record for the same student and same year but allows me to change the score whenever I want.

The one drawback is that the error message when creating a duplicate record simply says "Value for this field must be unique: Year". This can be a bit confusing for users if they don't already understand that the problem is really the combination of student and year.

If this method won't work in your case, either give me more details, post a script/db here, or send it to me directly.

Cal

Comment

Richard,

Cal may have given you what you need but I have a question. Have you specified a validation expression to enforce your uniqueness rule and if so have you used the key_unique() function. This is meant for such situations and may be better in some subtle way than Cal's solution. I believe it would give you the opportunity to show a custom message when the record was not unique.

Bill
            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Thankyou Cal and Bill.

To Cal the excel line worked and so does the uniqueness testing (as you said it would) the only problem is the same one that I hadn't used the standard uniquessness testing before. That is, I was using Bill's suggestion (key_exists but to the same effect) because I wanted a more useful message as the user (my mom) may have panicked at the one you get without the custom validation.

To Bill the key_unique does the same job as what I was using (key_exists) but is easier to follow so thanks for that but it still has the problem about not beeing able to change a record that had been entered wrong.

Thanks again and any other sugestions will be appreciated

Comment

I have found this command from using script recorder

:DefaultBrowse_AVE:Tables:AVE.enter_begin(HONOR_FIELD_RULES)

which seems to indicate the there is a way of not honouring the field rules? any ideas?
                .NOT.honour..... doesn't work

Thanks

Comment

Richard,

Here's a section from the documentation. It refers to a True/False flag. I tested "Honor_field_rules" in the interactive script editor and apparently it just a built-in variable that is always True.

Basically, this means that your default is to NOT honor the "UI Level" field rules so it probably won't help you.

Syntax:

"Tbl>.change_begin( [Flag] )

Description:

Initiates a Change operation on the current (most recently fetched) record in the table referenced by the specified table pointer (). You complete the Change operation by calling .change_end() using the same table pointer. Flag is an optional parameter. If Flag is .T., then "UI level" field rules are enforced when the record is changed. If Flag is .F., then Alpha Five does not enforce these "UI level" field rules. "UI level" field rules are rules such as trigger events, capitalization, minimum and maximum values, masks/templates, lookup fillins etc. "Engine level" rules, such as auto-increment values are always enforced. If flag is ommitted, it is assumed to be .F..

Comment

Richard

>>the key_unique does the same job as what I was using (key_exists) but is easier to follow so thanks for that but it still has the problem about not beeing able to change a record that had been entered wrong.

Check the readme for version 4.03 for a detailed and important description of the difference between the Key_exists and Key_unique functions. Essentially, Key_unique will allow changes to the record (what you need to do) and Key_exists should not.

If you install the expression under custom validations you will be able to supply a custom message to display when the rule is violated. But you must do this under custom validations rather than "value of expression must be true" (or some such).

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

My mistake, i had got the expression under custom validations, but as i was using the key_exists I also had to use a NOT. so I just changed the key_exist for Key_unique meaning that when i tried to change a record it wouldn't let me, but if i had tried i would have been able to input a duplicate record!! Whoops!!!

I have renderred my mistake and all is fine except that i have looked though all the readme, readme403, help and xbasic help and nowhere does this key_unique function get a mention, but then thats probably me beeing silly again.

Anyway thankyou all!

Comment

Richard:

>>thats probably me beeing silly again.

I wouldn't say so. I always overlook the readme and it is hard find things in there even when you know they are in there somewhere. Use the pdf version and you can search for something.

I went lowtech and created a handwritten index of important topics with their pages (I hand paginated the document!).

What you want to read is the second item under New Features in 4.03 on pg. 31. I have copied *most* of it below.

Bill

KEY_UNIQUE() Function
                        A new function, key_unique() has been added. The syntax is:
                        Key Exist Flag = KEY_UNIQUE(IndexTagName)
                        The function searches an index (IndexTagName) to see if the key value for the current record already exists.
                        If the key is unique, then Key Exist Flag is TRUE; otherwise, it is FALSE. This function is useful for checking
                        if a record with a certain key value already exists in the current table.
                        Contrast Key_Unique() with Key_Exist(). Key_Exist() can be used to check keys in external tables as well
                        as in the current table. However, if you use Key_Exist() on the current table, it will report that the current
                        record�s key is a duplicate key when you are in change mode and you save the record. Key_Unique(), on the
                        other hand, does not include the current record�s key value in the search for duplicate keys.
                        Therefore, if you want to check if the current key exists in a Validation field rule, you should use
                        key_unique(), not key_exists().
                        Important Note Regarding Use of Key_Exist() and Key_Unique() in a Validation Field Rule.

Prior to V4.03, you could use the following expression in a validation field rule:
                        .not. key_exist(�lastname�, �lastname�)
                        (where �lastname� was both the name of the index tag and the field).
                        This would prevent the user from entering a duplicate lastname.
                        However, in V4.03 this field rule will not allow you to make any edits to the record after it has been saved.
                        Even a change to a unrelated field, such as changing the firstname field from �Tom� to �Harry� will not be
                        allowed. This is because in V4.03, Alpha Five evaluates validation field rules for all fields when a record is
                        saved, regardless of whether the user actually typed a new value into the field. Therefore, when you try to
                        save the record after making a change to a field the .not. key_exist(�lastname�,�lastname�) validation rule
                        will fire and it will not be satisfied because the key value for the current record will already exist in the
                        index. In V4.02 and before, since the user did not modify the lastname field, the validation rule did not fire,
                        and the record could be saved.
                        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Working...
                        X