Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Group Page Numbering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group Page Numbering

I am new to Alpa5 so please bear with me. I have a simple mailing list with 3 columns. It has one group break. I would like to have the page number start over at the group break. Thanks!

RE: Group Page Numbering

Rose,

I take it you created your group break in the report editor.

Edit the report; go to group properties and on one of the tabs you will see a checkbox for "start each group on a new page".

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,
      Thanks for your reply. I do have that tab checked. I added a group page footer. However; when I insert pageno(), the numbering does not start over at the group break.

Rose

Comment

Rose,

I apologize for misreading your question.

I don't think there is a built in facility to do this but one might be able to create one using calculated fields. I'll play with it and get back to you unless someone beats me to it.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Have you triedplacing the pageno() on the group footer. I am not sure but I think that it will reset at the next group if it is in the group footer

Bob Sullivan

Comment

Bob...thanks for replying. Yes I placed pageno()inside the group footer. Page numbering does not reset when the group changes.
            Under the group properties for the GROUP tab, I selected order on break. Under the Head/Foot Tab I have Has Group Header, Has Continuation Header,and Has Group Footer Selected.

Rose

I really appreciate the input. I have searched the message board numerous times for other problems. I have found more answers here than the manuals or "Learning Alpha Five"

Comment

Hi Rose,

I believe that, assuming your group break name is "Foo",
              if you place this expression in the group footer,

pageno("Foo")

Your page numbers will print as you desire.

Straight from the A5 User Manual:
              "If your report has grouping levels, the PAGENO() function can be used to count pages of a particular group. For example, suppose you have a report which groups customers by state, and the records of customers from a particular state may span several pages. You can make the report easier to read by inserting both the physical page number and the page number of the group.
              The page number for a group resets when the group breaks. The expression for counting pages in a group is:
              PAGENO(�GROUPNAME�)
              Where GROUPNAME is the name of the group whose pages you want to count."

Tom Lyon

Comment

And what the devil are you doing reading the manual? This is supposed to be a help board based on experience and guesses.

Thanks Tom, I never thought to examine the function definition.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Tom,

Are you trying to make us believers in "if all else fails, read the manual?" :-)

Thans for the tip. I am working on a project now that is going to require thsi type of page numbering but I had not reached that stage yet.

Oran

Comment

I must apologize for a momentary lapse of reasoning in mentioning the "M" word. I think it is from a new drug combination my doctor just prescribed for me, Prozac and Ex-Lax. Good stuff. I sit on my butt all day now and really feel good about it.

Now, about that database problem...

Tom Lyon

Comment

Hi all,

I also thank Tom for calling attention to the you know what. But I must ask, has anyone been able to make the page numbering work for a group. I tried to apply it to a grouping level and it returned the report page number rather than the page within the group.

The print version of the manual contains the ominous annotation [test this] right next to the grouping pg number passage.

I really hope it works and the problem lies with me because I had developed a work around so complicated that I don't even want to think about it, much less describe it here.

Thanks,
                      Bill
                      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Thanks guys but pageno("foo") did not work. I finally got it to work by using the following:

pageno(GRP->Foo)

Comment

Well, darn, I knew that. I'm sorry I left that out, but so did Alpha :)

Tom Lyon

Comment

Tom,

The syntax that Rose found to work is in the Xbasic manual under the PAGENO function rather than the reports documentation which you quoted.

I had the same experience as she did and I did get it to work although how it works depends on which section of the report you put it in.

I found it to behave most reliably when I placed it in the goup header and the group continuation header. In the group footer, it was incorrect on the last page of the group--didn't advance.

So my experience is that it is useful but not trouble free.

Bill
                            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,

Wild guess - You did not get a changed page number because the page was completely full so it did not trigger the page nunbering event when you had it in the group footer.

Oran

Comment

Working...
                              X